The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited May 13, 2011, 09:00
Re: Pink Floyd Reissues 2011
May 13, 2011, 08:59
IanB wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
I wonder if they'll reform.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/pink-floyd-reunite-at-roger-waters-show-in-london-20110512

Nick Mason would like to see them as a performing unit again for special charity events etc. I doubt they'll record again, which could only be a good thing. I think Gilmour's Floyd was godawful cack, and so Rog would have to take the helm. Hmm....well, he has cheered up a bit....

The Floyd show circa 94 looked amazing but was as dull as ditch water apart from Sam Brown and a nice Wish You Were Here.

The recent Water DSotM tour was leagues ahead musically but a bit rubbish visually.

Ironic give that DG, Wright and Mason were supposed to be the musicians and Waters the grand conceptualist.

Even though I prefer earlier Floyd these days, all their music was important to me, and I still hold it in high regard, and when I first heard the AOR bilge that was DG's Floyd, complete with embarrasingly asinine lyrics and musical self parody, it was just sad. There was a huge Waters shaped hole.
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

May 13, 2011, 14:14
Erm, they did reform briefly last night, I believe.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

The Wall: kack.
May 13, 2011, 15:44
I agree, Ian. Bought it 32 years ago and never managed to get into it yet.

But we must be wrong, yeah?
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited May 13, 2011, 18:06
Re: The Wall: kack.
May 13, 2011, 15:53
Fitter Stoke wrote:
I agree, Ian. Bought it 32 years ago and never managed to get into it yet.

But we must be wrong, yeah?

Not wrong just outnumbered by the sales statistics!

My theory is that was the album when all the "straights" who didn't know what to make of long haired music and completely ignored punk got into Floyd for the first time. The big, hard to avoid, singalong hit single taking the band into the world of day time radio, Drive-Time and TOTP for the first time since Emily.

The most adventurous record in these folks' collections up to that point would be Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds, Even In The Quietest Moments, News of the World, Captain Fantastic and maybe Bat Out Of Hell. That sounds incredibly snobbish but I knew and worked with tons of people like that in the late 70s and early 80s who were adults but total late comers to rock music. Nought wrong with that and someone had to buy all those Dire Straits and Tina Turner records ...

I am not talking about people who were too young to have been cogniscent of album Rock pre Punk, more the people who were there at the time but basically ignored it in favour of the Top 40 scene until they got the bug big style through The Wall.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

May 13, 2011, 15:54
Hmmm..Perhaps I was too enthusiastic in using the term "go mental". Yes, I agree, to work at it would be worse. It's just that, even with their sphincters as taut as they no doubt are, you'd hope a band with that capability and moments of imagination to have room for a bit of wild, or even blissful abandon. I suppose you get hints of it....but... if only they'd hit the revs a bit.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Re: Get hairy at Pompeii
May 13, 2011, 17:29
IanB wrote:
Dog 3000 wrote:
As zphage also said, Floyd did get "hairy" jams going in their pre-concept album days (at least through Meddle/Live at Pompeii.)

The "midtempo/rhythmically intert" thing is a bit unfair -- I think one of their greatest strengths was RESTRAINT. I used to think Mason was a crap drummer -- surely no Bonham or Moon (and don't call me SHirley!) -- but now dig that he is really more of a krautrocker than a "british classic rock" drummer. Immaculate tasteful timekeeping.

When Floyd does "rock out" it's all the more dramatic for the epic build that precedes it.

ANIMALS maaaan . . . . and check out the Pompeii movie if you've never seen it! It's no masterpiece, but the best sequences are as iconic and amazing as any "rock film" I've ever seen.

My favorite bit starts 6:25 into this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=646KtkEcPm8

As for Animals. Possibly their best record. Their last record of real relevance to their English origins. After that it all goes very mid Atlantic.

I assume you don't mean an island between Europe and the US,
or specifically Pennsylvania.

One could argue after averaging 2 US tours a year in '70, '71,and '73

Dark Side was the coalesence of Floyd's attempts crack the US market
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited May 13, 2011, 17:46
Re: Get hairy at Pompeii
May 13, 2011, 17:45
I don't think "The Wall" sounds anything but British.

A lot of the plot and themes seem recycled from "Tommy" in fact (daddy died in the war, why doesn't mummy love me? I feel alienated from the rest of society so I'll become a "pinball player who starts a church"/"rockstar who starts a political party". But it all comes crashing down in the end.)

Speaking from my own experience -- I was 10 when the album first hit. LOVED "Another Brick in the Wall", in fact it was one of the first "radio songs" I got into -- cuz what schoolkid isn't going to love a chorus like "we don't need no education / teacher leave those kids alone"?! Shooting fish in a barrel with that lyric.

Didn't hear the rest of the album til age 15, at which point I listened to it obsessively for about 6 months. I think that's the right age to be appreciating "The Wall". It probably was one of the first dozen contemporary albums I owned (most of the rest being by The Police or REM.)
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

May 13, 2011, 18:32
Hence the link.
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

May 13, 2011, 18:37
I can't be doing with all this taking notice of what other people say, you know. I've got posts to upload and shout about, sonny Jim.

; /
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Edited May 18, 2011, 03:55
May 18, 2011, 02:36
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVDCR2o62bg&feature=related

This fellow has gone to great lengths and width to attain the complete D.Gilmour experience.

This type of plagiarism does not square easily with me.
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index