44 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Edited Jan 23, 2012, 00:08
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 22 January 2012 CE
Jan 23, 2012, 00:07
Vespertine – Björk
Lacks the consistency of the first two solo albums in my opinion, but then suddenly moments of brilliance arrive, seemingly from nowhere. Maybe I just never played this one enough.

Figments Of Emancipation – Doctors Of Madness
I played this as a result of seeing their name mentioned here recently. I hadn’t heard this in many a year and to be honest when it started I didn’t recognize it until the bit where it speeded up. There was mention that they missed out because they were too late for glam and too early for punk, but really if you take away the funny names there’s little that points the way to the latter here until we reach the final moments. Otherwise it’s the sound of a humourless Steve Harley re-making Aladdin Sane. Not bad but ultimately lacking the sparkle that their name might suggest.

Company / Black Fountain – Carlton Melton / Mugstar
7” single that comes with extra download tracks inc an extended version of Carlton Melton’s Company that is really rather good. He/they are new to me, but I’m impressed.

Nebulous Dawn: The Early Years – Tangerine Dream
Uneven 3 cd set. I know we’re supposed to like the early stuff better but frankly some of the first disc here is just a mess to my ears. It has its moments though...

See My Boat EP – V/A
I bought this for the Animal Collective-ish title track by Rozi Plain.

Also...
Rome - Danger Mouse & Daniele Luppi
The Singles 86>98 – Depeche Mode
Ersatz GB – The Fall
Truelove’s Gutter – Richard Hawley
The Complete John Peel Sessions – Magazine
Today Is The Wrong Shape EP - Mugstar
Ghosts Songs EP – Rain Kings
The Trip – Latetia Sadier
In Nightfall – Seabuckthorn
Red Heaven – Throwing Muses
World Of Hits Vol 7 (Decca) – V/A