Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Re: Revolutions are celebrated when they are no longer dangerous
Sep 22, 2010, 16:25
Kid Calamity wrote:
IanB wrote:
I just don't want to be told that music is revolutionary when it isn't.

I just don't 'get' The Libertines*. I refuse the believe they are really breaking the mould and have a new approach. I think it's a poor copy of an old approach, personally.

Poor pub-rock IMHO. Definitely as un-revolutionary as it is possible to be, short of joining The Stereophonics.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 22, 2010, 17:21
Sep 22, 2010, 17:17
thesweetcheat wrote:
IanB wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Large amounts of pioneering electronic/futurist music has still never been used to sell cars or perfume, to my knowledge. I'm thinking Russoli, Marinetti, Schaeffer, Xenakis, Varese, even Stockhausen. All of these were revolutionary, every bit as much as Stravinsky was.

I'm not sure the Residents' music will ever be fully embraced by the mainstream.

That's pretty much what I was thinking i.e. that maybe pop / rock music has no cultural teeth any more and ironically it is the largely cosseted (these days) world of Art Music is where all the true revolutionary outsider music resides. I might be wrong which is why I asked the question. Would be an interesting list, though not one Mojo would be publishing!

The saddest thing about my first para is that all this was taking place well over half a century ago! Even the Residents prime period was over 30 years ago.

Maybe my difficulty is that I don't really like much of the "dangerous" or "revolutionary" music of the last decade, e.g. grime, dubstep, etc. I buy plenty of new music, but I wouldn't say it could be classed as in any way revolutionary. The Wire CDs always impress me (the magazine, rather than the equally excellent group), perhaps they still showcase the periphery?

I gave up on The Wire a long time ago more or less around the time when they gave up on a lot of the music that interests me. I should maybe dip back in.

Talking of dubstep I bought the two Burial albums and loved them for their intensity for a short while but ultimately there was the same element of commercial compromise that Goldie brought into Inner City Life with the female vocals. I don't mind people selling a lot of records (good on ya if you can make money out of any music these days) I just don't want to be told that music is revolutionary when it isn't.

The only music magazine I buy now is Gramophone. I am old.
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Sep 22, 2010, 17:19
Ah, yes! There was a concert broadcast on BBC radio, around Christmas, using his score, I believe. I was driving late one night while listening to it. The name rings a bell, as does that explanation which preceded the performance. Very atmospheric.
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Sep 22, 2010, 17:22
IanB wrote:

I just don't 'get' The Libertines*. I refuse the believe they are really breaking the mould and have a new approach. I think it's a poor copy of an old approach, personally.

*Good band name, though. But even that isn't quite original.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Edited Sep 22, 2010, 17:33
Sep 22, 2010, 17:32
Here in the states, Steve Earle{MY idea of a 'REAL' Black-Sheep} has burnt ALL his bridges.I love him for it.
The Revolution Starts NOW!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Sep 22, 2010, 17:41
Kid Calamity wrote:
IanB wrote:

*Good band name, though. But even that isn't quite original.

.... about as revolutionary as Transvision Vamp
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Sep 22, 2010, 17:56
Indeed. I think the words revolutionary and revisionary are being confused.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Sep 22, 2010, 18:30
Sep 22, 2010, 18:29
IanB wrote:

That's pretty much what I was thinking i.e. that maybe pop / rock music has no cultural teeth any more . . .

I've been saying this for awhile.

"Rock" and "pop" is not even slightly dangerous, rebellious or revolutionary these days and hasn't been for at least 15-20 years or so. (Nirvana's "Nevermind" was the final nail in the coffin, not a rebirth.) They (Jann Wenner and the commisars at Rolling Stone magazine) even built a museum for it -- 'nuff said.

"Jazz" went into the museum back in the 1970's and has not evolved since.

Sadly, even "Rap" seems to have burned itself out at a relatively young age. Born 1979, killed by the same forces that ruined rock/pop in the mid-1990's (I blame Snoop Dogg's solo debut.)

But I am not a pessimist.

I think there is some new post-modern melange of styles that is developing in the self-released and often lo-fi end of the swamp. I feel new music of late 2008-present is at least as good as anything since the 1980's (an underappreciated golden age.) But the new movement has NO NAME YET, and that is a good thing -- enjoy it while it lasts.

Corrolary of your subject line: when revolutions are actually happening, no one knows what the hell is going on. Once a label catches on in the popular consciousness, that is a sure sign that the revolution is over. If it can be contained in a label (or museum), it's no longer living.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Edited Sep 22, 2010, 18:47
Sep 22, 2010, 18:44
Well I'm with singingringingtree on this. I definitely think Power Electronics/Noise or whatever it's called now is the real revolution as far as music goes. Today's avant-garde just doesn't have the same kick as it did maybe 50 yrs ago, maybe because of the advent of technology (use of computers, etc...) I don't think rock music (with few exceptions) is going to recover from two-decades-and-counting of mediocrity. Today's dance music is empty hipster-bait, where the packaging is more important than the music itself. I think Ian is right about free jazz, although what bothers me is there's no black people playing jazz anymore, which is ironic as they essentially created the music itself...

Power Electronics -- I think that genre still exists (that is, from the "Industrial" scene it came from that no longer really exists) mostly because it had a real message instead of being oblique and elliptical. It had things to say that most people don't want to hear, not that it matters that all of what those people say is the truth (of course). But it is an outlet for the frustrated misfits out there jaded with packaged culture being served to them like a McDonalds hamburger. And it brought all the 20th century classical musical theory to such people who otherwise would not have cared...
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 22, 2010, 19:11
Sep 22, 2010, 19:09
Lawrence wrote:
Power Electronics -- I think that genre still exists (that is, from the "Industrial" scene it came from that no longer really exists) mostly because it had a real message instead of being oblique and elliptical. It had things to say that most people don't want to hear, not that it matters that all of what those people say is the truth (of course). But it is an outlet for the frustrated misfits out there jaded with packaged culture being served to them like a McDonalds hamburger. And it brought all the 20th century classical musical theory to such people who otherwise would not have cared...

I am deeply ignorant of all this - apart from the early / mid 90s Ministry, Pigface, Nitzer Ebb, Front 242, Young Gods, Cubanate, v early NIN end of the industrial street and the mid 80s Test Dept / SPK range of things. Though that may not be what you mean.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index