Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 4 September 2011 CE
Sep 04, 2011, 22:54
The Doors - Morrison Hotel

ABBA - The Album
ABBA - Arrival (these were actually chosen for a father/daughter listening session by my 2-year old. Considering the might of the Andersson/Ulveaus songwriting partnership you think they'd have rejected drek like 'When I Kissed The Teacher' or 'Dum Dum Diddle', but there is much pop genius elsewhere to make up for these slips).

The Beatles - Yellow Submarine (again, a favourite of my daughter's; amazingly I'm finding hearing these songs on repeat is actually making my jaded ears appreciate them afresh. The sonic power of the dangerously messy 'It's All Too Much' gets more and more affecting with each additional listen, almost as if the more you hear it the more it starts to hit you on an emotional level).

Steve Winwood - Winwood (excellent UA double LP covering highlights from The Spencer Davis Group through to John Barleycorn, with a bit of Blind Faith thrown in).

The Beach Boys - Live In London (very impressive live recording, showing the Brian-less, but far from brainless, line-up tackling recent hits, b-sides and album tracks with panache. Wish the surviving members would bury the hatchet and play a live set like this).

Elvis Presley - From Elvis In Memphis/Back In Memphis (new Legacy double set, handsomely packaged and with all the offcuts from the Memphis sessions as bonus tracks. I almost prefer Back In Memphis to its more celebrated predecessor. Considering it is made up of rejects from that album, the material is frequently incredible, with imaginative arrangements and finely tuned performances making even the lesser material sound rather special. If only all Elvis's albums were so rewarding).

Bobbie Gentry - Delta Sweete
Bobbie Gentry - Patchwork (Bobbie's two concept albums, from both ends of her comparatively brief career. The first of these is the best, but both show an originality and creativity rare in her field. Why is she not more widely celebrated?)

Linda Ronstadt/The Stone Poneys - Evergreen, Vol 2
Linda Ronstadt/The Stone Poneys & Friends - Volume 3 (Some wonderful material on these last two LPs from Linda's first band which fell apart during the making of the latter. Definitive interpretations of Mike Nesmith and Tim Buckley compositions are among the many highlights).

Paul Simon - The Rhythm Of The Saints
Paul Simon - So Beautiful Or So What (Just played the newie once so far, but was quite impressed by the off-the-wall touches in the arrangements, and some of the song-writing sounds more interesting than his other more recent albums. The 1990 follow-up to Graceland is still one I return to regularly, though. Full of beautiful contributions from his Brazilian collaborators, especially the sublime Milton Nascimento).

Arnold Bax - Symphonic Poems
Vaughan Williams - Orchestral Favourites
Beethoven - Emperor Concerto (I've been hitting the Naxos CDs again this week. Bax I was moved to check out after reading 'Electric Eden', and I wasn't disappointed. RVW's 'Fantasia On A Theme By Thomas Tallis' is one of the most haunting pieces of music I've ever heard. The 2nd Movement of the Emperor Concerto is used to wonderful effect in 'Picnic At Hanging Rock' which I watched this week, so I had to return to the source to maintain some of the film's unique mood).
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Sep 04, 2011, 23:08
Kentauren wrote:
It's brilliant! Thanks for the heads up - it was your post in the Goblin-thread that got me interested in it.

Ah! Well cool! Glad you like it too!
You have the Morte Macabre album I assume...
I love cool horror/thriller soundtracks and Barker's is the best new one I've heard in eons!
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Sep 05, 2011, 01:02
redfish365 wrote:
So Ming, the new Black Pyramid... good? I think you said somewhere that it tops their first, is that right? I've got to get it when I can... I'm dying to hear how/if they've progressed.

As it turns out, it's a compilation of single tracks but is no less essential for it. I know your tastes well enough to know you'll love it as much as I do. It's more 'simple' than the first album (early tracks - makes sense) but more catchy for it.

redfish365 wrote:
And thanks for sticking me with another earworm... I can't seem to get All the Blowing Themselves Up Motherfuckers (Will Realize the Moment They Die They Were Suckers) out of me head!

My pleasure. I absolutely adore that Black Sheep album, and to my ears that track is the catchiest 'pop' song JC has done for a fair while.

redfish365 wrote:
So I assume your allthatisheavy order arrived? Did they toss in any stickers or anything? They're always very generous with me and I've gotten stickers, cds and once a 7" single. Good folks.

There were a few things that were pretty uninteresting but the absolute goldmine was this compilation which you'd love. Get it, it's free.

Right, I'm off to find that Sula Bassana album you linked on Facebook.

TTFN
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Sep 05, 2011, 02:49
Ah! Welcome Back to Meteor City... I actually have it and got it like you, included in an order from allthatisheavy. Some of my faves on it include tracks from Leeches of Lore and Humo Del Cairo which caused me to buy both of their albums which are quite good. Same for Egypt. I learned of Dead Man, Freedom Hawk and Black Pyramid from this set too. It's a real nice comp.

