Yo La Tengo - Reinventing the Wheel

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

Re: Yo La Tengo - Reinventing the Wheel
Jun 10, 2011, 21:21
stray wrote:
Yep, I'm with HOD, "I'm not afraid of you and I will beat your ass" and then work backwards from there. Not that "Popular songs" isn't a good album though.

I'll third that. I really got into them with 'I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One', a good place to start as it has some of their best songs and showcases their full range. The next couple of albums were mostly quite mellow, but 'I'm Not Afraid Of You And I Will Beat Your Ass' lived up to the aggression of its title by bringing on the noise to the nth degree. Bookended by two outstanding, and superbly titled, 11 minute feedback grooves ('Pass The Hatchet, I Think I'm Goodkind' and 'The Story Of Yo La Tango' [sic]) and with an incredible array of moods and styles in between, it is possibly my favourite of theirs. Most recent album 'Popular Songs' was strong on the shorter songs, but the longer workouts were comparatively disappointing.
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Jun 10, 2011, 21:31
I was expecting Goodbye T'Jane, but it didn't sound like it. I was on red bull though...
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Jun 10, 2011, 22:15
And I'll 4th "Beat Your Ass" -- as stated previously: good diversity of all the things they do, including some monster jams. Seems the best of their "recent" albums anyway.
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Jun 10, 2011, 22:52
It was 'False Alarm' - seemed to be quite epic, though the space-time continuum had been altered by me ingesting two red bulls not long after the latest episode of Dr Who....
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

Jun 11, 2011, 21:47
For an introduction I'd go with the 3-disk retrospective:

PRISONERS OF LOVE: A SMATTERING OF SCINTILLATING SENESCENT SONGS 1985-2003

http://www.amazon.com/Prisoners-Love-Smattering-Scintillating-Senescent/dp/B0007MANWG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307825121&sr=1-1
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

The Beautiful Ones
Jun 11, 2011, 21:57
Glad you went and enjoyed -- I think they're one of the most entertaining live bands around. I attended a wheel show earlier this year; we were treated to a wonderful Freewheeling set. This clip is from the show I saw (I'm standing in front of Ira; the reason I keep turning around is to check the reaction of a friend who's a Prince fan).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nAdB8fH4pQ
landells
landells
680 posts

Re: The Beautiful Ones
Jun 12, 2011, 00:51
I saw YLT in Oxford on Friday

The wheel stopped on Dump, which meant we got The Beautiful Ones

Have you heard the Dump album that it's on? An album of Prince covers called That Skinny Motherfucker with the High Voice - well worth seeking if you haven't already got/heard it

Great set from Dump followed by a great set from YLT, which included Sandy Denny's by The Time It Gets Dark

YLT photos
Dump photos
oxford stu
oxford stu
402 posts

Re: The Beautiful Ones
Jun 12, 2011, 09:09
morning
a (very) occasional visiter these days, sorry about that and greetings to all.
Also there on friday, fantastic gig. Have seen them before and got a couple of albums but not that familar with a fair bit, but they rocked and did the extended feed-back skronly guitar thing well. Only time i thought they got a bit too indulgent was at the start of the last song before the encore, but they managed to rein it i and get into a great groove.

Spin the wheel thing was interesting, seems quite a few people didn't really get what was going on and tbh i was quite hoping for the sitcom theatre thing just to see what would happen, but we get dump instead, a set from the bassists side band. Excellnt powerful pop/rock with some blistering guitar which really took off with the prince cover then the song after.

Dump set so impressive that a friend and i was wondering how ylt would top it, but they did.

If you geta chance, see them, if not get Prisoner of Love and definitly 'i'm not afraid...'
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Jun 13, 2011, 13:02
It might have been Gudbuy T'Jane, though it didn't sound much like the original and have only listened to the Condo's version once. I reckon the other song - a Sun-Ran doowop song was 'Dreaming' from disc 3 of Prisoners of Love. GH played acoustic on that one prior to just singing on 'You Can Have It All' was the Kid Condo and James M played acoustic...

My regular co-gigger who didn't fancy it (having been bored by them when he saw them support Gorkys several years ago) now regrets not going...
landells
landells
680 posts

Jun 13, 2011, 13:24
Jasonaparkes wrote:

My regular co-gigger who didn't fancy it (having been bored by them when he saw them support Gorkys several years ago) now regrets not going...

You sure that wasn't the other way round? Not that it actually makes a difference... but I saw the two of them at Shep Bush Empire in 2004 and Gorkys were supporting Yo La Tengo - great night. Love were playing at The Forum, which made Ira thank everyone for coming when there was such a great alternative and then they played A House Is Not A Motel (I think... memory a bit hazy... might have been something else of off Forever changes)
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index