The Coral - they have a new album!

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Carlos
Carlos
3884 posts

The Coral - they have a new album!
Jul 12, 2010, 23:50
I know I'm a bit alone here, but I like them. Butterfly House is the name and I'm about to order one.
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Re: The Coral - they have a new album!
Jul 13, 2010, 10:34
You're not alone mate, I'm off to see em on Thursday at the 'Phil. (Thought I'd catch them on home ground - seems appropriate).
They seem to be one of those Marmite bands but I couldn't help but be blown away when they're debut album came out - it was everything you could hope for from a Scouse band - Beefheart, Love, Scott Walker, The Elevators, Syd Barrett, Bunnymen, Teardrops, Morricone and NO BEATLISMS! (And they were teenagers at the time). Well alright! They've been a bit up and down since but the new single is a well anticipated return to form and not a million miles from Notorious Byrd Brothers era Byrds with it's leslied vocals and phased drums.
Shame the Zutons stole their thunder but then again at least the Coral never forced Valerie on us!
Now Shack have all but ceased operations (collectively) its kinda up to The Coral to carry the mystical scouse flame!
meurglys III
meurglys III
1085 posts

Jul 13, 2010, 11:29
Supported by the marvellous Cherry Ghost, who also have a new album out.

The Coral were in session on the Radcliffe & Maconie show the other night. I'm not their biggest fan but have to admit their harmony singing is sublime. The new songs sound OK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/the-radcliffe-and-maconie-show/
Eduardo
Eduardo
375 posts

Jul 13, 2010, 12:32
I like 'em, currently enjoying Roots & Echoes as it happens.
Thanks, I'll check out the newy.
keith a
9573 posts

Jul 13, 2010, 12:49
Andfurthermoreagain wrote:

Now Shack have all but ceased operations (collectively) its kinda up to The Coral to carry the mystical scouse flame!

Don't forget that The Wild Swans have an album coming out this year!

Looking forward to The Coral LP - not heard anything off it yet but heard good reports. Their 1st is probably my fave though I was rather partila to the last one, too.
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Jul 13, 2010, 13:04
Looking forward to The Coral LP - not heard anything off it yet but heard good reports. Their 1st is probably my fave though I was rather partila to the last one, too.[/quote]

Yeah, I agree with that, there's some really good stuff on Roots & Echoes (particularly Music In The Night) though some of it is a bit Doors by numbers (or latterday Bunnymen in otherwords). I felt they blew a bit off course for a while but hey, you can't argue with the first one - after all there's a whole career's worth of ideas on there so its more than enough to satisfy!
ars moriendi
ars moriendi
433 posts

Jul 13, 2010, 14:03
I went to see them play at Academy 3 in Manchester just after their magnificent debut album... they were bang on the money; fantastic performance and incredibly tight despite the elements of jamming that went on. After that I only got as far as magic and medicine (and that mini album; night freak something or other)... gave up after that as I was put off by the single in the morning. I guess it might be time to revisit them and see what they're up to. Last I heard Bill had just left the band...
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Jul 13, 2010, 14:15
Yes, the mercurial guitar boy-child genius that is Bill Ryder-Jones has left (for the 2nd time). He's certainly looking like becoming the Peter Green of the scouse scene if rumours I've heard are true.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jul 13, 2010, 16:11
I was in a record shop earlier and they were playing the new album and the tracks I heard were really good!

ps If they did a cover of "Lay Your Hands" would that make them Coral Reef?
ChayCarle
13 posts

Aug 05, 2010, 20:23
I'm going to order a copy soon. I have all their other albums and I love em.

Note that Oasis sang thier praises and then recorded "The Importance of Being Idle", the Gallachers has no idea have they? For them it was a pretty good song, but, suprise surprise their fans didn't buy it, well it's no singalong Wonderwall shite?
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index