machineryelf
3681 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 22 January 2012 CE
Jan 23, 2012, 16:03
IanB wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
keith a wrote:

Nebulous Dawn: The Early Years – Tangerine Dream
Uneven 3 cd set. I know we’re supposed to like the early stuff better but frankly some of the first disc here is just a mess to my ears. It has its moments though...

not as annoying as the last tracks on side 3 totally ruining the atmosphere, much as I love TD they were all over the shop on the early stuff &IMHO didn't hit their stride until Alpha Centauri, and the cut off point is way beyond the accepted 'Ricochet at a push', still when they did get it right [Cold Smoke, one of my favourite song titles as well]they were great

I think of Ricochet as their peak but there is plenty else up to 1980 worth listening to. After that I wouldn't know. I had the Tangents, the Virgin box from the mid 90s which had some nice post Pergamon moments represented on it and then I bought the Syd tribute album and was fairly horrified by that!

until the Firestarter soundtrack they were great if beginning to tread water, after Firestarter which is an horrendous sub TD pastiche they seem to have invested in new technology and all the nonsense that entails, did synths in the 80s have an obligatory new age wash with wind & waves button
Still contemplating investing in that 10cds for £10 90s TD wotsit but I know deep in my heart that it will
1,Annoy the life out of me
2, collect dust as Zeit gets another airing
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index