Topic View: Flat | Threaded
1001realapes
1001realapes
2390 posts

Edited Jan 31, 2012, 01:07
Re: The Coral - The Butterfly House deluxe
Jan 31, 2012, 00:58
Carlos wrote:
I wonder if they ship to Portugal! The p&p must be painful I supose!!!

Shipping to the States was £1.00
flatboxertwin
flatboxertwin
369 posts

Re: The Coral - they have a new album!
Jan 31, 2012, 13:00
Andfurthermoreagain wrote:

They seem to be one of those Marmite bands but I couldn't help but be blown away when they're debut album came out - it was everything you could hope for from a Scouse band - Beefheart, Love, Scott Walker, The Elevators, Syd Barrett, Bunnymen, Teardrops, Morricone and NO BEATLISMS!

And don't forget the Lee Perry/Augustus Pablo-flavoured hidden space dub tune at the end of the CD.
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Jan 31, 2012, 14:32
flatboxertwin wrote:

They seem to be one of those Marmite bands but I couldn't help but be blown away when they're debut album came out - it was everything you could hope for from a Scouse band - Beefheart, Love, Scott Walker, The Elevators, Syd Barrett, Bunnymen, Teardrops, Morricone and NO BEATLISMS!

And don't forget the Lee Perry/Augustus Pablo-flavoured hidden space dub tune at the end of the CD.

Oh ya, that'd be Time Travel - love it! I also love the way that Skeleton Key changes from a dead-on Beefhearter into an unexpected and unusual disco-funk coda for no apparent reason. It is a real shame that they seem to have discarded most of their inspired eclecticism as their career progressed, with the wonderful exception of Nightfreak & The Sons Of Becker which unfortunately (in hindsight) seems to be a sonic excorsism of their bizarre influences.
Carlos
Carlos
3885 posts

Re: The Coral - The Butterfly House deluxe
Jan 31, 2012, 19:38
Similar to Portugal, thanks! Ordered!
flatboxertwin
flatboxertwin
369 posts

Feb 01, 2012, 11:02
It is a real shame that they seem to have discarded most of their inspired eclecticism as their career progressed,

Interesting, and the reverse it seems of many bands who increase their experiments with eclecticism as their careers progress, often en-route to implosion (The Clash, The Beatles and Talking Heads readily spring to mind.)
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Edited Feb 01, 2012, 12:14
Feb 01, 2012, 12:12
flatboxertwin wrote:
It is a real shame that they seem to have discarded most of their inspired eclecticism as their career progressed,

Interesting, and the reverse it seems of many bands who increase their experiments with eclecticism as their careers progress, often en-route to implosion (The Clash, The Beatles and Talking Heads readily spring to mind.)

Very true, I think sometimes its a case of an ambition to perfect the songcraft vs the desire or will to experiment. In some ways I also feel that (and this is more prevalent within 'indie' bands), as British guitar music does not seem to be developing beyond certain existing templates and in several cases is merely a retrospective reappropriation of past styles, there is (unlike say The Beatles) no longer an essential need to 'move with the times' as it were.
1001realapes
1001realapes
2390 posts

The Coral - The Curse of Love
Nov 25, 2014, 18:18
Anyone pick up this "lost"
album ?

well worth a listen
keith a
9576 posts

Re: The Coral - The Curse of Love
Nov 25, 2014, 22:18
1001realapes wrote:
album ?

Me! Not played it much yet but sounds pretty decent
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Nov 25, 2014, 22:53
keith a wrote:
1001realapes wrote:
album ?

Me! Not played it much yet but sounds pretty decent

Loved it the first few listens, but it seems to be fading a bit for me. Mind you, I have a low boredom threshold. I'll probably return to it in a week or two and love it again!
meurglys III
meurglys III
1085 posts

Nov 26, 2014, 08:13
Yes, I like it. Lovely cover too
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index