1972 posts

Edited Feb 12, 2011, 02:52
Re: Simple Minds In Inverness
Feb 12, 2011, 02:51
IanB wrote:
FifePsy wrote:
IanB wrote:
FifePsy wrote:
Also recall a recent interview with Robert Plant when he was asked if he would be playing any Zeppelin songs on the Band of Joy tour. He said that if people wanted to hear Zeppelin songs they should go and see a good tribute act as they would perform the songs better than he could!

I can believe that. As I say if the music stands up then its how glorious the rendition is not how authentic the line up.

And there are tribute bands and tribute bands...this one caught my eye this week:

FOUR MONSTER TALENTS GATHER TO SALUTE VISIONARY MUSICIAN & BAND

Tony Williams Lifetime Tribute featuring legendary bassist of Cream and one-time Lifetime member Jack Bruce, guitarist Vernon Reid (Living Colour), organist John Medeski (Medeski Martin & Wood), and ace drummer Cindy Blackman brings their unique take on Williams' revolutionary music to The Blue Note in New York City (Jan. 27-30), Yoshi's in Oakland (Feb. 2-5) and Jazz Alley in Seattle (Feb. 7 & 8).

Lifetime was founded as a trio in 1969 by Tony Williams who featured electric guitarist John McLaughlin and organist Larry Young . Lifetime's first album, titled Emergency!, was rejected by many jazz fans who came to know Williams' music from his work with the Miles Davis Quintet in the '60s, but many now consider it a fusion classic.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/news.php?id=74871

That sounds pretty good. I saw a Miles thing at the Albert Hall about 20 years ago with Herbie, Williams, Holland and a trumpeter (can't remember who) and it was ok but not stellar because in Miles' music the sound of the trumpet is as important as the notes being played and he didn't have that ineffable Miles thing. It's a fine line.

I know there are a lot of ensembles attempting material by Mahavishnu, I dare not listen to them as I am terrified of the fine line. As much as I love M.O .. I don't think it can be done again; it shows that there is currently a dearth of where to go next.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Feb 12, 2011, 20:07
Deepinder Cheema wrote:
IanB wrote:
FifePsy wrote:
IanB wrote:
FifePsy wrote:
Also recall a recent interview with Robert Plant when he was asked if he would be playing any Zeppelin songs on the Band of Joy tour. He said that if people wanted to hear Zeppelin songs they should go and see a good tribute act as they would perform the songs better than he could!

I can believe that. As I say if the music stands up then its how glorious the rendition is not how authentic the line up.

And there are tribute bands and tribute bands...this one caught my eye this week:

FOUR MONSTER TALENTS GATHER TO SALUTE VISIONARY MUSICIAN & BAND

Tony Williams Lifetime Tribute featuring legendary bassist of Cream and one-time Lifetime member Jack Bruce, guitarist Vernon Reid (Living Colour), organist John Medeski (Medeski Martin & Wood), and ace drummer Cindy Blackman brings their unique take on Williams' revolutionary music to The Blue Note in New York City (Jan. 27-30), Yoshi's in Oakland (Feb. 2-5) and Jazz Alley in Seattle (Feb. 7 & 8).

Lifetime was founded as a trio in 1969 by Tony Williams who featured electric guitarist John McLaughlin and organist Larry Young . Lifetime's first album, titled Emergency!, was rejected by many jazz fans who came to know Williams' music from his work with the Miles Davis Quintet in the '60s, but many now consider it a fusion classic.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/news.php?id=74871

That sounds pretty good. I saw a Miles thing at the Albert Hall about 20 years ago with Herbie, Williams, Holland and a trumpeter (can't remember who) and it was ok but not stellar because in Miles' music the sound of the trumpet is as important as the notes being played and he didn't have that ineffable Miles thing. It's a fine line.

I know there are a lot of ensembles attempting material by Mahavishnu, I dare not listen to them as I am terrified of the fine line. As much as I love M.O .. I don't think it can be done again; it shows that there is currently a dearth of where to go next.

