54 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
machineryelf
3681 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 19 September 2010 CE
Sep 20, 2010, 16:19
IanB wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
Fotheringay - for some reason I always thought the Fotheringay album was somehow flawed but it's a perfect little gem, albeit the CD has the 'bonus' of an English folk band attempting to RnR badly on Memphis Tennessee.

Love this album. It's her most June Tabor-esque record I think in that it is still a Folk Rock record but with the accent on the piano and primarly acoustic guitars rather than the raw edged electrics and fiddle of the Fairports. On the other side it is also not an MOR album like some of the solo records. Add "Late November" from the El Pea sampler to "Fotheringay" and lose "Ned Kelly" and you've nigh on the perfect Rock-Folk album. I love how muscular and driving the piano is.

Talking of "Late November", two years on and I still haven't got used to there being a second album although I knew some of the recordings from other places. Given the line up and the people playing on it I think of it more as "Rising For The Moon Part Minus One".

One of the highlights was the Gordon Lightfoot cover by Trevor Lucas, I've heard the Banks of The Nile and a couple of other tunes on a Sandy Denny comp , but Trevor Lucas stuff is new to me. As you mentioned about Sloth this week it sounds ahead of its time .Think I shall have to rethink my opinion on post Thompson Fairport. Bloody hell I'm having enough problems with new music without digging up old stuff as well
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index