Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 10th October 2010 CE

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9574 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 10th October 2010 CE
Oct 10, 2010, 23:52
SATAN’S CIRCUS – Death In Vegas
Satan's Circus is such a fab album. I've always liked it but it's taken a while to realise just how much! I think it’s now one of my fave LP’S of the past 10 years.

TRAVELIN’ SOULS (LIVE! AT THE LEGENDARY 100 CLUB) – The Blow Monkeys
“It’s been a long tour”, says Dr Robert mid-song at one point on this come-back tour recording. It sounds like, too. His voice is clearly on the way out - it would probably have been better to have recorded one of the earlier dates! It works better watching it on the accompanying DVD than just listening to it I feel. I also played their old Forbidden Fruit 12” single which kinda bridged their more left field debut and their later white boy soul pop rather beautifully. With Mickey Finn on bongos to boot! Great single!

BAND OF JOY – Robert Plant
I bought this mainly cos I was curious to hear his take on two Low songs. Some of the album sounds a bit trite but the Low covers are great. Impressed.

ALSO...
KEYS TO THE WORLD – Richard Ashcroft

EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENS WILL HAPPEN TODAY – David Byrne & Brian Eno

LET LOVE IN / NOCTURAMA – Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

BUTTERFLY HOUSE – The Coral

BACKYARD – Dirk Da Davo

GO BO DIDDLEY – Bo Diddley

THE ONLY FUN IN TOWN – Josef K

BLIND BABY HAS ITS MOTHERS EYES – Les Rallizes Denudes

HELIGOLAND – Massive Attack

THE DEVIL YOU & ME – The Notwist

LOVE ETC – Pet Shop Boys

PRELIMINAIRES – Iggy Pop

RADIANT AWAKENING – Ranga

NEW YORK – Lou Reed

FORTH – The Verve

WEST – Lucinda Williams

SEND - Wire

VOL 2 – Wooden Shjips
rojo
rojo
433 posts

Oct 10, 2010, 23:55
drewbhoy wrote:
Lostboy AKA Jim Kerr, what a mammoth tour he has planned and new Lostboy material appearing all over the place. He will continue to use early Simple Minds songs in the 'live set'. Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Drewboy what early Simple Minds tracks is he playing? Just noticed he is playing O2 in oxford and might be tempted
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Oct 11, 2010, 00:20
machineryelf wrote:
I'm an old purist, Master of Puppets & Ride The Lightning for me

Yeah, I was reared on those two, but for some reason AJFA pips 'em for me. Dunno why either. And Kill 'em All too. Great albums one and all.
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Oct 11, 2010, 00:23
redfish365 wrote:
Don't worry about my holding a grudge if I got this and didn't dig it... The cool thing here is that if I don't like it I know my brother will... and I've no problem gifting him music!

Redfish, you're one cool bastard. I hope you enjoy the album.
Toshey
Toshey
39 posts

Edited Oct 11, 2010, 01:54
Oct 11, 2010, 01:49
Robert Fripp - Love cannot bear
Miles Davis - Someday my Prince will come
Kate Bush - Never for Ever
David Bowie - Stage
David Bowie - Pin Ups
Radiohead - OK Computer
Johnny Greenwood - Body Song
Brian Eno - Apollo
Chris Isaak - Forever Blue
Bob Dylan - Bringing it all back Home (exc.)
Fleetwood Mac - Say you will
Zabriskie Point (Disc 2)
Tori Amos - Scarlet's walk
Magma - Live (big thanks to the "live" thread)
Patti Page - All Hits (Disc 1)
Joni Mitchell - Travelogue (Disc 1)
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 11, 2010, 11:29
Oct 11, 2010, 07:47
John Martyn - Small Hours (from One World and Live In Regents Park)
I can listen to these two versions all day and night. A "ballad" performance that in terms of invention and sensitivity is up there with any jazz soloist you care to mention. Not to mention the astonishing natural reverb produced by recording out doors. Now That's What I Call Ambient!

Chris Squire - Fish Out Of Water
Gentle Giant - Free Hand
John Martyn - Grace & Danger
John Martyn - Live At Leeds (unexpanded)
Nick Drake - Pink Moon
Richard and Linda Thompson - Hokey Pokey
Celibidache MPO - Brahms German Requiem
Manuel Göttsching - E2 to E4
Can - Future Days
Bjork- Medulla
Peter Gabriel - s/t #3
Von K & BPO - Götterdämmerung
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Oct 11, 2010, 10:51
mingtp wrote:
redfish365 wrote:
Don't worry about my holding a grudge if I got this and didn't dig it... The cool thing here is that if I don't like it I know my brother will... and I've no problem gifting him music!

Redfish, you're one cool bastard. I hope you enjoy the album.

