The Coral - they have a new album!

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Re: The Coral - they have a new album!
Aug 06, 2010, 14:01
Yeah, Noel's very very poor attempt at the classic scouse sound a la The Coral, Shack, La's etc - well it is a dead ringer for Clean Prophet after all. Then again, Lyla was a complete rip of Confrontation Camp by The Soundtrack Of Our Lives, that wonderful Swedish band whose output Noel seems to have based the majority of the post-ninetees Oasis sound on. Try playing Shock Of The Lightning at the same time as SOOL's Infra-Riot. Its quite uncanny - same key, tempo, chords etc!
Kilgore Trout
95 posts

Aug 06, 2010, 14:53
http://www.myspace.com/billryderjones

Don't know whether this supports those rumours or not. Some lovely music, mind.
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Aug 06, 2010, 15:03
Apparently he's preparing an album for Domino records as we speak. It's funny really, I just kinda get a Barrett/Green/Skip Spence vibe from the way the band talk about him in interviews (or rather what they 'don't say') - its all a bit guarded really. Read an interview with him recently where he came accross as eloquent and artistic but fairly shy, insular and a little nervous about his creativity or rather the thought of it being publicly exposed. Also, when the phrase 'nervous exhaustion' is used to describe someone's departure from a band, its usually a polite euphemism.
Kilgore Trout
95 posts

Aug 06, 2010, 15:21
Andfurthermoreagain wrote:
Apparently he's preparing an album for Domino records as we speak. It's funny really, I just kinda get a Barrett/Green/Skip Spence vibe from the way the band talk about him in interviews (or rather what they 'don't say') - its all a bit guarded really. Read an interview with him recently where he came accross as eloquent and artistic but fairly shy, insular and a little nervous about his creativity or rather the thought of it being publicly exposed. Also, when the phrase 'nervous exhaustion' is used to describe someone's departure from a band, its usually a polite euphemism.

Although i think their recorded output has been a bit mixed (though occassionally brilliant), i do feel sort of protective of The Coral - Bill lives about 5 minutes drive away from me plus the school they met at is about 3 minutes walk away, so they feel a bit like THE 'local' band. Nice to know someone so close to home is making some pretty great music.

It's funny really, he does come across as introverted in interviews these days, but a friend of a friend was in his class at school and said he was more than a bit, erm, 'boisterous'!

We like to imagine such guys have gone one trip too far a la Barrett/Spence etc and are now floating out in orbit, but the myth's often rather more glamourous than the reality. Anyway, i hope he's doing alright.
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Aug 06, 2010, 15:29
Too true, sadly the whole rock n roll mythology tends to overexaggerate the plight of such geniuses (and I would certainly class Bill as a genius - so prodigiously talented for one so young), when in fact the naked truth is often simply that their highly creative and artistic minds are simply incapable of dealing with the stress of fame and the negativity the 'industry' often harbours for young musicians.
As far as I'm concerned The Coral are certainly one of the greatest bands of the last decade and its either a shame (or a blessed relief) that they havn't reeived much of the acclaim they deserve. Still, while people were focussing on T'Arctic Monkeys the Coral were churning out albums of delicately beautiful folk rock (even if the consistency waned on Invasion & Roots). Local heroes and a national treasure. Ture heir's to Michael Head & Lee Maver's legacy!
konaman
konaman
533 posts

Aug 06, 2010, 21:55
First time I've heard them, & it's chust sublime.
1001realapes
1001realapes
2390 posts

Edited Jan 30, 2012, 15:42
Re: The Coral - The Butterfly House deluxe
Jan 30, 2012, 15:41
Ten quid from The Hut ! ! !

http://www.thehut.com/cd/the-coral/butterfly-house-super-deluxe-box-set/10578561.html?awc=2547_1327938040_0aa318db070d7ee23d6888b3b8f9e97b&affil=awin
Carlos
Carlos
3885 posts

Jan 30, 2012, 22:29
I wonder if they ship to Portugal! The p&p must be painful I supose!!!
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Jan 30, 2012, 22:31
I've read The Coral's electric meter.

The rehearsal room in Hoylake stank of skunk.
FifePsy
FifePsy
540 posts

Jan 30, 2012, 23:09
Been listening to Bill Ryder Jones album this week and increasingly taken with it. An imaginary soundtrack to Italo Calvino's If on a Winter's Night a Traveller. Orchestral, lush and not very much resemblence to The Coral! I loved Butterfly House.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index