Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 24 July 2011 CE

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9574 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 24 July 2011 CE
Jul 25, 2011, 00:40
Wild And Lonely – Associates
I know the consensus is that this is at the weaker end of the mighty MacKenzie cannon, but I love it. Sure it’s not as weird and wonderful as Sulk, but then again, very little is. This might be Billy doing pop, but he does it so well. For example, there’s a bit towards the end of Just Can't Say Goodbye where the other voices come in that gets me every time.

Leftism / Rhythm & Stealth – Leftfield
It’s been great digging these out again. Great stuff!

In Nightfall - Seabuckthorn
Another purchase that those nice folk at Norman’s talked me into! “It's essentially guitar workouts with a exotic psychedelic twinge to it. At times it's very exotic sounding and considering the whole release is pretty much just guitar it keeps your attention neatly with lots of interesting twists and turns”, they said. I had a quick listen on the net and decided it was worthy of fuether investigation. Just seven tracks and totalling 20 minutes-ish but interesting all the same.

The Marshall Suite – The Fall
I’d pretty much given up on the Fall in the late 90’s so missed out on this one and by the time I’d got back into them c/o of some excellent releases in recent years this was pretty much impossible to get unless you had very deep pockets. Thankfully, it’s now been re-released - with two bonus discs (one b-sides and Peel, the other live). For those who haven’t heard it contains a cover of The Saints classic This Perfect Day which I think everyone should hear once. But not necessarily more twice!

The Stone Turntable - Transglobal Underground
This is proving a real grower. I had it pretty much on continuous in the car last week.

Also...
Mounqaliba – Natacha Atlas
Ex-Proxima – Black Tempest
Teufelswerk – Hell
No Wow – The Kills
The Village Green Preservation Society – The Kinks
S/T - The Lords of the New Church
Yes / Etc - Pet Shop Boys
III – Santana
1-2-3-4! The Roots of the Ramones (Mojo cd) – V/A
Urban Hymns – The Verve

& Biker FM!
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Jul 25, 2011, 00:46
flashbackcaruso wrote:
Silvery - Railway Architecture (Always find this a treat having seen Silvery play their first gig to a handful of workmates ten years ago and now see my friend James really fulfill his band's obvious potential on this second album. Interesting to read the blog on the Silvery website and discover that he is far from satisfied with it, but the creator of a piece of work is usually the person most conscious of its flaws).

This surprises me too as it's a cracking album IIRC.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Jul 25, 2011, 02:00
Lots of Grateful Dead aud recs, particuarly from 1974.

Best of Emerson Lake & Palmer mixtape.

Feelin' crusty!
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Jul 25, 2011, 03:05
keith a wrote:
I know the consensus is that this is at the weaker end of the mighty MacKenzie cannon, but I love it. Sure it’s not as weird and wonderful as Sulk, but then again, very little is. This might be Billy doing pop, but he does it so well. For example, there’s a bit towards the end of Just Can't Say Goodbye where the other voices come in that gets me every time.

Wrong, completely brilliant!
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Jul 25, 2011, 04:43
Jul 25, 2011, 03:52
Various Artists - el Records: The Legendary b-sides. The musical equivalent of Quentin Crisp. Awesome upmarket pop.

The Watersons - Bright Phoebus. I'm starting to think the more traditional sounding folk like this sounds even more haunting and "out there" than the more explicit psyche-folk. Not a million miles from Mr. Fox and Dave & Toni Arthur's Hearken to the Witches Rune. Featuring the ever-present dual-guitars of Richard Thompson and Martin Carthy. The Scarecrow

Hugo Montenegro - Moog Power

Alastair Galbraith - Morse and Gaudylight

Various Artists - Psychedelic Jazz: The Best Mindblowing Spaced-Out Jazz Grooves

Family Fodder - Savoir Faire - Best Of

Dom Thomas - The Exploding Disco Inevitable

John Cale - Extra Playful

Alfred Schnittke - Choir Concerto. Was expecting this to be all clipped and abstract, like. Was actually quite heavenly.

Thinking Fellers Union Local 282 - Strangers From the Universe

The Raincoats - S/T. Still as fun as the first time I played it.

The Raveonettes - Raven in the Grave.

Enrico Caruso - 21 Favourite Arias. The guy playing on the ship in Fitzcarraldo as it wildly careens down the ravines. Really beautiful voice.

Momus - Thunderclown

Datblygu - Peel Sessions. The Welsh Fall. Once entered the Eurovision Song Contest apparently.

Robbie Basho - The Falconers Arm I/II. I could listen to him all day. Best "American Primitivist" out there.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Edited Jul 25, 2011, 10:17
Jul 25, 2011, 08:54
Simple Minds - New Gold Dream (81/82/83/84)
Grandaddy - The Sophtware Slump
Black Angels - Passover
David Bowie - Station To Station
Underworld - Barking
keith a
9574 posts

Jul 25, 2011, 11:29
drewbhoy wrote:
keith a wrote:

Wrong, completely brilliant!

Yep!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Jul 25, 2011, 11:32
Caravan - In The Land of Grey and Pink
Camel - Nude
Dio - The Last In Line

Joy Division - Still
Bit of a discussion on this elsewhere - I appear to be in a minority when it comes to liking JD's version of Sister Ray.

Daniel Thomas Freeman - The Beauty of Doubting Yourself
Gorgeous and bleakly lovely.

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Apocalypse, Beween Nothingness and Eternity
Led Zepellin - The Song Remains The Same

White Hills - Hp-1
This really is a cracker. Can't recommend it enough.

Black Sheep Biker FM Thingie
Alan Watts podcasts
Bong - Gilgamesh Lives

Hawkwind - Live Chronicles, Collector Series Vol 2, Live '79
I hadn't realised that some of these live albums are really rather good. I've got some catching up to do.

David Bowie - Santa Monica '72
Eno/Budd - The Pearl
Roxy Music - Country Life, Siren
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Jul 25, 2011, 11:38
Squid Tempest wrote:
I hadn't realised that some of these live albums are really rather good. I've got some catching up to do.

On a kilter, my folks & 2 elder sisters used to live in a rented flat on Colville Terrace, Westbourne Park in the early 60s. My dad was a delivery driver for British Rail at the time. There's a 3-bed flat in the same bulding on sale now for £1.75 million. I told my folks, my dad got sort of unfocusedly angry and my mum smiled and went very quiet. Not what I was expecting!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Jul 25, 2011, 11:55
Toni Torino wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:

On a kilter, my folks & 2 elder sisters used to live in a rented flat on Colville Terrace, Westbourne Park in the early 60s. My dad was a delivery driver for British Rail at the time. There's a 3-bed flat in the same bulding on sale now for £1.75 million. I told my folks, my dad got sort of unfocusedly angry and my mum smiled and went very quiet. Not what I was expecting!

Now that's what I call thread diversion!
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index