IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jan 02, 2012, 14:56
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 1 January 2012 CE
Jan 02, 2012, 14:55
Squid Tempest wrote:

999 - S/T and Separates
In a bit of a pop punk mood. These went down a treat as a £3.99 twofer.

The synchronicity between HH heads never ceases to amaze me. I've been playing those two a lot the last couple of weeks. Alongside the first UK Subs album. 999 were much maligned as second wave chancers but the records stand up a treat. If you like these then the Bang-Bang album that served as the OST to "Brothers in the Head" is one you must hear too.

Glad you liked the Crimson album. Like a lot of Fripp releases it seemed to get ignored by reviewers. Maybe like Bill Nelson he has simply sick and tired of paying publicists to send free music to "musically illiterate" rock critics. With a fan base that big and active I guess you can afford to be stand offish with the media. Still seems odd to me that so many obviously intelligent 60s and 70s musicians (Elvis C is another one) who did so well out of being flavour of the season in previous decades can't accept that the wheel of rock fashion never stops turning. It's not like 70s critics were any smarter or more sensitive just because they liked their stuff at the time.

Speaking of getting a "look-in" thanks for on-going big-up for the SOLUS3 record. Much appreciated. I have been luxuriating in yours too. I've said this before but your records really are the perfect soundtrack for the London Underground. It's ambient without being passive and propulsive without being intrusive. Odin works like that too whereas overtly Motorik stuff just pisses me off on public transport. Black Tempest - not so much New Age as No Age!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index