Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 4 September 2011 CE
Sep 04, 2011, 18:20
Led Zeppelin: THE GREAT LOST LIVE ALBUM

Aimee Mann: Magnolia

(Ooh - gotta dash. I'll finish this later!)
carlyclub
carlyclub
128 posts

Sep 04, 2011, 18:49
Black Sabbath - Vol.4
MV & EE - Gettin' Gone/Barn Nova
Mighty Baby - A Jug of Love
Los Sleepers - Zombie
Pond - st
Screaming Trees - Buzz Factory
John Coltrane - Giant Steps
Phaedra - The Sea
Overwhelming Colorfast - st
v/a - Pennies from Heaven soundtrack
v/a - The Complete Meteor Rockabilly & Hillbilly Recordings
Dexy's Midnight Runners - Don't Stand Me Down
Faith No More - The Real Thing
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Augustus Pablo - Message Music
Michael Nesmith & the First National Band - Loose Salute
Johnny Cash - At San Quentin
Ultravox - Ha!Ha!Ha!
Ensemble Economique - Psychical
Psychic Reality - Vibrant New Age
The Jacksons - Triumph
Help Yourself - Happy Days/The Return of Ken Whalley/Strange Affair
AC/DC - Highway to Hell
v/a- Those Shocking Shaking Days
v/a - 5 Years of Hyperdub
The Clash - Sandanista
Parliament - Funkentelechy vs the Placebo Syndrome
v/a- Do What Thou Wilt
David & David - Boomtown
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Sep 04, 2011, 19:23
So Ming, the new Black Pyramid... good? I think you said somewhere that it tops their first, is that right? I've got to get it when I can... I'm dying to hear how/if they've progressed.

And thanks for sticking me with another earworm... I can't seem to get All the Blowing Themselves Up Motherfuckers (Will Realize the Moment They Die They Were Suckers) out of me head!

So I assume your allthatisheavy order arrived? Did they toss in any stickers or anything? They're always very generous with me and I've gotten stickers, cds and once a 7" single. Good folks.
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Sep 04, 2011, 19:25
I love that Nicklas Barker record... really want to see the movie its the soundtrack for.
Great shit!
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Edited Sep 04, 2011, 19:51
Sep 04, 2011, 19:40
Right. Where was I?

Apollo 440: Electroglide In Blue

Apollo 440: Getting High On Your Own Supply

Battles: Mirrored

Björk: Volta

Bonobo: Black Sands

Carla Bley: Nick Masons Fictitious Sports ;-)

Dusty Springfield: The Best

David Bowie: Ziggy Stardust Live

Fat Freddys Drop: Live At Roundhouse

Goldfrapp: LIve Amsterdam, 2010

Morcheeba: Dive Deep

Nina Simone: Remixed

Larry Stabins: Stonephace

T.REX: Billy Super Duper

Rue Royale: Parachutes & Lifeboats

Rue Royale: Guide To An Escape Also saw them live in Shrewsbury!

The Cure: Galore
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Sep 04, 2011, 20:18
bubblehead2 wrote:
As an old fan, i've not been disappointed either, think it'll make a great primer for those less familiar with their UA material too.

I've got one minor quibble, mind. It's a real shame that the rights issue with Warrior On The Edge Of Time doesn't allow for it to be compiled as part of this collection as it rightly and correctly deserves.

Absolutely.
Do you know why they refer to "Xin Search of Space" throughout the booklet?
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Sep 05, 2011, 21:37
Sep 04, 2011, 21:03
Curved Air Air Conditioning.
Finally got a remastered version of this lp. Been hoping for one for the last few years since finding some great live sets from them from '70 & '71. Lp now sounds pretty great.

Kevin Coyne Marjory Razorblade
Remastered version of the early double lp by Kevin Coyne. Think lp sounds pretty fine. On this strength might investigate further.
Can't see a listing for backing musicians but this is largely an electric band though there are a couple of solo acoustic sounding tracks. I think Eastbourne Ladies is thought of as a standout track, which it does quite well. As does Nasty.
Welcome addition to my cd collection. Been meaning to get it for a while.

Caetano Veloso Araca Azul
Experimental (post?)Tropicalia pop lp from early 70s. Well its got some noisy tape experimentation while remaining mostly melodic.
Version I have is a Russian remastered reissue from a couple of years back. Sounds pretty great, but I would like liner notes.
Also played Transa through cos I wound up bunging on one track (Filosofia?) when I DJ-ed a Street Feast last week.Then realised I didn't know the lp as well as I should & on relistening would almost definitely have played You don't Know Me the song about walking through Portobello.

Buddy Holly Rave On disc one
Comprehensive compi of pretty much all of Buddy Holly's official releases. Set is arranged so that disc one is hit material released during his lifetime, disc 2 is posthumous and disc 3 is basically rarities.
Only listened to disc1 so far.
Think I was turned onto him years ago by wanting to hear the original of the Elevators track I'm Gonna Love You too which is on their Live lp. Heard the Holly version and it sounds like something of an early blueprint for the Ramones. Several of his tracks seem a lot more carnal than you'd expect from the image. Might be seen to tie in with a supposedly secret fact about him and what he had to 'tie to his knee' if I wanted to be puerile.
Legend has it he was bigger than Iggy anyway.

