Yo La Tengo - Reinventing the Wheel

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
oxford stu
oxford stu
402 posts

Re: Yo La Tengo - Reinventing the Wheel
Jun 13, 2011, 13:38
My regular co-gigger, who was at Oxford on friday, saw them last night at the festival hall. reports they were ok, though not as good as oxford. Condo fucks at start which went down ok but he says too much noodly guitar stuff which put some people off. he got the impression that the band weren't as into it in the larger venue.

As an aside, the O2 in Ox, formerly the zodiac, is a frustrating venue. If the gig is downstairs an annoying low ceiling which runs from the back of the room to about 10 metres before the stage means that any noise from the back is funnelled towards the stage and if you're standing underneath it then it kills the atomosphere a bit. Upstairs though is a good place to go for gigs and i've seen some great ones - Beta Band, Robyn hitchcock with all of REM for enores, etc - there.
landells
landells
680 posts

Jun 13, 2011, 13:47
oxford stu wrote:

As an aside, the O2 in Ox, formerly the zodiac, is a frustrating venue [...] Upstairs though is a good place to go for gigs

Couldn't agree more - I was kinda hoping that Friday's gig would get bumped down (but up) to the Academy 2, which is a far better venue and doesn't really feel that much smaller than the main room (although I think it is half the capacity) but I was happy to see that they have at least decided to move the sound desk to the back of the room instead of having it in them middle
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

Edited Jun 13, 2011, 21:31
A Message To Pretty
Jun 13, 2011, 20:21
"A Message To Pretty" perhaps (was this the gig you attended?):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpnBQD_-n0s
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Jun 13, 2011, 21:22
Some of the best gigs I've seen were at the Zodiac - Sleater Kinney, The Brian Jonestown Massacre, Scritti Politti (& Silver Mt Zion them Luke Haines/John Moore in the old downstairs bit at the old Zodiac); though the place really changed when it became a Carling/then O2 Academy. Whereas once they served something like Staropramen, you then got horrible overpriced piss in plastic cups.

Magazine was really good there as it was upstairs; the sole time I went downstairs was when I saw Super Furry Animals and it is a bit weird. Not helped by folk crammed in the bars and an audience wanting them to play songs from the 90's (amusingly enough they did play 'Northern Lites', but in the style of Husker Du).

Weird that I used to go to gigs in Oxford lots - the last time was either Magazine or Ladytron...I do tend to frequent Bristol and Birmimgham now....
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index