Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 28 August 2010 CE

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 28 August 2010 CE
Aug 31, 2010, 19:38
I think most American indie rockers prefered the usual street drugs: pot, coke, heroin. And when they get a little money, that doesn't really change their habits. Kim Deal: former pothead, boozer, chainsmoker (now clean & chubby.) Kelly deal: made it all the way up the ladder to heroin & rehab. Steve Malkmus: big pothead til he started a family (I heard Spiral Stairs prefers the coke.) Replacements: famous boozehounds, but cocaine was their real favorite. Husker Du: could have taken a page from that Japanese group and called themselves "Speed Weed & Norton"! etc.

Prescription drugs are more for the "Hollywood" set: Michael Jackson, Courtney Love. (And perhaps country stars too, in the old tradition of pillhead Johnny Cash.)

And I don't see anything "shoe-gazery" about Breeders or Pixies. Have you heard "Last Splash"? That's pop-rock with surf beats! And better than any Nirvana album.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 31, 2010, 19:55
Aug 31, 2010, 19:55
Interesting.

This is a real blind spot for me and yes, I do see the shoegazers and the US 4AD mob as being kindred spirits though on the face of it they don't have much in common do they? I love sloppy rock n roll but anything that smacks of slackerdom just makes me irrationally angry! Will check out the record you mention though before my mind closes completely!
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Aug 31, 2010, 20:46
While you're at it Ian, Pod by the Breeders should divorce the 2 scenes in your mind quite nicely. It's a stone cold classic, and their cover of Happiness is a Warm Gun is worth the entry price alone.
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

Aug 31, 2010, 22:12
mingtp wrote:
While you're at it Ian, Pod by the Breeders should divorce the 2 scenes in your mind quite nicely. It's a stone cold classic, and their cover of Happiness is a Warm Gun is worth the entry price alone.

^^ This ^^
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Aug 31, 2010, 22:52
Aug 31, 2010, 22:51
Most folks will tell you "Pod" is the better album, but I disagree. "Last Splash" hasn't got a weak track on it (even the 2 minute instrumentals are good.) And I prefer the more layered production on the second vs. the dry bones "recorded by Steve Albini" approach on the first. I'd say it is still my favorite "indie crossover" album from the early 90's (even better than the best Pixies albums, which were their first and last.)

They certainly had the dope-y slacker image down though --

The hits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RiJMZQXa2o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_l4ZOVJ-ts

Live last year (the one that looks like Kim Deal is actually Kelly, and Kim is the one who looks like "Roseanne"!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWtKGseIz2k

I was at that show -- third time I've seen Kim Deal, and the best one yet (Pixies in 1992 were too tight-assed and they didn't let her do much anyway, and her band The Amps in 1996 was a drunken disaster.) Maybe there is something to be said for sobriety and age and all that! ;-)
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Sep 01, 2010, 00:02
Dog 3000 wrote:
Most folks will tell you "Pod" is the better album, but I disagree. "Last Splash" hasn't got a weak track on it

I'm afraid that I'm one of those 'most folks', Dog. To me, Last Splash is about Cannonball but Pod is about the whole album. Having said that, it's been a long time.

Tell you what, I'll dig them both out and give 'em a spin tomorrow as a refresher.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Sep 01, 2010, 00:39
They're both great, I guess I'm in the "minority of the majority" that actually prefers their more popular record. I always seem to be reading somebody buzzing on about the greatness of "Pod". Perhaps that is the more "vibey" record (versus "merely" "catchy.")

It really all boils down to Kim's great tunes (both those Breeders albums are only about 30 minutes long -- all killer, no filler.)
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Sep 01, 2010, 09:26
They're both cued up on the death deck, along with Title TK which I remember being a blinder too.

Life's a beatch, eh?
keith a
9574 posts

Sep 01, 2010, 11:30
Yeah, I just got the remixes, too. Sounded pretty good after a couple of listens.
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index