Annette Peacock I'm The One
Noisy out there avant jazz meets funk record from '72 that has had a limited reissue by the artist. Pretty great to say the least. Apparently a big influence on early 70-s Bowie too.

Saints All Times Through Paradise
Australian punk group or at least coincident with. Influences were similar and I guess at least (I'm) Stranded sounds like it comes from the same place. They were from Brisbane so I'm not sure to what extent they'd think of themselves as punk per se though. After that first lp they branched out and added horns quite successfully.
This box set has the first 3lps plus some live stuff including the Paddington Town Hall set I'm dying to get decent video for, thought that was on the original version of this but it seems to be solely audio. There's also a Hope & Anchor set here.
This has been the first time I've heard Prehistoric Sounds regrettably, should be something I'm much more familiar with. Must get the Laughing Clowns box set now on this evidence.

Pink floyd Piper at the gates Of Dawn
Another lp I should know much better than I do. I've had versions of it in different media since the early 80s. I should be able to tell what tracks lay in what order and should be played when I'm djing by now. Didn't, kicked myself on replay when I got back here.
Wondering what the forthcoming Why pink Floyd version will be like. Won't be able to get it individually til mid next year though.

Gun Club Las Vegas story
Don't play this anywhere near enough and again an lp I should have played something from when I djed last week, also neglected Miami at the same time.
Great internally luminous lp that I hear echoes of Television, QMS, Patti Smith and various dirty realist authors in. think it would now be thought of as Americana. At the time it was doing its own thing I think, glam proto-goth photos on the back cover might be deceptive.

Rolling Stones the psychedelic era singles from London Years
Still can't believe somebody instructed me to take 2000 Light Years from Home off when I djed last week.Too melancholy? Utterly gorgeous song.
What is normal response to dunderheaded requests like that?
Anyway stuck on the full run of Satanic Majesties singles to the end of that disc when I got home. Fantastic music. Had really wanted to play Child Of The Moon which ends that disc since its an all time fav song ever since i had it on No Stone Unturned.

reading
Hotel Babylon which was trash but fun, about the goings on behind the scenes at a hotel. Compiled from various anecdotes into a 24 hour structure. Not bad for 20c anyway

Fela This Bitch Of a Life
essential reading for any fan of his music. Based on interviews done with Carlos Moore this is Fela narrating his own biography.
I'm currently at the police station story that inspired expensive Shit.
Stevo
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Sep 04, 2011, 21:17
The Sea Cat wrote:
Acid Mothers Temple:
IAO Chant From The Cosmic Inferno/Magical Power From Mars/Pink Lady Lemonade

OM: Conference Of The Birds/Variations On A Theme

Julian Cope: RITE

Parson Sound: s/t

Sun Ra: Nuclear War/Languidity/Other Planes Of There/The Heliocentric Worlds Of../Space Probe

Fern Knight: Castings/Music For Witches And Alchemists

Ravi Shankar & Yehudi Menuhin: West Meets East

John Martyn: Heaven And Earth

Clannad: Dulaman

George Harrison: Wonderwall Music

now playing: Sri Aurobindo/Return Into Earth

Shankar/Menuhin, stunningly brilliant, cheers SC. John Martyn and George Harrison as well.
Kentauren
Kentauren
27 posts

Sep 04, 2011, 21:56
It's brilliant! Thanks for the heads up - it was your post in the Goblin-thread that got me interested in it.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Edited Sep 05, 2011, 06:56
Sep 04, 2011, 22:31
Squid Tempest wrote:
bubblehead2 wrote:
As an old fan, i've not been disappointed either, think it'll make a great primer for those less familiar with their UA material too.

I've got one minor quibble, mind. It's a real shame that the rights issue with Warrior On The Edge Of Time doesn't allow for it to be compiled as part of this collection as it rightly and correctly deserves.

Absolutely.
Do you know why they refer to "Xin Search of Space" throughout the booklet?

because that's what it says on the cover

http://media.photobucket.com/image/hawkwind%20in%20search%20of%20space/Gifbarthramone/JJSpacestation/1262350059_front.jpg?t=1274380572

why it says that is another matter, nothing much on google, maybe it's just a layout thing to balance it up, damn fine cover though

edit- even the Sethman doesn't know, so how can we mere mortals find out
''And another thing: why does the sleeve clearly exhibit the true title of the album -- rendered within QUOTES, no less -- as “X In Search Of Space” although on the spine and label of the original album it is without the “X”, as Hawkwind’s graphic cartographer Barney Bubbles had so lovingly intended? I believe it was a typographic error, but perhaps Nik Turner’s 1978 solo album, “Xinittoday” for which Bubbles also created the sleeve was so named to compensate for the mysterious “X” omission.)''
http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/thebookofseth/629/
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index