Simple Minds In Inverness

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9574 posts

Re: Simple Minds In Inverness
Feb 09, 2011, 00:58
Jasonaparkes wrote:
I was talking about this with someone at work t'other day - I think there was some shite Guardian blog on bands who carry on when the lead-singer croaks etc...

Presumably the same article as I referred to in this thread. It wasn't shite at all. Dave Simpson's a pretty decent writer.

Jasonaparkes wrote:

I did point out that 3/4 of the band are there, which is more valid than Pink Floyd in the 80's-90's with only 1/2 the original members in the band.

I think it should be judged on its own merits. Personally I can't imagine seeing, say, Thin Lizzy without Lynott, but who are we to say that Brian Downey should be denied the opportunity to play the songs of a band he was such an intregal part of - and that he can't make a living from something he invested in so much? And if you're an uber-fan, you may well enjoy hearing, say, Scott Gorham play those riffs live.

Where it becomes more mucky is in the case of a band called T.Rex. Whereas there are still people alive in relation to Thin Lizzy who some fans might want to try and recreate that sound even without Phil, it's a different story with T.Rex. Drummer Bill Legend is still alive, but that's it from the classic line up.

And yet, there's been a band calling themselves by that name. I think it started as Mickey Fin's T.Rex, but after he and Jack Green went they became T.Rex even though the only proper connection was that the drummer Paul Fenton played drums on a few T.Rex tracks and toured with them circa '74. To add insult to injury worse one of the current members was a founder member of Saxon, surely one of the most tragic, pitiful acts this country has ever produced. Still at least it's not Biff or whatever his name was, so I guess I should be grateful for small mercies!

A petition was started a few years to stop them calling themselves T.Rex - and was signed by Bowie and Tony Visconti amongst many others. They're now calling themselves The Music of Marc Bolan & T.Rex, though the website address is rather more cheeky...

http://www.t-rex.co.uk

Disgraceful.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Feb 09, 2011, 02:00
The good news (from this and the next world) are that Simple Minds keep going on and on.
unleasHell
112 posts

Feb 09, 2011, 04:27
I thought they were finished too, when their Singer, took a dive...
keith a
9574 posts

Feb 09, 2011, 13:26
dave clarkson wrote:

Didn't he organise loads of punk gigs in North Wales years ago....Discharge etc?

Not sure TBH, Dave. Rings a bell that he organised gigs but couldn't say for sure.

I love this bit on his wikipedia entry...

"After Seventeen was disbanded, the group reformed under the name Alarm Alarm, based on one of the songs written by Peters for The Toilets. BBC Radio 1 John Peel commented that with Duran Duran, Talk Talk and now Alarm Alarm perhaps he should call himself John Peel John Peel, so the name was shortened to The Alarm."

Also..."In "Edward Henry Street" of the album with the same name Peters sings "bought Aladdin Sane from Greaves records" in reference to the song by David Bowie"

I bought Prove It by Television, my 1st 12" single (amongst other things) from there!
FifePsy
FifePsy
540 posts

Feb 09, 2011, 14:53
keith a wrote:

I think it should be judged on its own merits. Personally I can't imagine seeing, say, Thin Lizzy without Lynott, but who are we to say that Brian Downey should be denied the opportunity to play the songs of a band he was such an intregal part of - and that he can't make a living from something he invested in so much? And if you're an uber-fan, you may well enjoy hearing, say, Scott Gorham play those riffs live.

It's a good point and I know plenty people who would still turn out for The Sensational Alex Harvey Band. Difficult to believe that its 29 years this week (4th Feb) since Alex died.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Feb 09, 2011, 16:00
Feb 09, 2011, 15:33
dave clarkson wrote:
There's enough space in the world for every band and associated audience to enjoy themselves.8)

I have no problem with this either. It is an odd (but probably predictable) thing that Rock is so concerned with the personalities.

Fairports without either Richard, Ian M, Ashley H, Swarb or Sandy has been a fact for decades but people seem to be able to take what they do on its merits. And there are units like the Mingus Big Band and the Arkestra (first under Gilmore's leadership and then Allen's) who are completely true to their respective founders' music without there being a hint of them passing themselves off. There have been more than 20 Temptations and I think I am right in saying that only Otis, who formed the band but hardly ever sang lead, has been in it for the duration. Point being in all three cases that the music is more important and more lasting than any single indivdual. That will end up being true of a lot of rock music too when another generation has passed and people still want to hear the music done with passion and a love of the form. Might take another 50 years for a concensus to form on what of the last 60 years of popular music is worth hanging on to.

As for the bands doing the circuit now without key members, if they are doing it to put food on their tables then fair enough - especially as the music business and its customers have unwittingly conspired to eviscerate the commercial value of their back catalogues. If they are crap then the audiences will dwindle. If they are as good as the Arkestra at keeping the flame alive then they will prosper.

As for Yes, I have railed against many of the line up changes since the 70s but I like the Wakeman and Anderson's idea that there could be a totally valid version of the band still performing the music after they are gone. Seems as reasonable to me as say a Royal Shakespeare Company without an Olivier or a Judi Dench.
FifePsy
FifePsy
540 posts

Feb 09, 2011, 15:42
Also recall a recent interview with Robert Plant when he was asked if he would be playing any Zeppelin songs on the Band of Joy tour. He said that if people wanted to hear Zeppelin songs they should go and see a good tribute act as they would perform the songs better than he could!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Feb 09, 2011, 15:55
FifePsy wrote:
Also recall a recent interview with Robert Plant when he was asked if he would be playing any Zeppelin songs on the Band of Joy tour. He said that if people wanted to hear Zeppelin songs they should go and see a good tribute act as they would perform the songs better than he could!

I can believe that. As I say if the music stands up then its how glorious the rendition is not how authentic the line up.
FifePsy
FifePsy
540 posts

Feb 09, 2011, 16:04
IanB wrote:
FifePsy wrote:

I can believe that. As I say if the music stands up then its how glorious the rendition is not how authentic the line up.

And there are tribute bands and tribute bands...this one caught my eye this week:

FOUR MONSTER TALENTS GATHER TO SALUTE VISIONARY MUSICIAN & BAND

Tony Williams Lifetime Tribute featuring legendary bassist of Cream and one-time Lifetime member Jack Bruce, guitarist Vernon Reid (Living Colour), organist John Medeski (Medeski Martin & Wood), and ace drummer Cindy Blackman brings their unique take on Williams' revolutionary music to The Blue Note in New York City (Jan. 27-30), Yoshi's in Oakland (Feb. 2-5) and Jazz Alley in Seattle (Feb. 7 & 8).

Lifetime was founded as a trio in 1969 by Tony Williams who featured electric guitarist John McLaughlin and organist Larry Young . Lifetime's first album, titled Emergency!, was rejected by many jazz fans who came to know Williams' music from his work with the Miles Davis Quintet in the '60s, but many now consider it a fusion classic.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/news.php?id=74871
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Feb 09, 2011, 16:09
'Prove It' was possibly the first 12 inch I bought too - on green vinyl from skeleton records, birkenhead.

8)
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index