Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 1 January 2012 CE

21 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 1 January 2012 CE
Jan 02, 2012, 17:51
SunnO))): OO Void (reissue). I wasn't sure whether to get this as only really listen to Altar and Monoliths but glad I did (been on heavy rotation). Not yet listened to the Nurse with Wound cd that came with it.

Oneida: Pre-teen Weaponry
Oneida: Rated-O (Disc 2)

Julian Cope: Interpreter & Odin

Six Organs of Admittance: Asleep on the Floodplain
200 Years: S/t. This is Ben Chasny (Six Organs) and the Magic Markers singer/guitarist Elisa Ambrogio. Utterly gorgeous record, v intimate recording (my cat thought there was a stranger in the house when he first heard her voice!). Restrained acoustic from Chasny as he continues to 'explore the guitar' (annoying when he says stuff like that in interviews as he must be one of the best guitarists around for the breadth of his acoustic/electric playing!).

Dead Skeletons - Dead Magick

Master Musicians of Bukkake - Totem III

Tangerine Dream - Zeit

And today I've been on bandcamp listening to two of Cope's January recommendations: Kogumaza and Yamantaka/Sonic Titan. Really enjoyed both - first music of 2012 bought! (I mean first 2012 purchases they were of course both released last year).

This is a review of YT/ST on their bandcamp page:

The key to Yamantaka’s sound lies in their uninhibited admixture of East and West, their commingling of the band’s ancestral musics with more contemporary genres to explore the complications and contradictions of dual identity. By simultaneously inhabiting a variety of cultural forms, the band shatters the comfort with which colonialist cultures have appropriated the image and art of Asian and First Nations peoples to assemble a wholly new hybrid form. This is Noh-Wave, and it draws from both pop and J-pop, British prog and Japanese psychedelia, punk rock and Iroquois core, black metal and Chinese Opera, noise music and Noh theatre. The resultant sounds could be seductively soft (as heard on “Hoshi Neko”) or electrifyingly loud (as heard on “Reverse Crystal // Murder of a Spider), but they’re invariably the stuff of a visionary new approach to popular music. --GL
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index