Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 4 July 2010 CE

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1708 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 4 July 2010 CE
Jul 05, 2010, 18:13
British Seapower- Man of Aran (with the accompanying DVD, watched in the company of my 74-year old Dad)

David Crosby- If I Could Only Remember My Name

Tim Buckley- Happy Sad

Tim Buckley- Blue Afternoon

Elvis Costello- Mighty Like A Rose

Black Box Recorder- The Worst Of

Donovan- Essence To Essence

These New Puritans- Hidden

Van Morrison- New York Sessions '67

Van Morrison- Saint Dominic's Preview

Aphrodite's Child- Singles Plus

Sandy Denny- No more Sad Refrains (comp)

Mudhoney- Since We Became Translucent

The Make Up- Sound Verite
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1708 posts

Edited Jul 05, 2010, 18:27
Re: Th' Faith Healers
Jul 05, 2010, 18:22
merged my two posts into one. see below.
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1708 posts

Re: Fuzzbox and Faith Healers
Jul 05, 2010, 18:26
Sin Agog wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Sin Agog wrote:
We've Got A Fuzzbox And We're Gonna Use It - Bostin' Steve Austin!

Quality! Some really good stuff on your list - is Th'Faith Healers' Peel Sessions worth getting? I remember they did a great version of "SOS" on one Peel Session.

I love that Fuzzbox album. Just a ridiculous amount of fun, like most music made by all-girl groups.

I think the Peel Session might be Th' Faith Healers' best work, but it is definitely spikier and noisier than anything else the band ever recorded. It just kinda smacks you in the face from the very first track. That first session with the Abba cover is probably my favourite, though. It'd be pretty cool hearing a whole Abba cover album made by noise rock groups (cue someone telling me such a thing exists...) There's an almost as unlikely cover of Without You on there as well.

Did you catch the Fuzzbox reunion tour? The show at the Engine Room was also a ridiculous amount of fun.

Fond memories of Th' Faith Healers too, and grungey nights in the Camden Falcon, Islington Powerhaus, squat parties at the Hornsey Road Vicarage with Milk, Silverfish, The God Machine, Daisy Chainsaw... I once slept in Roxanne Faith Healer's bed. She wasn't in it at the time, mind.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Jul 05, 2010, 19:01
Jul 05, 2010, 19:00
I thought it was pretty good, if not an earth-shattering work of LITERATURE. I do seriously wonder if he's seen "Lebowski" and may have been a bit inspired by it (the "doper detective" vibe if not anything relating to plot or characters.)

Anyway he can't always be taking 15 years to write a 1200 page novel . . . I liked this one better than "Against The Day".
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Jul 05, 2010, 19:24
Gnomon wrote:
I like Gold Panda's 'You' very much! Are the remixes worth checking out?
:o)

Yeah, they're reasonably varied. So far the stuff he/they've put out has been very good all round.
Five
Five
960 posts

Jul 05, 2010, 19:31
Dog 3000 wrote:
I thought it was pretty good, if not an earth-shattering work of LITERATURE. I do seriously wonder if he's seen "Lebowski" and may have been a bit inspired by it (the "doper detective" vibe if not anything relating to plot or characters.)

Anyway he can't always be taking 15 years to write a 1200 page novel . . . I liked this one better than "Against The Day".

VINELAND was tripped out and strange but on the whole I've enjoyed it ... the language was awesome, the characters bizarre, and tho I read it over a year ago I'm still thinking about. Just started re-reading V. Would like to read "Inherent Vice" but Pynchon is such that getting it from the library doesn't really work. (Takes too long to read.) Skimmed a few pages of one in a bookstore that involved a hot air balloon and was truly odd. Went back to buy it some time later (used store, thinking who coulda wanted that besides me) but it was gone.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jul 06, 2010, 18:54
keith a wrote:
machineryelf wrote:

I've always thought 12XU would be greatly improved by slowing it riiiiggggghhhhhttttt ddddooooooowwwwwwwnnnnnnn and getting some goth to shout over the top of it, shalalapushpush humph! etc

I'd buy it!

Actually I came across a synth cover of 12XU recently. I described it elsewhere as sounding how it would have sounded if Wire had got together after hearing Warm Leatherette!

That cover is the bees knees Keith ,ta very much
Terryto
28 posts

Jul 06, 2010, 19:13
Vibracathedral Orchestra - s/t double LP/ Momentary Aviary LP/Smash! Smash! Smash! cdr
Radio Algeria & Radio Thailand Sublime Frequencies comps
Angus Maclise - The Cloud Doctrine
Brast Burn & Karuna Khyal CD's
Beat of the Earth - s/t
Alvarius B - s/t Cd
Low - Secret Name
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Jul 06, 2010, 19:36
Of note, the new Ariel Pink.

Not even 'a bit psychedelic' can begin to descrine the bizarreness he creates.

Kind of reminds me of some of the sublime frequencies stuff.

The more radio-station oriented recordings.

The tune 'Fright Night' send shivers.

Has something like a 'contained euphoria'.

A nod to the movie?

Probably.

Anyroad, best he's done.

Love it.

x
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Papertracks of our Vice
Jul 07, 2010, 02:53
I enjoyed VINELAND a lot and think it's one of his better ones -- though only read it once so far, in fact I think I will get it out and give it a second read now. "Inherent Vice" is a bit similar to that one (hippies and detectives are involved.)

The hot air balloon one was "Against The Day" -- took me nearly a year to get through, in the end I thought it was just a shaggy dog story (I don' geddit.) Probably more like "Gravity's Rainbow" than anything else he has written, but I may be a bit unusual in not being much of a fan of either of these!

However I loved "Mason & Dixon" which is just as long and rambling, and "even worse" is written in 18th century dialect. But worth the effort if you have several months to devote to an epic! I think it's his "most masterpiecish" (so far.)
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index