Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Jan 02, 2012, 03:32
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 1 January 2012 CE
Jan 02, 2012, 03:31
redfish365 wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
[quote="Moon Cat"]
Also got Broadsword & the Beast btw - sounds good on 1st couple of listens. Ta for the pointer.

I love Broadsword!
I got it on vinyl when it first came out and dug it instantly and still find myself going back to it. It holds up quite a bit better than some of the other Tull albums of the era such as A and Under Wraps.

I agree. I'm no Tull expert but even I can see there was definitely a moment where they seemed to get overly seduced by the 'exciting' new technology on offer- like many bands of their vintage - to the detriment of the songs. To be fair, I can't blame 'em. Any band with proggish tendencies were almost damned if they do and damned if they don't when it came to dalliances with electronics and "ooh wow" synth sounds.
Underwraps especially suffers from letting the stuff more or less overwrite the songs as perfectly illustrated by the 2 versions of the title track.

Broadsword seemed to strike the best balance between the old and the (then) new with Tull. The artwork alone harks back to a more organic, 'mythical' era and the sheer strength of the songs overpowers any unwitting fromage overdose with the tech of the day.

I'd love to see Tull go into the studio and do what a lot of bands of their age have been doing and just seek to make the "....est" album they can, even to the point of absolute cliche. Just make a really, full on, vaguely mental Tull album, so stupidly, resoundingly Tull it stands on one leg.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index