Feb 08, 2011, 21:43
It's just my opinion.

EDIT: Not worth it.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Re: Simple Minds In Inverness
Feb 08, 2011, 21:49
On FB just spoke to one of my mates who saw Big Country in Dunfermline, their hometown, and he said that Mike Peters did a tremendous job. But I tend to agree with you. It will be intersting to see how they sound tho..........
keith a
9574 posts

Feb 08, 2011, 21:55
Interesting article here.

"The show must go on: when bands replace their dead stars"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/jan/27/bands-replacing-dead-rock-stars

Deals predominantly with Big Country / Mike Peters, but also Thin Lizzy etc.

I find this paragraph telling...

'Peters has his own reasons for stepping into the breach, though. "I've beaten cancer twice," he explains. "Now I tend to say yes to things and worry about the consequences afterwards." A piercing-eyed, passionate man, he is adamant this is not a cash-in. "I loved the band and I loved the guy. It was an opportunity to bring all the people together who'd been parted by a death."'

I'm not a fan of Big Country or The Alarm, but I don't doubt Peter's sincerity. Everyone I know who has met him/knows him speaks highly of him.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Feb 08, 2011, 22:07
I met Mike Peters at High Tea in the park when he supported Gun in Aviemore, my band also played that day and he seemed a pretty genuine guy. Thanks for that article Keith!
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Feb 08, 2011, 22:14
Mik Kaminski and some of his mates.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited Feb 08, 2011, 23:04
Feb 08, 2011, 23:00
Yeah I knew Peters had been ill. Good on him doing what he's doing. Hope he makes some money for himself and his family too.

He's always put stuff back into the music community rather than take take take....

Didn't he organise loads of punk gigs in North Wales years ago....Discharge etc?

8)
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Feb 08, 2011, 23:44
I was talking about this with someone at work t'other day - I think there was some shite Guardian blog on bands who carry on when the lead-singer croaks etc...I did point out that 3/4 of the band are there, which is more valid than Pink Floyd in the 80's-90's with only 1/2 the original members in the band.

I do think that Stuart Adamson was a very distinctive singer and guitarist - 'The Crossing' and 'Steeltown' were pretty fine albums...though the guitars-as-bagpipes thing didn't work for everyone. Still, he's not on this plain anymore, so what can they do? It's not for me - I'd love to hear the first two albums from the original band with maybe an encore of 'Wonderland' and 'The Seer' , but will just stick with the records...Mike Peters is probably a better front person than the bassist, who was apparently the lead vocalist - which doesn't work unless Lemmy, Phil Lynott, or J-C
FifePsy
FifePsy
540 posts

Feb 09, 2011, 00:02
Jasonaparkes wrote:
I was talking about this with someone at work t'other day - I think there was some shite Guardian blog on bands who carry on when the lead-singer croaks etc...I did point out that 3/4 of the band are there, which is more valid than Pink Floyd in the 80's-90's with only 1/2 the original members in the band.

I do think that Stuart Adamson was a very distinctive singer and guitarist - 'The Crossing' and 'Steeltown' were pretty fine albums...though the guitars-as-bagpipes thing didn't work for everyone. Still, he's not on this plain anymore, so what can they do? It's not for me - I'd love to hear the first two albums from the original band with maybe an encore of 'Wonderland' and 'The Seer' , but will just stick with the records...Mike Peters is probably a better front person than the bassist, who was apparently the lead vocalist - which doesn't work unless Lemmy, Phil Lynott, or J-C

I know mates who saw the Big Country show at New Year in Dunfermline who were raving about it but it was New Year and in their hometown. They could probably have farted and got a standing ovation. Peters did a good job by all accounts. I did see the Skids reunion gig at the same venue in Dunfermline last year and Bruce from Big Country and his son Jamie did a great job stepping into Stuarts shoes. It was a really great night and Jobson was leaping around like a teenager. Also very moving with great standing ovations in memory of Stuart and John McGeoch when Jobson did a couple of Armouty Show songs.
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index