You're kind to say so and you too are as cool as the other side of the pillow!
From what I heard at various places I'll dig it enough to add it to the collection. I will of course report my findings once they're formulated. Thanks again for the "head's up" on them!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Oct 11, 2010, 11:09
David Sylvian & Holger Czukay - Plight & Premonition, Flux & Mutability
These are both crackers. I've loved them for years, but hadn't heard them for ages prior to last week. Now I can't get enough.

David Sylvian - Alchemy/An Index of Possibilities
Another great (and pretty unsung) album.

Blue Oyster Cult -S/T
Klaus Schulze - Cyborg
High Wolf - Shangri L.A.
Oneohtrix Point Never - Returnal & Rifts
Mark Mcguire - Tidings/Amethyst Waves
Popul Vuh - In the Gardens of Pharao/Aguirre
Titan - A Raining Sun Of Light & Love For You & You & You
Fripp & Eno - No Pussyfooting, Evening Star
Serpentina Satelite - Mecanica Celeste
Bob Marley - Natty Dread
Hawkwind - S/T
C.C.C.C - Early Years box
Tangerine Dream - Atem
Status Quo - Dog of Two Head

Ming - I'm touched that you're still enjoying Ex Proxima. I've started recording the next CD now if you're interested. It has been harder than I thought finding the right impetus, but I'm getting there now.
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Edited Oct 11, 2010, 11:21
Oct 11, 2010, 11:20
Squid Tempest wrote:
Ming - I'm touched that you're still enjoying Ex Proxima. I've started recording the next CD now if you're interested. It has been harder than I thought finding the right impetus, but I'm getting there now.

Ooh, I shall look forward to that, nice.

EDIT: nice list btw Squid!
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Oct 11, 2010, 11:57
The Just Joans - Your Pain Is A Joke Next To Mines
Not a set of McLusky covers. Unfortunately. Just another fantastic WeePop ep from Motherwell's finest. Lanarkshire's answer to the Magnetic Fields. If the line in Wee Helen Got Married about another piece of your childhood being dead doesn't hit you in the heart, you aint got one.

Michael Gira - I Am Singing To You From My Room
Trying to get my head round Gira & Swans in time for the gig in a fortnight. It's not really happening. Really like Angels of Light. But every time I listen to Swans I jsut get reminded why i never really paid any attention at the time. So, thought I'd try some solo Gira. Erm, it's the bloke from Swans with an acoustic guitar. I feel like an iterloper here. Kinda like the Mark Eitzel gig I went to where the wankier he was the more folk seemed to applaud him as a genius (hmmmm...who does that sound like...).

They better be bloody loud.

Momus - Hypnoprism
I kinda buy Momus records they way I buy The Fall's; becasue I HAVE to. You can never really tell what are the one's that will be any good, or - better - work their way into your head and stay with you.

This could be some of the best songs he's writ in a while. but, they're so underdone in a sort of bontempi music hall stylee (not as good as it sounds - the underdone bit is the relevent term here) that they almost don't exist. It's ephemeral, not ethereal. Someone got some autotune software for christmas and wants to show ir off, too. Of course, several listens in it's beginning to take root. But, will it get the others it needs to fully do so...

Goddamn you, sir.

Gordon Gano & The Ryans - Under The Sun
Had this since New Year. I'd given it a few spins and flagged it up as interesting but not essential. It was a chance happening upon the title track on random play that made me go back and check it all out. It just clicked this time.

No, it's not a Violent Femmes album (c'mon guys; kiss and make up - the world needs you). But, very little is. The mor/college rock (that's not a contadiction, is it) feel always put me off a bit. But, on revisiting, there's some pretty damn fine stuff (particularly that title track) on here. In fact, nothing duff. Here As A Guest strikes me as as close to a Lenny Cohen song Gano will ever get.

Certainly well worth a look if you are interested in anything he's done beyond Blister In The Sun.

The Phantom Band - The Wants
Maybe a little less intense than Checkmate Savage. A little. Loving this. Very pleased they've managed the difficult second album with such seeming ease. Everybody Knows It's True manages to be irritating and can't-get-enough at the same time. Like a good Frog Chorus. It's also got plenty moments that'll vindicate me to all those that looked at me as if I was an idot for calling them 'folky'.

Munly & The Lupercalians - Petr & The Wulf
"The real story of..." apparently. Everyone's favourite cadaver-faced Denverite with possibly his most accessible 'solo' album yet. Still his stuff seems very samey to me. He's one of them that I'm sure someone could put together a ten track compilation and it would be all you ever need. Until someone does, these eight are certainly a lot more toe-tappy than some of his previous stuff and damn fine. Just, not really anything new. IMO. Who knows where I'll be after a few more listens.
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index