IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jul 21, 2010, 15:38
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 18 July 2010 CE
Jul 21, 2010, 15:35
zphage wrote:
Sin Agog wrote:
I never really gave Dancehall much of a chance, mostly because whining about how Reggae died with the '80s along with everything else just sounded so neat and easy. The kind of opinion music mags drum into you. But you know, some of the best stuff ever made came out in that decade, so I don't see why it should be too different with reggae. I think when I first heard Dancehall I wrote it off as the New Romantic of Reggae. Totally wrong. Here's a link to a show on Digital Dancehall by Rinse.FM that's almost singlehandedly brought the genre back from the dead for me. So much excellent music.

http://www.theheatwave.co.uk/music/item/25yearsofdancehall/

roots was dead by '82; went thru the same turmoil soul music did, coming out denatured as only R&B, same with reggae.

I listened to this with interest, but really miss the heavy bass and soulful vocals replaced by cheesy plinky synths and sing speak vocals

Largely driven by a change up in drug use among the artists presumably.

I've got 'Til Shiloh some Garnet Silk and a few other bits and bobs -mainly Wackies productions - but my reggae collection tails off mightily after 85ish. Would like some pointers to more modern gems but that digital sound mainly leaves me cold. That said there were a couple of really nice Kiddus I releases a few years back "Ina Da Yard" and a compilation. Though that comp was exhumed 70s stuff. Johnny Osbourne was the last "new" artist to really crank my handle. Which is a short lifetime ago. Unless you count the On-U stuff.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Jul 21, 2010, 16:59
Jul 21, 2010, 15:41
keith a wrote:

There's not enough cowboys talking to horses on the telly about the futility of violence if you ask me.

I agree! What do we pay the license fee for?
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Jul 21, 2010, 21:56
If you like that you might try Max Richter, been my company whilst studying recently. Along with squid's proxima stuff
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Jul 21, 2010, 22:02
Linkin Park
Eminem - Relapse/Recovery
Offspring - Welcome to Americana
Crass - Stations
Max Richter - The Blue Note
Ludovico Einaudi - various streamed
Wim Martens - various streamed
System Of a Down - Toxicity
Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet
Black Tempest both Proximas
Zounds (only Subvert tho)
Malcolm Middleton
Angus and Julia Stone
Thao
Caribou
DJ Shadow
Julian Cope

Some progressive/tech house stuff whose names escape me right now

... and lots and lots of Radio 4 & 7
stray
stray
2057 posts

Jul 22, 2010, 08:58
You want 'Hydrogen Jukebox', 'Einstein on the Beach' and 'Music in twelve parts'. After that.. um.. nah really. It all gets same-y. A much better investment of your ears can be found with Steve Reich (apart from the rather wet 'City Life'), Gavin Bryars, and Arvo Part.

Really though I reckon that it's much more rewarding to follow the solo classical musicians and ensembles than it is composers these days. Vanessa Rossetto, Amy X Neuberg (who collaborates with some amazing groups), Lev Zhurbin, Balanescu Quartet, Bartois, Aki Takahashi etc.

But wtf, ignore me, cos tbh I've given up contemporary classical in favour of the blurred territory between it, free jazz and experimental electronic stuff. Its like late 60s modernism is making a comeback.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Jul 22, 2010, 09:05
Moon Cat wrote:
Can't remember what the first track is called but was struck by its likeness to a kind of orchestral, minimal techno.

Music is as music does. Structures are structures.
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Jul 23, 2010, 06:56
Thanks to everyone for their 2 cents worth - based on such positive comments I've ordered and await delivery.

Funnily, my local cd merchant (Lou at MusicMasters nearby) has had a copy of the These Trails cd for ages... my fingerprints are all over it as I've had it in my pile several times only to unload it back to the shelf when my total neared bank-busting levels. Now I may have to grab it also. We'll see...
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Jul 23, 2010, 08:13
Glass often gets beaten with the stick that should really be aimed at Nyman. Glass has a lot more going on musicially and has developed in far more directions than most of his minimalist / systems music peers. Well worth having a further dig down.

It's a bit expensive to buy but if you can get "Music In Twleve Parts" from the library that is his large scale 70s masterpiece. More than three hours long. Never dull. The 1996 Nonesuch edition is the one to find.

"Glassworks" is nice too. It's his most rock album. Saw his ensemble play music from this at Sadlers Wells in the early 80s and was totally blown away.

There is also another really nice comp from the late 90s called "Glass Jukebox" which is also on Nonesuch and totally different from "Essential" which is drawn from his Sony records. You can probably pick that up for a song these days.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jul 23, 2010, 10:34
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-Twelve-Parts-Philip-Ensemble/dp/B001BXSJRQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1279877107&sr=1-2

Music in 12 Parts for less than £15 on amazon market place, think my copy is from the nonesuch version, but it's a great listen if you have any interest in drone/minimilism you should check this out, the only problem is you need 3 uninterrupted hrs to do it full justice

Einstein On the Beach is going for a more sensible price on Amazon Marketplace too

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Glass-Einstein-Beach-Philip/dp/B000086EPD/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1279877595&sr=1-2

always found that harder going, maybe because the mp3 copy I have is obviously an 80s version and stinks of tinkly synths
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Jul 23, 2010, 12:28
Jul 23, 2010, 12:22
machineryelf wrote:
the only problem is you need 3 uninterrupted hrs to do it full justice

You know, I'm not too sure about this really. I mean, originally 'Music in 12 parts' was just a small section of what it is now (cant for the life of me remember which 'part' was originally THE 'music in 12 parts, could work it out though if I could be arsed to reach to my left and put it on but my headspace is elsewhere right now). The other eleven parts came about much later when someone asked him where they were, IIRC. Is this apocryphal ? If not then really you could happily listen to said part alone as it was composed to be heard as such.

Mind you, I have no problem listening to any part in isolation as, to my ears, there isn't that much in terms of progression/structure or overall form that makes all twelve parts a resolving composition. Tis good though, and I have the Nonesuch recording with the Philip Glass Ensemble.

Edit : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_in_Twelve_Parts I'm right about its history
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index