9048 posts

Re: Great Commercial Suicide Albums
May 11, 2011, 18:32
Ha ha ha!! LOL!!
Aidan
34 posts

May 11, 2011, 18:52
OMD's Dazzle Ships is another one. Totally ahead of its time back in '83, and took about 25 years for the music media to pick up on how good it was.
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

May 11, 2011, 19:10
Exactly. I had considered mentioning that and indeed several by David Bowie that could also have proved terminal.

However, both knew their core audience's eagerness or loyal enthusiasm (better than the press and critics certainly did) for having their horizons broadened. A risk that proved very lucky, indeed.

Now, where did Marilyn Manson go wrong?
toasted-whippet
toasted-whippet
86 posts

May 11, 2011, 20:15
Daevid Allen has made a career out of it (or not!)

Big jazzy psychedelic Gong trilogy, followed by pared down acoustic "Good Morning" and "Now is the happiest time of your life" (His best work IMO)

Just gets going again, then its "Death of Rock" and "Divided Alien Playbax" (hate them)

done this several times over
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

May 12, 2011, 00:03
Aidan wrote:
Soft Cell- This Last Night In Sodom. By far their best work. The less well-known Soft Cell material is far better than the stuff that generally gets played, particularly during their later stages.

Cheers Aidan. Added to my to get hold of list. A band I am ignorant of beyond liking what I have heard.
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

May 12, 2011, 00:12
elegant chaos wrote:
"If Mark Perry had been doing a “David Essex at the end of Stardust” when he released Vibing Up The Senile Man then his shedding of an audience he had come to dislike would have been historically heroic, rather than a footnote nobody cares about"

I'll have to ask him about that - not entirely sure if it was re an audience he came to dislike - it was more about questioning boundaries - those by establishment, those by punk, even those of his own making (I think)

Oh well, looks like a little heroic fantasy I have constructed around an album I have come to admire but at the time seemed deliberately designed to send me running for the hills. I think your interpretation more likely, you know the guy after all. Either way, admirable. Fulfilled both interpretations.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

May 12, 2011, 11:06
Yeah, The Manic's 'Holy Bible' did a similar thing. You'd have thought it would have wiped em' out, but it just upped the miserablist aspect of their fan base.
Ditto 'Dep Mode's 'Some Great Reward'

Pete Murphy/Mick Karn's 'Dalis Car' album had a similar effect on me, wasn't expecting THAT sound, but I was strangely drawn to it.

David Sylvian's 'Brilliant Trees' must have been a strange comeback for most of Japan's pop fans as well. As well as those instrumental/environmental collaborations with Holger Czukay et al.

Funny you mention Pulp's 'This is Hardcore', I was pondering that too. Weirdly, still one of my fav' Pulp albums to date.

I remember being distinctly unimpressed with John Foxx's follow up to 'Metamatic', 'The Garden'. Where were all the cool synths and hard edges? Warmed to it since, but at the time I was well pissed.

Second Horror's album was total fan dumpage. Where were all the cool garage riffage, they'd turned into bloody shoegazers!

Ditto Yeah Yeah Yeahs second (and third) long players too.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

May 12, 2011, 11:13
Satanic Majesties is a corker!
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

May 12, 2011, 11:28
I haven't had time to read the entire thread, so apologies if someone else has already mentioned it - but the Monkees' "Head" (both the film and the album) is one example that springs to mind. That also brings to mind Slade's "Flame", which may not have been a deliberate attempt to shed fans, but both the film and the soundtrack were certainly a whole lot more downbeat than what their fans were used to.
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index