Regarding Sula Bassana's Dreamer album I really hope you can find it for a fair price.
Well and truly its my favorite SB album.

I'm scratching my head at how I missed your post on the Meteor City comp... I didn't even see it til you pointed it out. I think I'm losing it!
keith a
9574 posts

Sep 05, 2011, 09:36
LP’s
Culture in Dub: 15 Dub Shots – Culture
The version of Dub Pyaka that Peel played in 1978 was one of the things that really got me into reggae. The version here is slightly different, but fabulous all the same.

Machine Gun Etiquette – The Damned
An old fave that I will probably love until my dying day!

NY Muscle – Hell
Features Alan Vega on vocals on a couple of tracks.

Get It On – V/A
Bolan related CD with this month’s Uncut. Eddie Cochran is a notable omission though.

Also...
Psychocandy - JAMC
A Web Of Sound – The Seeds
Chemical Chords – Stereolab
Suzan Galaxy – The Suzan

Misc...
Phil Spector In The Studio 1962-66 – V/A
Five discs worth of take after take c/o the BigO. I might never listen to this again, but it was fascinating to hear Spector’s repeated interruptions, etc. I’m sure it was a nightmare to record with him, but the results certainly justify it. It also made me realise just how great The Ronettes Do I Love You is!

45’s
See Tha’ Light – ARE Weapons / Alan Vega
Genius 2009 single which finds Vega at his finest over a slowed down, almost funky beat.

Monad – Bruce Gilbert
Typically abstract number from former Wire man.

Roman Roads – Land Observations
New 7” from one of Appliance. Rather lovely.

The Dull Age / The Sorrow Of Two Blooms - Tropic Of Cancer
I’m surprised no-one here seems to be raving about this lot. TSOTB is very early 80’s – there’s just a touch of the Virgin Prunes about it mixed with an almost Joy Division-like melancholy.

Also singles by The Bodysnatchers, Crystal Stilts, Gorillaz, Olive, Pet Shop Boys, Positive Noise, PIL, The Smiths and Wild Swans.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Sep 05, 2011, 09:44
machineryelf wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
bubblehead2 wrote:
As an old fan, i've not been disappointed either, think it'll make a great primer for those less familiar with their UA material too.

I've got one minor quibble, mind. It's a real shame that the rights issue with Warrior On The Edge Of Time doesn't allow for it to be compiled as part of this collection as it rightly and correctly deserves.

Absolutely.
Do you know why they refer to "Xin Search of Space" throughout the booklet?

because that's what it says on the cover

http://media.photobucket.com/image/hawkwind%20in%20search%20of%20space/Gifbarthramone/JJSpacestation/1262350059_front.jpg?t=1274380572

why it says that is another matter, nothing much on google, maybe it's just a layout thing to balance it up, damn fine cover though

edit- even the Sethman doesn't know, so how can we mere mortals find out
''And another thing: why does the sleeve clearly exhibit the true title of the album -- rendered within QUOTES, no less -- as “X In Search Of Space” although on the spine and label of the original album it is without the “X”, as Hawkwind’s graphic cartographer Barney Bubbles had so lovingly intended? I believe it was a typographic error, but perhaps Nik Turner’s 1978 solo album, “Xinittoday” for which Bubbles also created the sleeve was so named to compensate for the mysterious “X” omission.)''
http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/thebookofseth/629/

Crikey! I never noticed that before, and I've even got a t-shirt with that cover on!! How weird.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Sep 05, 2011, 12:07
Moon Cat wrote:

David & Toni Arthur - Harken To The Witches Rune. V nice minimal saucy pagan folk. Thanks to Tone for making it available. Like it! I wonder if Humpty dug it? He always looked like he'd glug an ale or two in a folk club. Bet Hamble sacrificed things to it - she was GRUEsome!

I'm really looking forward to this. I'm salivating!

:-)
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Sep 05, 2011, 12:59
I've been listening to music for the first time in a few weeks as it was boring me for some reason.

Tangerine Dream - Atem and Zeit reissues hit the mark and reminded me how good they once were
Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues and the Sun Giant EP did not really do it although I wished that they did - there were a few moments though which were good but not enough
Wooden Shjips - West now that was more like it especially played at a higher volume so as to drown out the neighbours dog barking all night
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Sep 05, 2011, 13:19
I just can't get my head round Fleet Foxes. Like Flaming Lips, their appeal really puzzles me.

8-/
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Sep 05, 2011, 16:45
redfish365 wrote:
Regarding Sula Bassana's Dreamer album I really hope you can find it for a fair price.

Not a hope in hell. Plumped for a download in the end, it's OOP and going for silly money at the moment.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index