IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Nov 01, 2010, 12:41
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 31st October 2010 CE
Nov 01, 2010, 12:40
machineryelf wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I think it is the cover of Maximum Darkness as much as anything that makes me want it - that SG! I've loved Man for many years, but for some reason haven't got much further than Be Good To Yourself and Back Into The Future. I used to have Slow Motion too but lost that.

ta for the advice on Max Darkness, I can stick to my vinyl, it is a corking LP though, recommended, really should investigate the Padget Rooms set, do remember that the studio lps never impressed me back in the day

The cover with the Mad kid with the fish, is it Flow Motion, absolute corker, luckily I have a book of album covers because I remember the lp being [1]50p [2]overpriced suspect I swopped it for a Mythra sinle or something equally plodding

I wish I still had the lp (wish I still had house room for turntable and vinyl for that matter) as the cd transfer is not especially great. Remastered on autopilot by the sound of it.
keith a
9574 posts

Nov 01, 2010, 13:06
CITIZEN CAIN'D - Julian Cope
A patchy affair for sure, but there are some great tracks here. Particularly enjoyed I Can't Hardly Stand It - perhaps the wildest, loosest sounding track in Cope's long illustrious history?

S/T - The Doors
Got an urge to listen to this after reading the Elektra tributes, etc, in last months Mojo. It still sounds great to me, and not just the obvious classic tracks. Not a duff moment IMO.

IMPERIAL WAX SOLVENT - The Fall
I'm a 50 yr od man, whatcha gonna do about it!!

Singles included....

SAFETY IN NUMBERS - The Adverts
AYESHA - Death In Vegas
LIVING BY NUMBERS - - New Musick
1001realapes
1001realapes
2389 posts

Edited Nov 01, 2010, 14:02
Nov 01, 2010, 13:52
Charley Patton - Founder of the Delta Blues

The Orb featuring David Gilmour - Metallic Spheres

Darkthrone - A Blaze In The Northern Sky

The Abyssinians - Satta Massagana

The Abyssinians - Declaration Of Dub

Ravi Shankar & Ali Akbar Khan - More Flowers Of India

V.A. - Mojo Heavy Soul

Alio Die - Incantamento

Enslaved - Vikingligr Veldi

Ulver - Bergtatt – Et eeventyr i 5 capitler

Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come - Journey

Frank Zappa - Waka/Jawaka

Björk - Isobel

Björk - Army Of Me

Björk - Venus As A Boy

Björk - Big Time Sensuality

Björk - Voltiac (2 disc version)

Bob Dylan - Brandeis University 1963

Bob Dylan - Modern Times

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited (2010 mono cd)

Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan (2010 mono cd)

Bob Dylan - The Times They Are A-Changin' (2010 mono cd)

Bob Dylan - Another side of Bob Dylan (2010 mono cd)

Grant Lee Buffalo - Storm Hymnal (disc 2)

Porcupine Tree - The Incident (disc 2)

Ennio Morricone - Sveglaiti E Uccidi

Ennio Morricone - I Crudeli

Miles Davis - Sorcerer

B.B. King - Original Greatest Hits

Brighter Death Now - The Slaughterhouse

Goblin - Zombi/Dawn Of The Dead

Goblin - Roller

Emperor - Emperor

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Nov 01, 2010, 15:49
The Telescopes - Taste : now that were a racket

Elgar - Cello Concerto (1928 recording) : lovely stuff. As sampled by Venetian Snares.

a mix from Tri Angle records. I think this is witch house although I can't hear the house really. Whatever it is it's good and I think I am now ultra-trendy for knowing about it.

British Library cd of the dawn chorus in various woods in Sussex. I will learn those songs!

x
zerkalo
zerkalo
488 posts

Nov 01, 2010, 16:14
T Rex - Zinc Alloy and the Hidden Riders of Tommorrow/Bolan's Zip Gun/Futuristic Dragon/Dandy in the Underworld
Cosmic Jokers - S/T
Pentangle - S/T
Federal Duck - S/T
The Big Eyes Family Players - Do The Musiking
Josephine Foster & The Supposed - All the Leaves are Gone
eyeshakingking
eyeshakingking
379 posts

Nov 01, 2010, 22:47
redfish365 wrote:
You will dig the Alps! Their new one - Le Voyage - is a good place to start as it shouldn't be hard to find a copy and its a gem.

Snoozed my way through Le Voyage. Couldn't get into at all. Absolutely loved III though. Way recommended.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Nov 01, 2010, 23:42
I've been meaning to check out Criminal's Return and Drifters Sympathy for some time, keep forgetting to order it up. Used up me record money for this month buying People of The North and Clipd Beaks releases, as well as a few others....will put em' on me Xmas list maybe.
I found a few free DL sample tracks from his early stuff on his homepage. Check out the ' From The Vaults' section. Seems to be a few different ones each month you can DL and keep.
I read an interview with him online somewhere, he claims to have demo's about 2000 songs or so in the last decade or more. He just dips into the vaults for the odd album here and there. Think i read he'd suffered the blues pretty bad when he was younger and songwriting and recording were his way out of it all, which must have been miserable for him, but provides some stunning music for us. Seems a more constructive and affirming way out of the dark passenger too.

Anyhoo, website is...

http://holysons.com/

Looks like there's a new LP out as well - Survivalist Tales.... Well that crept up on me.

Seem to recall that the early stuff was a little like early Beck...little lighter in style and subject matter. I picked Up 'I Want To Live A Peaceful Life', was OK, think i was lucky and struck paydirt with 'Decline Of The West'. For me, it's deffo the best that i've heard (well so far :)
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Nov 02, 2010, 15:01
What do those mono Dylan CDs sound like? We've got a copy of the box at work but I've been too busy to give it a proper listen as yet.
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Nov 02, 2010, 17:57
Gregory Isaacs- Cool Ruler

Clinic- Bubblegum

V/A- Freedom of Choice (early 90s alt-rock acts covering late 70s new wave tunes- Sonic Youth do Ca Plane Por Moi, Mudhoney Pump It Up, etc)

My Bloody Valentine- Glider EP

Swervedriver- Son of Mustang Ford EP

Mugstar- Lime

Primal Scream- S/T (overlooked and under-rated second album)

The Monkees- S/T (first album), plus 'A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You' / 'The Girl I Knew Somewhere' 7"

O Children- S/T

Death Line OST
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Nov 02, 2010, 18:30
Various stuff, but the coolest find of the week was this '80s Russian album by underground hero Yegor Letov someone linked me to.

Kommunizm - Russian Title (looks like a play on Let It Be to me)

It's full've awesome destroyed feedback-laced Russian anti-folk. From what I can gather, this is a scabrous concept album all about defacing and destroying classic rock and that mild West Coast vibe. The cover is a vandalized version of the Let It Be cover (a good indication of the music therein), and the album is bookended with bad karaoke plunderponics of standards (including the eponymous Macca track, which they add an OTT guitar solo on just for kicks). One of the songs on here has one of the most awesome choruses I've heard in some time. Yegor Letov screams in the most painful bloody growl: "Stooooooooop the Rolling Stones! Stooooooooop The Beatles, Stooop! Stop the Devil's Stones!" Damn.

You can download it here.
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index