Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited May 12, 2011, 11:43
Re: Great Commercial Suicide Albums
May 12, 2011, 11:42
I read a recent interview re. the unfortunate current reunion tour(again). Mke Nesmith is wisely avoiding this one. When it comes to the brilliant Head, Davey Jones still doesn't get or like it, and is still very peeved that they lost 'the kids'. Once a song and dance man, and all that...
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

May 12, 2011, 11:45
Popel Vooje wrote:
That also brings to mind Slade's "Flame", which may not have been a deliberate attempt to shed fans, but both the film and the soundtrack were certainly a whole lot more downbeat than what their fans were used to.

What a fantastic film it is as well. Right up there with Get Carter as a great snapshot of the foreign country that is Seventies Britain. Slade sound so sad, old and reflective. Not bad for a pop band. Always find How Does It Feel very moving. Great song writers.
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

May 12, 2011, 12:45
....And so is David Live!
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

May 12, 2011, 12:54
Piquiod wrote:

Muddy Waters - Electric Mud...either unifying the blues w/ the 60's kids, or alienating from his older mainstream base...wild album

Funny this, think it was an idea from the record company to make him seem more current. So, it had the opposite intention. Not sure why it would be 'needed' at that point? Black audience not counted? possibly getting more into Soul etc at the time.
& young white audience much more relevant?

Think it sounds better if you forget it being about the singer.
Backing band grooves are very interesting & feature a pre-Miles Pete Cosey.

They repeated the experiment about 6 months later with Howlin Wolf which i just found out has been reissued on cd on Get on Down, thought it was vinyl only on Light In The Attic.

Was the Endless Boogie lp a further attempt at something similar tried with John Lee Hooker?

Stevo
Toni Torino
2299 posts

May 12, 2011, 13:17
'Wilder', I suppose was a classic "WTF?" that stopped the New Romantic tag in it's tracks.

Dylan's 'Bringing It All Back Home'. I was a month old, I remember it well.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

May 12, 2011, 16:21
... and course the Teardrop Explodes, who had already committed commercial suicide with "Wilder".
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

May 12, 2011, 16:24
The Byrds' "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" was a catastrophic career move for them at the time, given that the c&w demographic in those days consisted mostly of reactionary hippie-hating rednecks who would never have accepted them, and that their own fans were still catching up with the psychedelic direction of their previous three albums.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

May 12, 2011, 16:33
Piquiod wrote:

Pat Boone - In a Metal Mood

One of my long-standing faves, heh-heh.

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/review/558/
keith a
9574 posts

May 12, 2011, 16:43
Popel Vooje wrote:
... and course the Teardrop Explodes, who had already committed commercial suicide with "Wilder".

Weird one that, isn't it. I think if more people had heard it things would have been different, because those of us who did all liked it (maybe not totally immediately admittedly!)

In case that read like I'm stating the obvious, what I mean is...I've always thought if Tiny Children had come out as a single at the end of 1981 then it would have been a xmas hit and more people would have bought the album. Colours Fly Away just didn't sound strong enough as a single and by the time TC was belatedly released the following summer it was just too late.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited May 12, 2011, 17:40
May 12, 2011, 17:34
keith a wrote:
Popel Vooje wrote:

Weird one that, isn't it. I think if more people had heard it things would have been different, because those of us who did all liked it (maybe not totally immediately admittedly!)

In case that read like I'm stating the obvious, what I mean is...I've always thought if Tiny Children had come out as a single at the end of 1981 then it would have been a xmas hit and more people would have bought the album. Colours Fly Away just didn't sound strong enough as a single and by the time TC was belatedly released the following summer it was just too late.

Not forgetting this psych pop genius of course:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGkrkcoTILc

The TE were my lifeline as a young 'un with a natural inclination to all things psych. I could never understand my Duran liking mates.
Still wouldn't either.

( I feel like I may have tempted Fate... I hope not) ;
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index