Booker T & The MGs - Soul Collection

Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes
FifePsy
FifePsy
540 posts

Re: Soundtracks to our lives w/e 13/2/11
Feb 13, 2011, 22:40
This week:

Hayvanlar Alemi - Guarana Superpower still getting heavy play.

Knifeworld - Buried Alone: Tales of Crushing Defeat. Kavus Torabi's band (Cardiacs/Guapo etc). Particularly for the essential track Pissed Up on Brake Fluid.

Cardiacs - Sing to God

Agitation Free - Live 74 At the Cliffs of River Rhine

Richard Youngs - Beyound the Valley of Ultrahits

Tony Williams Lifetime - Emergency. McLaughlin at his spikiest, noisiest and punkiest!

Robert Fripp and Andy Summers - Bewitched.

Thomas Fehlmann - Gutte Luft

Comets on Fire - Blue Cathedral

L. Pierre - Dip

Tom Verlaine S/T

Miles - Get Up With It.

Have a good week all.
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Feb 13, 2011, 23:00
David Bowie - Images 1966-67
Kate Bush - The Kick Inside
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Trilogy
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery
Vangelis - The Dragon
Vangelis - Hypothesis
Vangelis - Antarctica
V/A - The Perfumed Garden Vol 3
The Moody Blues - A Question Of Balance
Bee Gees - Trafalgar
keith a
9574 posts

Feb 13, 2011, 23:11
The Soft Parade – The Doors
Interesting that a few folk here seemed to have dug out their old Doors LP’s this week! I hadn’t heard this in a long time. Great opening two tracks – especially Touch Me – though it gets a bit patchy after that.

Galaxsea – Lunar Dunes
What do you get if you cross the first Lunar Dunes album with the Solus 3 cd? This! And it’s the finest of the three IMO.

Chess Northern Soul – V/A
I’m absolutely loving this compilation. Ordinary Joe, Landslide, two versions of Wade In The Water and much, much more. All for less than a fiver!

Pillows & Prayers – V/A
Great to hear Compulsion by Joe Crow again. Fabulous track!

Also...
What’s The Matter Boy - Vic Godard
S/T – Violent Femmes

Plus a few downloads...
Definitive Drop (the post-punk act whose cassette Cope mentioned a while back), that stunning Big Blood set (Dark Country Magic) that was referred to here recently and which I've managed to order a copy of from the USA, and the Natural Snow Buildings album (Winter Ray) that Machineryelf mentioned. Beautiful stuff, but as there appears to be only 15 copies in existence it would appear that I’ll have to make do with the download of this one. Unfortunately.

Also live stuff by Television (patchy 2004 set) and the Bunnymen (a surprisingly good set from last year where they played the 1st two albums and a few other hits – and with the odd exception such as Mac struggling on Happy Death Men, they pretty much nailed the lot)...
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Feb 13, 2011, 23:20
Demdyke Stare - Osmosis
Theshold Houseboys Choir - Form Grows Rampant
David Bowie - Live Nassau Coliseum 76
FM3- Chan Fang Buddha Machine generation III
BEF - Music for Stowaways
Paul Motian - Selected recordings ECM
Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life.

Have a good week all.

8)
a23
a23
1004 posts

Feb 13, 2011, 23:23
keith a wrote:
The Soft Parade – The Doors
Interesting that a few folk here seemed to have dug out their old Doors LP’s this week! I hadn’t heard this in a long time. Great opening two tracks – especially Touch Me – though it gets a bit patchy after that.

I decided to get the remasters of the doors / strange days / morrison hotel from amazon this week with some birthday money - for £4.99 each they are a reasonable snip as i don't have them on cd (other than best of compilations) and my vinyl versions pretty old and crackly
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited Feb 13, 2011, 23:24
Feb 13, 2011, 23:24
Drop featured Richard Sanderson who keeps an interesting blog going on his music and activities...
http://bagrec.livejournal.com/

8)
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Edited Feb 14, 2011, 00:22
Feb 14, 2011, 00:18
Not listened to a great deal this week, dunno, heads been elsewhere, but, there was time for a few bits.

Various - Deutsche Electronic Music
I got this as a DL initially, then on CD, now bought the vinyl. HMV had both double LP's for a tenner each with free P+P, bargain!
I have a good deal of what's on here already, but it has a nice flow. Really like the flute driven track by Kollectiv called 'Rambo Mambo'. Kinda like a lost track off Ralf and Florian album. Soul Jazz put out some good compilations, and long may they keep it up.

Life In Mono - Headphone Music
This is nice, kinda reminds me of Appliance, pop with a Kraut/electronic edge.

Holy Sons - Criminal's Return
More lo-fi acoustic noodlings and experiments by drummer from Grails.
Kinda sounds like a downbeat early Beck.

Rapture - Mirror
1st album by post punk disco types. Didn't like it when i bought it years ago, but played it all week. Alienation is the standout, but most of it is pretty darn fine.

Incredible String Band - Wee Tam/Big Huge
Love this record almost as much as 5000 Layers and Hangman's. Fell in love with 'Iron Stone' when i saw it on the film 'Be Glad...' an odd hippy play about pirates and from what i can glean, fairies or nymphs. All very odd, but also strangely other worldly too. Was done on a shoestring, but some of those foil masks are really spooky.

Bitch Magnet - Umber
Sounds like 1 part Shellac/Rapeman with 1 part Tar and X parts...(fill in with various Homestead/Blast First artists). Love this record, has a real inertia to it. Mind you, was looking to replace my old (dead) vinyl copy on CD and i nearly shit at the prices...guess it's not in circulation for the time being.

Sky Arts showed the Bunnymen playing Rockpalast from 82/83?
Was great, they were at the height of their powers back then, that's for sure. Though for some reason, after the 2nd encore had finished, the Sky version glitched and replayed half the gig again, spooky!

Well, that's about it, have a better one...!
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Feb 14, 2011, 00:19
"All fairly predictable stuff for me."

Yeah, but we love ya for it!
machineryelf
3681 posts

Feb 14, 2011, 09:13
Black Tempest - Secret Astronomies superb 3rd outing from Squid, as equally excellent as the Proxima/Ex Proxima pairing-recommended and due to the oddities of mozilla/the post office it seems to be I'm the only person it has arrived at so far or I'm sure more folk would be raving about it

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Broken Arrow suffers from being just another NY cd, still better than most others best

Stills Young Band - Long May You Run another classic that doesn't quite make the top NY cut

Faust is Last as noted elsewhere it is possible to have only half a band and make music both relevant & good, are you paying attention at the back there Mr Gillan, talking of which in pre Gillan Days

Deep Purple - Shades of Blackmore -The Val Doonican years, but still strangely compelling

Springsteen Born To Run/Darkness On The Edge of Towm/Plugged

Jarboe & Force - The Path soundtrack to a computer game, so slightly heavy on the sawing wood sounding like angry wolves front but still good

Jarboe & Neurosis - does what it says on the tin, but not the best of either

Swans -World of Skin-Children of God it's spring , the sun is shining & happy bunnies frolic in the meadows, non of which affects M Gira

Waterboys - Fishermans Blues

Tangerine Dream - Zeit

Van Halen I,II, Women & Children First sounds like this
http://www.legendarytones.com/brownsound.html & this
http://cdn.stereogum.com/files/2008/12/david_lee_roth-hot_for_teacher-vocals.jpg which might not suit every occasion or taste but sometimes it's all you want
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index