Unsung Forum »
Yo La Tengo - Reinventing the Wheel

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: Yo La Tengo - Reinventing the Wheel
Jun 03, 2011, 19:47
Right. New Wave Hot Dogs. Great title, but maybe the wrong place to start, I dunno... Just that if I'm unimpressed by a record I just don't go any further with that band. But I'm willing to give them a second chance...
stray
stray
2057 posts

Jun 03, 2011, 19:50
handofdave wrote:

BTW, Stampfel is on Facebook and pretty active there these days.

Thats good to hear, will look about.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Jun 03, 2011, 20:23
Ha ha! Yes, once the lid is open there's no stopping... Yo La Tengo is a curious act for the way they balance the incredibly tender with the full-bore assault.

The 'Little Honda' EP is a nice illustration of this, opening and closing with two very different versions of the same song, one soft, one turned up to '11'.
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Jun 10, 2011, 13:47
I went last night and was very impressed...

They started with the Wheel of Fortune bit and some amusing comments about Slade being better than Sabbath that accidentally opened up the Wolves/Birmingham football thing (though Ira Kaplan did try and get out of this by big-upping the Move!). The previous night was the TV show thing (the episode of Judge Judy with John Lydon on) so that was not up for offer...having Condofucks on the wheel three times the band were apparently irritated that hadn't come up. An American lady from the audience span the wheel and it landed on Condofucks.

So that was the first set and it felt like Sonic Youth/Husker Du tearing through lots of garage rock. From what I recall they played stuff by The Kinks, The Small Faces, The Troggs and The Flamin' Groovies...

They then took a break and came back with a YLT set - a couple from 'Popular Songs' and 'And Then Nothing...' featured and a brilliant double whammy of 'Shaker' and 'Moby Octopad.' There was also a song I didn't know that had very Krautrock drums with organ in a Jon Spencer/Make Up-style. A surpremely epic take on 'I Heard You Looking' climaxed the set....

The encore was apparently a Slade song (played in a Condofucks style) that I didn't recognise. & then a Sun-Ra song in a doo-wop style (which I didn't recognise) and a closing acoustic-ish version of 'You Can Have It All.'

Very glad to have seen them after meaning to for several years...and must pick up the albums I don;t have!!
Kid Calamity
9047 posts

Jun 10, 2011, 17:29
I've never really followed them - and certainly haven't seen them live, but must admit to being intrigued enough to make a cheap purchase, from what I've seen on Youtube.

So, what advice would you give to a Yo La Tengo virgin keen to pop his cherry? What do I try and grab, first?
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Jun 10, 2011, 18:26
Great concert report! Glad to have hit a home run with that recommendation!
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Jun 10, 2011, 18:30
"Fakebook" is a good place to start as it's an early album and a great collection of covers in various styles.

"I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass" is a couple of years old and also has a good mix of styles... both showcase their diversity at different ends of their career.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Jun 10, 2011, 19:49
Jun 10, 2011, 19:48
Yep, I'm with HOD, "I'm not afraid of you and I will beat your ass" and then work backwards from there. Not that "Popular songs" isn't a good album though.

You will however end up getting everything they've done from Fakebook onwards in the end anyway.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Jun 10, 2011, 20:02
Jun 10, 2011, 19:51
Jasonaparkes wrote:
There was also a song I didn't know that had very Krautrock drums with organ in a Jon Spencer/Make Up-style.

Was it this ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBJdufFnEnQ

or this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMs8jmbNbQw

Slade song was 'Goodbye to Jane' maybe.
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

Edited Jun 10, 2011, 21:22
Jun 10, 2011, 21:20
oops
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic