IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 22 January 2012 CE
Jan 23, 2012, 11:55
machineryelf wrote:
keith a wrote:

Nebulous Dawn: The Early Years – Tangerine Dream
Uneven 3 cd set. I know we’re supposed to like the early stuff better but frankly some of the first disc here is just a mess to my ears. It has its moments though...

not as annoying as the last tracks on side 3 totally ruining the atmosphere, much as I love TD they were all over the shop on the early stuff &IMHO didn't hit their stride until Alpha Centauri, and the cut off point is way beyond the accepted 'Ricochet at a push', still when they did get it right [Cold Smoke, one of my favourite song titles as well]they were great

I think of Ricochet as their peak but there is plenty else up to 1980 worth listening to. After that I wouldn't know. I had the Tangents, the Virgin box from the mid 90s which had some nice post Pergamon moments represented on it and then I bought the Syd tribute album and was fairly horrified by that!
veneta1
223 posts

Jan 23, 2012, 12:07
It's not out until next Monday (30th) but I've had a promo copy of this for over two weeks now.

For me, this is an amazing album, at least as good as anything they've done before. At the risk of coming over all pretentious, I'd say that it's a work of art, and it's 80+ minute running time repays repeated plays. The only downside is that Joe Volk, the vocalist, has quit the band since the recording of the album. Details of the new vocalist are imminent.

And if anyone's thinking of buying this, Amazon are doing the double vinyl version at the ludicrous price of £8.99, same price as the 2CD version. I've pre-ordered a copy and am really looking forward to receiving it sometime next week.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jan 23, 2012, 15:56
veneta1 wrote:
It's not out until next Monday (30th) but I've had a promo copy of this for over two weeks now.

For me, this is an amazing album, at least as good as anything they've done before. At the risk of coming over all pretentious, I'd say that it's a work of art, and it's 80+ minute running time repays repeated plays. The only downside is that Joe Volk, the vocalist, has quit the band since the recording of the album. Details of the new vocalist are imminent.

And if anyone's thinking of buying this, Amazon are doing the double vinyl version at the ludicrous price of £8.99, same price as the 2CD version. I've pre-ordered a copy and am really looking forward to receiving it sometime next week.

blimey , wonder what Joe Volk is thinking, musical differences? Whilst I'm sure he'll be missed I don't think he was your standard frontman, saw them live a while back and was surprised how low key his presence was. Have always wondered quite why CBP are not bigger than they are, maybe a new voice will put them up where they belong
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jan 23, 2012, 16:03
IanB wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
keith a wrote:

Nebulous Dawn: The Early Years – Tangerine Dream
Uneven 3 cd set. I know we’re supposed to like the early stuff better but frankly some of the first disc here is just a mess to my ears. It has its moments though...

not as annoying as the last tracks on side 3 totally ruining the atmosphere, much as I love TD they were all over the shop on the early stuff &IMHO didn't hit their stride until Alpha Centauri, and the cut off point is way beyond the accepted 'Ricochet at a push', still when they did get it right [Cold Smoke, one of my favourite song titles as well]they were great

I think of Ricochet as their peak but there is plenty else up to 1980 worth listening to. After that I wouldn't know. I had the Tangents, the Virgin box from the mid 90s which had some nice post Pergamon moments represented on it and then I bought the Syd tribute album and was fairly horrified by that!

until the Firestarter soundtrack they were great if beginning to tread water, after Firestarter which is an horrendous sub TD pastiche they seem to have invested in new technology and all the nonsense that entails, did synths in the 80s have an obligatory new age wash with wind & waves button
Still contemplating investing in that 10cds for £10 90s TD wotsit but I know deep in my heart that it will
1,Annoy the life out of me
2, collect dust as Zeit gets another airing
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Jan 23, 2012, 16:21
Jan 23, 2012, 16:21
machineryelf wrote:
did synths in the 80s have an obligatory new age wash with wind & waves button

No but FM synthesis was mostly terrible, but thats no excuse tbh as good things remained possible.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Edited Jan 23, 2012, 16:51
Jan 23, 2012, 16:50
stray wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
did synths in the 80s have an obligatory new age wash with wind & waves button

No but FM synthesis was mostly terrible, but thats no excuse tbh as good things remained possible.

had to google FM synthesis but it led straight to this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmp9yqhsjqg
it's a video of every bad thing that happened in the 80s

I suspect it all got easier to get something via a few button tweaks rather than the faff about with ELP style walls of wires and inputs,was it Depeche Mode where live one of them did all the hard work and the rest pressed a button now and then and threw shapes to make it look good

this sounds like TD [because it is] but also sounds tinny and processed beyond belief
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUhUBW04PPQ&feature=related start of a slippery slope IMHO
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Edited Jan 23, 2012, 17:00
Jan 23, 2012, 16:53
Albums

Arcadium - Breathe Awhile (becoming strangely obsessed with this)
Psychic Ills - Hazed Dream
Master Musicians of Bukkake - Totem I
Master Musicians of Bukkake - Totem II
Master Musicians of Bukkake - Totem III
Circle - Rautatie
Corvus Corax - Sverker
Annapurna Illusion - Life is an Illusion
Tangerine Dream - Finnegan's Wake
Tangerine Dream - Alpha Centauri
The Doors - L.A. Woman [40th Anniversary]
The Moving Sidewalks - Flash
Trish Keenan - Trish's Mind Bending Motorway Mix
JuJu (Justin Adams & Juldeh Camara) - In Trance
Justice - Audio, Video, Disco
Pharaoh Overlord - II
Andy Votel - Music Minus Music
White Hills - Live At Roadburn
Stomu Yamash'Ta's East Wind - Freedom is Frightening
Metallica - Beyond Magnetic EP
Ben Sommers - Avocado Chip

Tracks

Wumpscut - Grobian (Kosmische Boy Remix)
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - Mustt Mustt (Massive Attack remix)
Django Django - Default
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Jan 23, 2012, 17:50
veneta1 wrote:
Crippled Black Phoenix - (Mankind) The Crafty Ape. A masterpiece! I'll be amazed if there's a better album released this year

That's some claim. Will have to check this one out then - bit partial to some phoenix.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Edited Jan 23, 2012, 17:57
Jan 23, 2012, 17:54
keith a wrote:

See My Boat EP – V/A
I bought this for the Animal Collective-ish title track by Rozi Plain.

I have a Rozi Plain album somewhere if you want a copy? Very simple and minimal, yet quite lush too
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 23, 2012, 18:38
8^)

Opeth - Heritage
Justice- Audio Video Disco
Najma - Vivid
Bach - The Brandenberg Concertos
Berlioz - Symphony Fantastique (Thanks Ian!)
Julian Cope - The Jehovah Coat Sessions
Anokha - Sounds of the Asian Underground.
Solus 3 - Corner of the World.
The Orb and DAVE Gilmour - Metallic Spheres
Miriam Jones - Fire Lives
Kate Bush - 50 Words for Snow. (I feel a Kate-athon about to happen!)
Orbital - Snivilsation
Rosetta Stone - Adrenaline 12"
Voice of the Seven Woods - S/T
Nebula - To The Centre

Have a nice week pholx. x
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index