Maybe Mr Kerr from the Minds thought of that same question when he started the Lostboy AKA Jim Kerr project. The set lists of this have consisted of brand new original and co-written material, songs by upcoming writers, choice covers (incl The Silencer's Bulletproof Heart) and some rarely played or obscure early Simple Minds plus one or two songs that didn't make any of the albums. In this way he has pleased the Minds fans and people who want to hear new stuff/direction.
supercat
supercat
4257 posts

Feb 13, 2011, 06:53
Have a good 'un. :D
It'll be a bloody good gig whoever is supporting. xx
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Feb 13, 2011, 12:30
Correct!!!
Nikinakinoo
Nikinakinoo
1281 posts

Feb 14, 2011, 01:21
Vybik Jon wrote:
I still find it distasteful that bands do this.

I know there are bands that have massively changed line-ups over the years (Hawkwind are notable), but a core is retained and old members might return. When a key member dies, I have no idea why the band carries on in his/her absence other than to get money. Carry on recording and touring, but do it as something else.

Other examples of this are The Doors, Thin Lizzy and endless acts fom the 60's and 70's.

Unpleasant.

Me too. Very unpleasant. I just don't get it. Why would want to see a band without the key member? Bizare...
Nikinakinoo
Nikinakinoo
1281 posts

Feb 14, 2011, 01:23
Kid Calamity wrote:
I liked a couple of Simple Minds things from their earlier days. 'Life In A Day' was a big hit among the crowd at a couple of clubs I used to frequent, whilst at college - And 'I Travel' had a fantstic driving groove, too.

Yeah, brilliant songs!!
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Jul 12, 2011, 00:15
This Saturday is the night and new material being played. What a boost!!!!!!!!!

(Inverness has been good this year Glasvegas at Rock Ness with Belladrum also having a decent line up, Loopallu and Wizard Festivals also looking good.)
haffi
haffi
39 posts

Jul 12, 2011, 10:28
I´ve been listening to all the old Simple Minds albums again after nearly 20 years.I Still love the first ones-Real to Reel Cacophony,Empires and Dance & Sons and Fascination.After that they got less interesting,but after re-evaluating them all again there are some killer songs from every album after that,and the latest ones (Black & White+Graffiti Soul) sees them getting up from their knees and trying to stand on their feet again.
On another note:
One group that could do with a new singer is----U2!!!
That BONO reeks so much of Rock-Star-Ness that it's unbelievable.He turns ME off any U2 song I hear,although Achtung Baby was one of my favorites at the time.What an ASSHOLE.God on holiday?He thinks he is.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Jul 12, 2011, 12:18
haffi wrote:
I´ve been listening to all the old Simple Minds albums again after nearly 20 years.I Still love the first ones-Real to Reel Cacophony,Empires and Dance & Sons and Fascination.After that they got less interesting,but after re-evaluating them all again there are some killer songs from every album after that,and the latest ones (Black & White+Graffiti Soul) sees them getting up from their knees and trying to stand on their feet again.

Black & White and Graffiti Soul are a declaration telling their fans that they will be round for a long time. The new stuff sounds good as well.

(As for U2 saw them with Glasvegas in support. Watched Glasvegas then went to the Celtic v Arsenal game then went back to pick the then other half)
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Edited Jul 17, 2011, 04:07
Jul 17, 2011, 04:05
Support bands Go Go Bot and The Side (from the Black Isle) were really very good. Big Country with Mike Peters were also excellent.

Simple Minds are back to their best, so some people say. They are very wrong, IMO it's much better than that. Torrential rain hut Inverness, bad floods on the way up near Nairn, heavy rain during Big Country, then all anything it could chuck down it did tho not quite as bad as the famous Edinburgh Castle gig.

Jim Kerr, Charlie Burchill, Mel Gaynor, Andy Gillespie, Sarah Brown, what a performance, and new bassist Ged Grimes.

Waterfront
Once Upon A Time
All The Things She Said
Santify Yourself
Broken Glass Park (new)
Sons and Fascination
Celebrate
Premonition
Love Song
Up On The Cat Walk
Hypnotised
Promised You A Miracle
Somewhere In Summer Time
Mandela Day
New Gold Dream
Don't You Forget About Me
The American
Alive And Kicking
Ghostdancing/Gloria

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.........................
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index