Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Nov 01, 2010, 01:24
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 31st October 2010 CE
Nov 01, 2010, 01:21
flashbackcaruso wrote:
The Monkees - The Monkees Present
(The recent discussion about the 'Prefab Four' had me digging out the 2nd LP by the 'Postfab Three'. A typically strange mix of styles, but with Micky emerging as a particularly interesting songwriter).

"Mommy & Daddy" from that album is a hell of a track! There's also an "uncensored" version on the Rhino reissue that's even more caustic. And "Ladies Aid Society" is a tune that takes aim at the older generation in a way that's not particularly respectful. (You can see why they fell off a commercial cliff around this time -- TV show cancelled, Peter Tork quit, and bubblegum groups are not supposed to mention genocide or make fun of pensioners in their songs!)

But IIRC the weirdest Dolenz tune is "Shorty Blackwell" from the other forgotten trio LP "Instant Replay" (1969).
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Nov 01, 2010, 01:28
A few new releases this week, not listened enough to give much comment:

Sun Araw - Off Duty

Pocahaunted - Threshhold / Echolocation 7"

Spoek Mathambo - Mshini Wam

Wooden Wand - Death Seat (Guess he's back to the old name? Last couple albums were credited as just "Wand".)

The Fuck Knights - The Recorded By Gary Burger From The Monks EP

Earworm of the week: I keep replaying that line from Dr. John's version of "Iko Iko" which sounds like "jockamo feela day". (Probably some creole french phrase?) I haven't actually heard that record in a decade! Funny what pops into your head . . .
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Nov 01, 2010, 08:52
oh blimey - it IS going to be another expensive month! just listened to some Arp stuff on MySpace and I liked it so much I've instantly ordered the album!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Nov 01, 2010, 09:37
Nov 01, 2010, 09:32
Squid Tempest wrote:
IanB wrote:
Maximum Darkness - Man
Not an all-the-hits type live album. This one features Deke's "7171-551", a Quicksilver obscurity and a gorgeous Buffy St Marie cover. Plus the semi ubiquitous "Bananas" Though it is a glorious and at times somewhat spooky recording of "Many Are Called, But Few Get Up " that literally steals the show. Even if they did have to re-record a load of Cippolina's guitars it is still a fantastic record. Intimate and spacious at the same time.

I've had that on my "one to buy" list for yonks. Looks like November is going to be another expensive month! I've always liked One From The Heart too...

"Maximum Darkness" is a cracker but don't get conned into buying the bonus tracks version as they are not from the same show and are therefore not essential. In fact like John Martyn "Live at Leeds" the bonuses take something away from the experience. The "Rainbow 72" show is also worth having and features yet another line up! Again no Deke and Clive John steps into the guitar trenches this time. Same band as that which made "Be Good To Yourself".

I know a lot of people swear by "Padget Rooms" and "Truckers" but these two live sets plus the earlier Roundhouse show are almost all the Man a non hardore fan needs. They're all in Grateful Floyd mode except Man don't make me chortle when they try and boogie. Terry Williams is a god and they were always blessed with good bass players who could swing.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Nov 01, 2010, 09:37
Thanks for the advice. I think it is the cover of Maximum Darkness as much as anything that makes me want it - that SG! I've loved Man for many years, but for some reason haven't got much further than Be Good To Yourself and Back Into The Future. I used to have Slow Motion too but lost that.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Nov 01, 2010, 09:40
Squid Tempest wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I think it is the cover of Maximum Darkness as much as anything that makes me want it - that SG! I've loved Man for many years, but for some reason haven't got much further than Be Good To Yourself and Back Into The Future. I used to have Slow Motion too but lost that.

The studio albums are well patchy. "Be Good" is the cream of the crop and though there are good tunes on nearly all of them the live ones are where they really shine. Remember when Man albums would regularly turn up in Virgin for 50p? Especially "Slow Motion" and "RW&L" for some reason. Coltrane & Santana's "Illuminations" was another 50p bargain. And "Love Devotion & Surrender".
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Nov 01, 2010, 09:43
I do remember those albums appearing on the cheap. I think I was working in Our Price when I got Slow Motion for that very reason!
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Nov 01, 2010, 09:55
Bizarrely, 'Ladies Aid Society' was actually begun 3 years earlier (August 1966) for the mooted second album produced entirely by Boyce & Hart, alongside 'Kicking Stones', another curious novelty with enjoyably oddball production.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Nov 01, 2010, 10:37
Squid Tempest wrote:

ta for the advice on Max Darkness, I can stick to my vinyl, it is a corking LP though, recommended, really should investigate the Padget Rooms set, do remember that the studio lps never impressed me back in the day

The cover with the Mad kid with the fish, is it Flow Motion, absolute corker, luckily I have a book of album covers because I remember the lp being [1]50p [2]overpriced suspect I swopped it for a Mythra sinle or something equally plodding
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Nov 01, 2010, 12:02
Monganaut wrote:

Holy Sons - Decline Of The West
This is one of my fav' records of the past year, it's not a new one, but is relatively new to me. Great lofi heartfelt acoustic-ish dabblings from the guy who drums for Grails and Om. Stunning

If you haven't already - check out Drfiter's Sympathy and Criminal's Return, both from last year. I probably prefer decline of the west but these two are both v good also e.g. the almost 10 mins of Immolation thrills is a highlight. I can only imagine the press drooling if a radiohead or blur drummer made records this good! Not checked out any of the earlier releases yet.
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index