Feb 17, 2012, 19:52
haha!
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Edited Feb 17, 2012, 23:25
Re: Psychedelic Revolution
Feb 17, 2012, 23:25
No it isn't. I don't think the production values or the song writing is up to the same standard. I think Peggy Suicide is a stone cold classic album, and nothing I've heard on Psychedelic Revolution hits the heights of say, SafeSurfer.

Mind you, what would be the point of doing another Peggy Suicide? It's been 22 years since that album was released. Inevitably, Cope has moved on. This is more rustic. It feels like quite a natural progression from Black Sheep, particularly the first disk. It does retain the same political stance you'd find in songs from Peggy Suicide like Soldier Blue.
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Feb 18, 2012, 00:29
necropolist wrote:
I'm coming round to the idea that it's actually Copey's strongest album in years.

After hammering it all week I couldn't agree more.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Feb 18, 2012, 08:47
Feb 18, 2012, 08:37
PMM wrote:
No it isn't. I don't think the production values or the song writing is up to the same standard. I think Peggy Suicide is a stone cold classic album, and nothing I've heard on Psychedelic Revolution hits the heights of say, SafeSurfer.

Mind you, what would be the point of doing another Peggy Suicide? It's been 22 years since that album was released. Inevitably, Cope has moved on. This is more rustic. It feels like quite a natural progression from Black Sheep, particularly the first disk. It does retain the same political stance you'd find in songs from Peggy Suicide like Soldier Blue.

Does it though? I think this record positions itself a significant distance away from Solder Blue or even All The Blowing-Themselves-Up Motherfuckers for that matter. I really wanted to like this but can't take the gun play (as for me it just speaks to another form of totalitarianism) and I can't for the life of me see where the uncritical referencing of Baader Meinhof and Leila Khaled fits in with being a militant peacenik (his words) or what either has to do with the injustices experienced in Britain in the here and now. The real war of progress is the fundamental antitheist battle of ideas with religious infantilism. It's the first domino. All else follows from there otherwise any improvements as a result of tinkering with the political economy are going to get swept aside by the tide of the establishment rushing back the other way. Just see how much more PR driven outrage has been directed at secularism the last few weeks compared with that directed at Occupy. That's the establishment's core fear of people getting off their kness. That's truly shaking the foundations and it doesn't have to be conducted at gun point.
Myers
Myers
153 posts

Feb 18, 2012, 08:39
PMM wrote:

I don't really want another Peggy, or Jehovah. Already ave them!

Nah, what I mean is the quality - as you say- the production, song writing, singing just isn't there with this one.

There are a few good tracks, but I'm not tempted to buy anything else.
Myers
Myers
153 posts

Feb 18, 2012, 08:41
Myers wrote:
PMM wrote:

I don't really want another Peggy, or Jehovah. Already ave them!

Nah, what I mean is the quality - as you say- the production, song writing, singing just isn't there with this one.

There are a few good tracks, but I'm not tempted to buy anything else.

Also, I think you have highlighted a problem. It does contain the same political stance as Peggy. Just told in a less interesting way. He has nothing new to say, and no good way of saying it.

This is probably over harsh. Guess I'm just disappointed in it.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Feb 18, 2012, 11:06
Only given it one cursory listen and I went from being immediately disappointed with the slightness of the tunes to ultimately thinking it had a pretty unique quirky air I quite dug. The lyrical thing seems completely overblown in this thread. It's clearly, clearly tongue in cheek- which isn't to say it isn't rooted in some smidgen of opinion. Most musicians I know loathe the fact that so many critics and armchair critics focus so much on the lyrics, anyway. Lyrics are tangible and there to be dissected, which is why critics make such a brouhaha over them and their readers in turn think they're a bigger deal than they really are.

Here's an excerpt from a Lester Bangs interview with Brian Eno:

"The problem is that people, particularly people who write, assume that the meaning of a song is vested in the lyrics. To me, that has never been the case. There are very few songs that I can think of where I even remember the words, actually, let alone think that those are the center of the meaning. For me, music in itself carries a whole set of messages which are very, very rich and complex, and the words either serve to exclude certain ones of those, or point up certain others that aren't really in there, or aren't worth saying, or something. It's like David Byrne said to me the other day: 'Sometimes I write something that I really can't understand, and that's what excites me.' I felt such a sympathy with that position."

As to the quality of the music, I do once again question whether Cope would be all that big a fan of his own stuff. Disregarding every folky act in Japan in Japrocksampler then loading his new album with protest folk anthems. I reckon I'll warm up to them much more with a few more plays. The sombre air definitely distinguishes it from the Black Sheep album and makes it its own beast. There are some really disarmingly pretty moments (like X-Mas) which I'm looking forward to seeing unfold into Cope favourites in the future.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Feb 18, 2012, 11:09
This is going to sound rather overly-harsh, especially considering you've always been very civil and sweet, but I'm not sure this album was made for General Myers fans. Still, I reckon you could find yourself humming some of those choons after a few more listens. Just so long as you replace every line with "Bah bah bah".
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Feb 18, 2012, 11:12
Squid Tempest wrote:
I think that is part of why I'm enjoying it more than I initially thought I was going to. It's been making me grin.

Indeed - Spike-a-delic revolution or revolutionary man which recounts the tale of how our hero JC didn't even manage to make it to the G20 demo!!

I've been enjoying the album all week - plenty of great tunes, nice Teardrops-esque mellotron brass, lots of acoustic strumming, mellotron oboe etc. Lovely stuff - best Cope album since Black Sheep in my opinion!

Regarding the guns etc - why can't this just be a provocative stance? Get the authorities worried, shake some folk out of their apathy, get people stirred into peaceful action (this is assuming anybody outside HH notices the album - there's usually a review or two by now of a new JC album).

Assuming similar ideas were worked into a novel or a film and the cover of both had someone wielding a gun would that create such a storm?
Myers
Myers
153 posts

Feb 18, 2012, 11:31
Sin Agog wrote:
This is going to sound rather overly-harsh, especially considering you've always been very civil and sweet, but I'm not sure this album was made for General Myers fans. Still, I reckon you could find yourself humming some of those choons after a few more listens. Just so long as you replace every line with "Bah bah bah".

Why would you assume that?

The lyrics aren't the only problem with the album. It's a bit samey, bit dull....

As a fried- interpreter fan it just isn't what I'm into..

But I'm sure he doesn't make albums for me, or anyone else other than himself these days.. And why should he!?
Pages: 27 – [ Previous | 118 19 20 21 22 23 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index