44 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 22 January 2012 CE
Jan 25, 2012, 12:30
War The Best Of cd1
Great streetfunk stuff. Had this for several years but only recently reunearthed it cos I was searching for other things for my walkman.
Did include the 20+ minute Slipping Into Darkness from the alternative version of their live lp but there's a stack of tracks on here that should but didn't make their way on.
Starts with a few Eric Burdon tracks but I think the post-him stuff's better.

Tripsichord
Late era San Francisco lp with earlier bonus tracks. A lot of the lp is almost archetypal twin guitar psych stuff. Been reading a lot of comparisons to QMS who had mistepped seriously in a lot of people's eyes post Happy Trails. Do wish there were more of them along those lines even with whatever boots I have of them, QMS that is.
Tripsichord Music Box the earlier incarnation of this band had begun with keyboard/1guitar as lead instruments as can be heard on some of the bonus stuff here. Works pretty well on the 8minute Family Song's jamming sections. But by the time of the lp in '71 the keyboardist had left and been replaced by a 2nd guitarist. The 2 guitar interplay lifts even the one dud song on here and otherwise shines in a way I'd think of as archetypal, especially for an lp this late in the SF scene.
AKARMA seem to have the best sounding version of this.

Chants R&B Stage Door Witchdoctors
Pretty wild r'n'b based freakbeat type stuff from Kiwi Pretty Things etc fans. I'd been meaning to get this set for a number of years, finally ordered it before xmas cos I'd read about a documentary on them coming out. That order got misfilled with a Chicano Garage compi I've yet to listen to, seemed like it might be interesting to me as a Thee Midniters fan, so hope it is.
Reordered, had 2nd order canceled and finally got this from U.S. and have been enjoying it. To extent that I might add a couple tracks to walkman if the process of doing so wasn't such a rigmarole.

Nada Awkward Y Borracho ....
Electronic samples + beats based side project from Neurosis sound guy. I used to play one track from this a lot in my early days as a pirate radio dj but it's been disappeared into disordered shelving for years. Still like bits of it quite a bit.

Bobbi Humphrey Blacks and Blues
Rarer groove? '73 jazz/funk lp by female flautist plus Mizell brothers etc. Has some pretty great stuff including Harlem River drive which I'd thought was an Eddie Palmieri tune but is in fact by Fonce Mizell. Other bits may be a bit too smooth in places but overall lp is enjoyable.

The Nazz Open Our Eyes disc 1
Sanctuary compi of Todd Rundgren featuring band from late 60s. Some really good heavyish stuff plus some much more ethereal with surprising amounts of words per line. Rundgren was quite a guitarist, probably still is though i haven't listened to recent stuff.
Really need to sort some order into my music collection since I was looking for this a couple months back and couldn't find. Love bits of this, can certainly listen to most of it.
Not sure what track order signifies since tracks from at least Nazz Nazz and Nazz III are mixed up. Could be chronology since those 2lps were supposed to be one double lp.

Fushitsusha La Mama 1993 disc1
Trying to work out what to put on walkman took 2 tracks from here. Not sure if any of them have names, certainly not as I got them so are down with perfunctory titles I invented.
I think this recording features a 2nd guitarist beside Kaiji Haino from what I read while looking for actual titles.
Gets almost garagey in places.

Trad Gras Och Stenar Stockholm '69
Interestying heavy drone rock. One of 4 sets upped to Dime recently.

Alice Coltrane Universal Consciousness
Mesmerising weave of notes on organ & harp backed by stellar group of New Thing sidemen. Got this in the new 2fer range of Impulse titles but I don't think I've listened to its companion yet.
Also got World Galaxy which is her, band plus strings and is also pretty psychedelic.
Reminds me I've still got to find my Pharaoh Sanders compi which I meant to include several tracks on walkman from.

several other bits and pieces which may come back to me later.

Reading
Document and Eyewitness the Rough Trade story.
Oral History of the indie shop/record label. Very interesting.

White Line Fever Lemmy
Has some interesting bits in.

Stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index