Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
When did you get in touch with Julian Cope music?

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Bov
Bov
181 posts

Re: When did you get in touch with Julian Cope music?
Jul 12, 2010, 11:24
I guess I was kinda late to the party.

I bought Jehovahkill aged 18 (on the strength of the review in "Q"), when it came out back when my favourite bands were dullard things like REM, Crowded House and Waters-era Pink Floyd.

Needless to say I had my head totally blown off my shoulders, and voraciously hoovered-up the back catalogue. With the possible exception of Fried though, I always viewed the pre-Peggy material as something of an entertaining apprenticeship.

I can honestly say that buying that one album and visiting Avebury for the first time (in my mate's 1950's VW camper) probably changed the course of my life. So thanks Jules, and thanks Q.
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Edited Jul 12, 2010, 13:24
Jul 12, 2010, 12:22
Whilst studying in Chesterfield, a big groovy gang of us art and design student-types used to congregate at The Bucks Head, watch TOTP - before heading up the road to a club called Fusion, where our friend and role model ran an alternative night.

One evening we saw the 'Reward' video. I wasn't to become a fan (actually I'm still a way to go to match most folk reading this) until being given 'Head On' in about 1995.

I picked up several singles. Some on release... I think 'When I Dream' was in a cheapy box, though. I also bought 'Kilimanjaro' (zebra cover), at arounf that time, too.

I did see Teardrop Explodes support Queen at Milton Keynes Bowl, in about 1984, btw. That was the only time, though.
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Jul 12, 2010, 12:38
Another late starter I guess - my musical birth probably came around 89-90 so by 91 was fumbling around thinking there must be more to the world than baggy, house and shoegaze (not that I had a problem with those genres, just a thirst for eclectism) and my epiphany happened when I saw JC on Jonathan Ross performing Beautiful Love with Donn-eye on the doubleneck Gibson attempting to play the bass and guitar parts at the same time. Yeah! What's not to like! Went to my local record emporium with my last £5.50 in my pocket hoping, nay praying that the rumoured double-album at a single price tag on Peggy Suicide would hold true - and it did! Good job really! Never looked back and by the time Floored Genius came out I'd shed eager blood, sweat and pounds securing the entire back-catalogue including the rare and at that time bloody expensive, World Shut Your Mouth and Skellington albums (thanks to Vinyl Exchange in Manchester for those two beauties). Not only that but the tastes and rock n roll name drops of Julian had set me forth on a psychedelic voyage of discovery from which I've never truly returned!
I still remember heady, blissed out days at school with a new Copey prize in my hands every other week being asked by my stuck-in-the-mud non-psychedelic Madchester mates 'Julian Cope? Is that the guy from the eighties with the funny mike stand? or 'The 13th Floor Elevators, are they like Pink Floyd?'. Huh?. Well, alright!
FOMouse
FOMouse
228 posts

Edited Jul 12, 2010, 16:59
Jul 12, 2010, 16:58
Acid Mouse was good! Squelchy like melty cheese or chocolate.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Jul 12, 2010, 17:57
Jul 12, 2010, 17:00
IanB wrote:

I really hated baggy and Acid House - hated the music. Really hated the look. There are a couple of tracks by the Roses and Mondays that were ok (usually because of someone else's production ideas) but the likes of The Milltown Bros, The Farm, Flowered Up, Inspiral Carpets etc were really not meant for me. Neither were the drugs de jour. Can you really see any of that lot coming up with "Hanging Out" , "Promised Land" or "You"? To be fair I was probably 5 years too old for all that. I can see how it might have seemed different if you were 17 - 25 in 1991 and had grown up with the worst of the early and mid 80s.

I was in MADchester (gleep!) right at the heart of the whole acid house/baggy thing, and, though I concur a lot of the tunes were poo, the sense of good times and energy was palpable (and no, not just cos of a 'cheeky half'), and I have to say, a fuck of a lot more fun than the post Oasis guitar drabness of later years. I think the Roses, Mondays and Inspirals were deserved of their big 3 status, cos, in the end, they simply had better songs than the myriad also-rans. That said, whoulda thunk the Charlatans (destined to be someone's 4th fave band forever) would prove to be the ultimate survivors?

Thing is, like most scenes, the baggy bands had a least one genius tune in their repetoire and a lot of filler inbetween. It was never really an album thing (although I think the Big 3 did some good albums), it was about tracks being played out in clubs. It was always odd that the Inspirals got lumped in with it all really. True, they stitched a couple of funky shuffles onto some songs, but at their heart they were a keys driven garage rock band that got baggied up.

Another, IMO, good thing about that time was the hearing of really squelchy acid house proper and some sterling techno. Such a pleasing thing to hear Phuture track followed by a Stone Roses track in clubs, or a an Orbital track played along side a Charlatans track. Madchester had some amazing dance stuff providing the soundtrack, a wider selection of electronica than the Melody Maker or NME would report on.

Mind you, like you, I was never much of a fan of the 'look'. I liked the psychedelic thing, but not in the form of a shapeless mass (although I do own an of the time Joe Bloggs purple top which I still love AND a James Tour tour sweat shirt with a big, Baggy flower on it which is still cute). I used to compromise with a kind of goth/bright colours hybrid. Confused?! You Will be!

Anyhoo, it was all doomed, like these things are, to peter out, but fun times were had up this end (ooer!)
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Jul 12, 2010, 18:12
I remember Copey on TOTP in the 80s, especially WSYM, but I didn't delve any further as my tastes were more Black Sabbath and the mid-80s thrash metal bands. In 91 though a mate sent a compilation tape with Safesurfer on and that led me to buy Peggy Suicide. Then saw him play in Bradford before Jehovakill finally got released. Given I'd already enjoyed visiting northern prehistoric sites e.g. the Northumberland cup and ring marks and Cumbrian stone circles etc, then I guess JC became a bit of a hero around then. But even more so after I founf the HH reviews in 2001 or 2002 as I've a similar taste to him. Given my more rock background I had no problem with Brain Donor or his recent solo records. I had more of a problem getting into St Julian and Teardrops but I'm loving the Kilimanjaro reissue - the things that bothered me, the keyboards & trumpets etc sound fine to my ears now with the further passing of time.
Carlos
Carlos
3884 posts

Jul 12, 2010, 18:55
So you went to a Queen show, hum...
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Jul 13, 2010, 17:19
Jul 13, 2010, 17:18
Just remembered also! A girl at school, Sarah L, quite fancied Cope in the "Reward" vid, and I quite fancied her so I made it a mission to find out more. It's always a good excuse to find out about bands at that age. Got into Zep for initially the same reason. Same person too! Ah, to be young again.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Jul 13, 2010, 17:26
Moon Cat wrote:
A girl at school, Sarah L, quite fancied Cope in the "Reward" vid...Got into Zep for initially the same reason.

Which one did you fancy? Plant? Page?
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jul 13, 2010, 17:29
Plant. He was golden god! Sigh.

ps Sarah L, if you're reading this, thank you for your party in the 2nd year xx
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index