Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited May 11, 2011, 12:24
Re: Great Commercial Suicide Albums
May 11, 2011, 12:23
Not forgetting Jehovakill, of course. Island couldn't get their heads around it at all, not that their opinion mattered anyway.
bauheed
bauheed
896 posts

May 11, 2011, 13:13
Metal Machine Music has to be the greatest of them all, surely?

And finally after 30-odd years has turned out to be quite influential.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

May 11, 2011, 13:14
I didn't think any of Suicide's albums were commercial.

Poor old Kevin Rowland having a nervous breakdown on the cover of 'My Beauty'.
keith a
9574 posts

May 11, 2011, 13:22
Toni Torino wrote:
I didn't think any of Suicide's albums were commercial.

Poor old Kevin Rowland having a nervous breakdown on the cover of 'My Beauty'.

Don't Stand Me Down by Dexys.

Lots of long tracks with nattering inbetween. Obviously, refusing to release a single until it was too late didn't help matters. Great record all the same.
thekremlin
132 posts

May 11, 2011, 13:32
The Cure's Wild Mood Swings. It killed them dead. Although the choice of The 13th as first single had a lot to do with it.
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

May 11, 2011, 13:35
"If Mark Perry had been doing a “David Essex at the end of Stardust” when he released Vibing Up The Senile Man then his shedding of an audience he had come to dislike would have been historically heroic, rather than a footnote nobody cares about"

I'll have to ask him about that - not entirely sure if it was re an audience he came to dislike - it was more about questioning boundaries - those by establishment, those by punk, even those of his own making (I think)

When we played Zappanale in 2003 it became very clear that tastes have mellowed - we got just as rapturous a reception for "Release The Natives" as we did for some of the other standards like "Love Lies Limp" and "Action Time Vision"

Indeed - we got a great reception and a few chins being scooped off the floor when we played "The Good Missionary" in London in 2008

Punk, new wave, post-punk, call it what the bleedin hell you like - did help in some way to open up a lot of closed minds - but too late in some cases - it was YEARS before "Vibing..." was appreciated in certain circles - and in others probably never will be.

Incidentally - I'd love to do "The Radio Story" live with the band!
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

May 11, 2011, 13:50
Don't forget The Clash releasing Sandinista, about as popular as a fart in a wetsuit at the time. Hindsight has been a little kinder to it, being almost critically acclaimed now. A triple album must have stunk of prog rock excess to their loyal following, a brave move at the time for sure.

Some would say the Liars second They Were Wrong So We Drowned was a large diversion from the early post punk efforts of They Threw Us In A Trench.

The Stones - Satanic Majesties request was deffo a little bit of shit to be sure, well except for 2000 light years from home single.

Whilst not a radical change in direction, Bowie's 'David Live' is a stinker of a record. I guess the producers were reliant on Bowie's fans buying anything with his moniker on.
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

May 11, 2011, 15:23
Bov wrote:
Surely Neil Young's run of 80's albums from Trans onwards was one of the most concerted efforts ever to wilfully bamboozle your fanbase. That said, I've always had a soft spot for Old Ways. And Trans certainly has its moments.

Neil Young's 80s albums (on Geffen), possibly the only example of a record label suing the artist for recording 'unrepresentative' material - yet, they released it ha!
smrt
130 posts

May 11, 2011, 15:28
While not a commercial suicide, but one that gave me a WTF moment is Coil's 'Worship the Glitch' on first play I did wonder whether the disc was faulty..

Then there was Jim Jones 'Thee Last Supper'. Runs...
keith a
9574 posts

May 11, 2011, 15:57
I guess Terence Trent D'Arby must be one of the best examples.

I wasn't really a fan and I've never heard the Fish follow-up but it sure killed his career. Hook line and sinker.

Macy Gray's second plotted a similar course.

Moby following the pretty gorgeous Everything Is Wrong with a neo-punk album came close to wrecking his career till Play saved it.
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index