Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Re: Soundtracks to our lives w/e 13/2/11
Feb 14, 2011, 19:35
Squid Tempest wrote:
You wait till I put the mandolin through my battery of FX ;-) No foll roll do riddle aye for me, sunshine.

Ian - I'm a bit worried the CD hasn't arrived. Anyone else not received it yet? Most of those were sent out the same day, so should probably have arrived by now.

If it isn't there in a couple of days I'll send replacements.

I have hopes for tomorrow. Will let you know.

Have you tried an e bow on a fretless or any other kind of bass? Have been experimenting trying to get a cello sound. It's a bit unsatisfactory though thus far.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Feb 14, 2011, 20:13
IanB wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
You wait till I put the mandolin through my battery of FX ;-) No foll roll do riddle aye for me, sunshine.

Ian - I'm a bit worried the CD hasn't arrived. Anyone else not received it yet? Most of those were sent out the same day, so should probably have arrived by now.

Have you tried an e bow on a fretless or any other kind of bass? Have been experimenting trying to get a cello sound. It's a bit unsatisfactory though thus far.

Not tried an ebow. I'd like a go with one at some point out of interest.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Feb 14, 2011, 20:34
IanB wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:

e-bowing a bass [well a cheap as chips one] doesn't really work, i think the strings are too thick to get a good wobble on and because it doesn't sit on the the strings properly you have to aim it carefully, you can get a nice deep drone but anything else is beyond my limited capabilities. This is speaking as a complete bedroom player, but even I can get some reasonable results from a guitar but v.little on a bass
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Feb 14, 2011, 20:36
I need yr address again, apologies. Address book gone awol...

:o)
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

bow the bass
Feb 14, 2011, 20:46
Hasn't someone made a "bassbow" for this purpose yet? Seems like an obvious thing to invent.

Unless it just doesn't work due to physics, i.e. big thick bass strings (too much mass for any ebow?)

How do those things work exactly anyway? I always assumed there was magnets in there, but don't really know.
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Feb 14, 2011, 20:59
Going to see The Phantom Band in Manchester in March and then again at the FOMFEST in May. Never managed to catch them before so really excited as The Wants is definitely one of my most favourite albums ever! Love it.

:o)
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Feb 14, 2011, 22:02
The Glasgow gig's a Saturday...
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Feb 14, 2011, 23:45
my main one of the week is
Pat Kilroy Light Of Day
utterly sublime mostly acoustic folk/raga/blues whatever lp from '66 recorded on both sides of a hitchiking expedition around Europe with Suzan Graubard who plays various things on this record.
I have the Collector's Choice edition which again seems pretty quiet on first listen, I think their No Other is considerably quieter than the longer alternative too. But since the alternative is Radioactive's alter ego Fallout I think this is the one to go for.
Looking forward to getting The New Age cd which I ordered from Rd records. That label seems to have quite a lot of great stuff on it.

Stone angel s/t
lovely '75 semi acoustic folk lp which really is a must have for anybody into the Brit/acid/wyrd stuff. Why I only just got it I'm not sure, been meaning to for a while.
Maybe it was reading the 2 folk books towards the end of last year Rob Young & Jeanette Leech.

Oho Okinawa
Really weird, frequently scatological psych-prog or prog-psych from '74 Baltimore. Now twice its original released length in the Rockadrome Vintage edition. Got some great guitar and drums amongst other stuff.
Might investigate the later spinoff bands on the sttrength of this and what I heard on their site.

Elvis Presley Sun Sessions
which came on a cheap set of his 1st3 lps on digipack cd. Great stuff, was wondering was it this that Dylan referred to as 'the wild mercury sound' since I think it was something he himself referred to. It was then used to reference his Nashville recorded mid 60s material.
Anyway, even if this isn't as beefy as some other stuff being recorded in the same studio around the same time it is rightly iconic.

Sabbath Assembly
Like this, certainly wasn't what I initially thought it was going to be. Far more sensual than the doomy metal I assumed. Jex Thoth's voice is lovely. The music can verge on the loungey then be interrupted by psychy guitar solos.
Must read the book that inspired it.

dvd
finally watched the Sonic Youth Italy '83 dvd I grabbed soon after getting back a month back. band still had short hair & Bob Bert. Rocked anyway though, not surprising with Bert whose later projects seem to have primitive r'n'r meets avant in common.
I first saw the band a couple of weeks after this, they got a really short set before most people including the press arrived, got annoyed blew up a bass amp. Very memorable gig.
I later found out that a later friend helped build Danielle Dax's stage within a stage which was one reason SY had to go on so early.

halfwatched the first episode of Boardwalk Empire, must giove it another go.

Stevo
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Feb 14, 2011, 23:56
Smoke Fairies live @ Exeter Phoenix from a couple of weeks ago

Hiss Golden Messenger - Bad Debt. S'ok, but he is far better live - his voice carries and he has a real stage presence ( saw him on Saturday)

Michael Hurley - First Songs. Just playing it now and liking it so far

PIL - Second Edition. Still does the trick.

Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Stupendous. Am reading 'A very irregular head' at the moment.

Psychedelic Furs - s/t. I don't think they improved on this debut. Hard to really

Jeffrey Lewis & Peter Stampfel Folk Band live @ Exeter Phoenix from last month. An awesome recording. One of my favourite ever Bootlegs or ROIO's if you will.

Beth Orton - Central Reservation

Iggy Pop - The Idiot

Nicolette - Let no one live in your head rent free. Has one or two moments but doesn't really stand up for me. Quite like one of the Plaid remixes.
keith a
9574 posts

Feb 15, 2011, 09:47
a23 wrote:
keith a wrote:
The Soft Parade – The Doors
Interesting that a few folk here seemed to have dug out their old Doors LP’s this week! I hadn’t heard this in a long time. Great opening two tracks – especially Touch Me – though it gets a bit patchy after that.

I decided to get the remasters of the doors / strange days / morrison hotel from amazon this week with some birthday money - for £4.99 each they are a reasonable snip as i don't have them on cd (other than best of compilations) and my vinyl versions pretty old and crackly

Mine was my pretty flimsy vinyl copy!
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index