Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 10th October 2010 CE
Oct 10, 2010, 20:30
redfish365 wrote:
What is Crystal Fighters all about? Never head of em. Should I investigate?

They're new and hip but for once live up to the hype. Think a cross between Indie, Psych and Dubstep but way cooler and catchier than that sounds. It's an incredible album.

Check 'em here.

Not sure if they'll be your cup of tea but I love them. Alot.
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Oct 10, 2010, 20:52
mingtp wrote:
redfish365 wrote:
What is Crystal Fighters all about? Never head of em. Should I investigate?

They're new and hip but for once live up to the hype. Think a cross between Indie, Psych and Dubstep but way cooler and catchier than that sounds. It's an incredible album.

Check 'em here.

Not sure if they'll be your cup of tea but I love them. Alot.

That's not the sort of thing I generally listen to but the samples on their MySpace page are interesting and combined with your strong opinion I'm going to see if I can find a copy at a nice price. My twin brother listens to stuff like that also so maybe hidden deep in the recesses of my noodle I have the dubstep love... worth a try.
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Oct 10, 2010, 20:57
Hmm, if you think it may not be your thang, check out the album samples on the amazon.co.uk site here.

I really wouldn't want to sell you a wrong 'un, but we do have similar tastes and I rate it. Maybe try a sly d/load before you buy (shh...)?
machineryelf
3681 posts

Oct 10, 2010, 20:57
mingtp wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
Metallica – S/t dug this to see if still cared and found much to my surprise that I enjoyed it muchly, going to try St Anger this week, I doubt that will be as much fun
Ref compression wars - listen to this and Death Magnetic to see that listening habits have changed in the last 20 years.

Dude, avoid St. Anger like the plague unless you've already got it - the single most poorly produced album in my entire collection. When I first heard it I thought my CD was faulty. Did you know it's the most returned album in history?

RE: Compression Wars - Death Magnetic is immense but you can clearly hear the distortion where Lars or whoever has said "make it even louder... great, but can it go any louder?... just a smidge louder...". My mate Dave told me there's apparently an online petition of 20,000+ signatories asking Metallica to remaster it. Great, great album though.

Already have St Anger, can't recall the production being bad, but the songs are pretty piss poor IIRC I have a promo copy I picked up for 99p so I can't really complain

Death Magnetic is unlistenable, the Iggy remix of Raw Power is MOR compared to DM, it justs batters you senseless after a couple of tunes, its like chewing silver paper. I know it's not very metal but I'd sign a petition to turn it down.
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Oct 10, 2010, 21:01
machineryelf wrote:
Already have St Anger, can't recall the production being bad, but the songs are pretty piss poor IIRC

Haha, yes that too :)

The production on St. Anger: the drums sound like cardboard boxes and totally ruins it for me. And I tried with that album, believe me, I tried.

Still love DM though, my 2nd favourite Metallica album after And Justice For All. Sacreligious? Possibly.
a23
a23
1004 posts

Oct 10, 2010, 21:16
Swans - Soundtracks for the blind / various failures / father rope sky
Belle & Sebastian - If You're feeling Sinister
The Clientele - Bonfires on the Heath - (perfect autumn tunes)
Paul Simpson - Man IN A Burning Anorak/Wickedest Man in the world
Les Rallizes - Volcanic Performances
Heaven 17 - best of (actually it's terrible, mostly remixed versions that suck)
The Rain Parade - Emergency third rail
German Oak - German Oak
Psychic TV - Origin of Species Vol 2
Virgina Astley - from gardens where we feel secure
Ravishing Beauties - Peel session 1982
Tommy Hall Schedule - S/T
Various - IN search of Hawkwind
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Edited Oct 10, 2010, 22:32
Oct 10, 2010, 22:21
Junk Culture - OMD

Fish Heads and Fish Tails - Goodbye Mr McKenzie

Our Secrets Are The Same - Simple Minds

Cannonball - Supertramp

Neon Bible - Arcade Fire

Tourfilm - REM

Swimmer - The Big Dish

Atlantic Crossing - Rod Stewart

If I Should Fall........- The Pogues

The Man Who - Travis

plus loads of Richard Thompson and Lostboy AKA Jim Kerr, what a mammoth tour he has planned and new Lostboy material appearing all over the place. He will continue to use early Simple Minds songs in the 'live set'. Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
machineryelf
3681 posts

Oct 10, 2010, 22:41
mingtp wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
Already have St Anger, can't recall the production being bad, but the songs are pretty piss poor IIRC

Haha, yes that too :)

The production on St. Anger: the drums sound like cardboard boxes and totally ruins it for me. And I tried with that album, believe me, I tried.

Still love DM though, my 2nd favourite Metallica album after And Justice For All. Sacreligious? Possibly.

I'm an old purist, Master of Puppets & Ride The Lightning for me, do have a lot of time for about 75% of Load , I'll let you know how I get on with St Anger, I'm going to dig out the ''industrial remix'' singles from the mid 90s if I can find them, see how they've stood the test of time
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Oct 10, 2010, 22:50
mingtp wrote:
Hmm, if you think it may not be your thang, check out the album samples on the amazon.co.uk site here.

I really wouldn't want to sell you a wrong 'un, but we do have similar tastes and I rate it. Maybe try a sly d/load before you buy (shh...)?

Don't worry about my holding a grudge if I got this and didn't dig it. I've been buying music since the late 70s often with far less info than I have here. I can't count how many albums on vinyl I purchased back in the day based on a hunch, cover art, a cool band name or song titles. Some went on to become favorites (Carnivoroe, Demon, Eloy...) and some not so much (Snail, Jag Panzer, Fates Warning). Still taking chances and while the internet has helped me make educated choices I still pick a bummer now and then. The cool thing here is that if I don't like it I know my brother will... and I've no problem gifting him music!
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Oct 10, 2010, 22:52
COIL - Musick To Play In the Dark (Vols 1 & 2)
Haven't played these in a long while and they are sounding better than ever

COLLEEN - The Golden Morning Breaks
A perfect album for the Autumn

SWANS - Various Failures
What a great voice Mr. Gira has, really looking forward to hearing the new album too

STEREOLAB - Dots & Loops
I've had this for a while and thought I'd give it another go, I prefer the 'Emporer Tomato Ketchup' phase, but this is growing on me

KEITH TIPPETT GROUP - Dedicated To You...
Great British Jazz! woohoo!

V/A - The Sound Gallery Volumes 1 & 2
Aural pleasures in every way >;-D

That's all folks!
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index