Unsung Forum »
Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 4 July 2010 CE

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 4 July 2010 CE
Jul 05, 2010, 12:44
Yeah, don't mind Waterlow. Nice strings!

As for I Wish I Was Your Mother - well, not wild on that one TBH, though I should add that I don't dislike it or anything. It's just too like Dylan (albeit backed by an early 70's Stones) whereas I want MTH to sound like MTH. Where's the sha-la-la-push-pushes for god's sake! ; )

I perhaps should also add that I do like the 1st two solo Hunter LP's, though I thought some of the more recent stuff he played when I saw him live about 5 yrs ago was pretty poor.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jul 05, 2010, 16:31
HAIL! \m/

Been listening to...

Furyon - Underdog EP. new Brit metal band mixing rock classicism with C21 production. Riffy and heavy. I like.

Tudor Acid - Merri Portland. Like this! Kinda like a more accessable Squarepusher mix of mad beats with early Orbital tech-minimalism.

Orbital - Insides. Poss my fave Orbital album.

Pentangle - Solomon's Seal. Lost album found. Great.

Muse - The Resistance. BIG!

Robyn - Body Talk pt 1. Parts 2 & 3 to follow later this year I'm told. Pop Pixie does her thing once more. A couple of ballads on here remind you that she's got a lovely voice.

Black Tempest - Proxima. Excellent Tangy Squid fully realised to amazing effect. Well done that man/cephalopod! Top 1

Aliens - Astronomy For Dogs. Now that's what I call the psyche 60's as reimagined to joyous effect by former Beta people. Tis v good.

Holderlein Express - s/t. German folk-electronica melange. I like.

Audioslave - Revelations. The band that never overcame the sum of it's parts but this is more varied than earlier stuff and Chris Cornell has such a great rock voice.

Chick Corea - Early Days. Niiice

Worm Ouroboros - s/t Ace mix of mid-doom, earthy prog and folk elements with a female singer. Like it muchly! V good!

Have a nice week melody munchers x
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jul 05, 2010, 16:32
keith a wrote:
I want MTH to sound like MTH. Where's the sha-la-la-push-pushes for god's sake! ; )

I perhaps should also add that I do like the 1st two solo Hunter LP's, though I thought some of the more recent stuff he played when I saw him live about 5 yrs ago was pretty poor.

I've always thought 12XU would be greatly improved by slowing it riiiiggggghhhhhttttt ddddooooooowwwwwwwnnnnnnn and getting some goth to shout over the top of it, shalalapushpush humph! etc

Hunter was great early on, pretty much pissed it away though IMHO. Was far more into that than punk in the late 70s , Cleveland Rocks etc, in the days before big rock went horrible.I remember when You could mention Eno, Hunter & Ronson in the same breath and not be looked upon peculiarly,reminds me of hot summers listening to Slaughter On Tenth Ave & Here Come The Warm Jets

ta for the Faust track, well handbag worthy, Faust is Last has moved well up the list
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Jul 05, 2010, 16:34
Moon Cat wrote:
Black Tempest - Proxima. Excellent Tangy Squid fully realised to amazing effect. Well done that man/cephalopod! Top 1

Thanks Moon Cat, glad you like it 8-) New one ready soon, I'm quite excited.
keith a
9573 posts

Jul 05, 2010, 16:47
machineryelf wrote:

I've always thought 12XU would be greatly improved by slowing it riiiiggggghhhhhttttt ddddooooooowwwwwwwnnnnnnn and getting some goth to shout over the top of it, shalalapushpush humph! etc

I'd buy it!

Actually I came across a synth cover of 12XU recently. I described it elsewhere as sounding how it would have sounded if Wire had got together after hearing Warm Leatherette!
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Jul 05, 2010, 16:50
Solomon's Seal is an all time life favourite of mine. I have thrown all my non existent hats into the canal of bliss in honour of you Moony!

Extra Om Shanti With Antique Lapis Lazuli Knobs On.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jul 05, 2010, 16:51
Tis v good, that's for sure.

Om Penty!
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Jul 05, 2010, 17:08
Jul 05, 2010, 17:01
Dog 3000 wrote:
Whatya think of "Inherent Vice"?

Reminded me of his earlier "Vineland" crossed with "The Big Lebowski"!

Not quite finished it yet- 75 pages or so to go- but I'm finding it a lot of fun and genuinely hilarious. I can see why Pynchonites aren't really taking to it, though: it's a novel almost entirely without subtext, unless "Surf's up on the '60s" counts. I'm just imagining it as the product of a meeting of minds between Dashiell Hammett and Elmore Leonard, rather than the guy who wrote Gravity's Rainbow, and it's reading a lot better. The Coen connection makes sense, too. I guess it's got a doper's sense of plotting:- constant deus ex machinas, Leo always finding his next lead straight after exhausting the old one, every female being hot and horny, the story just kinda floating along. Most of those criticisms actually make the book kinda endearing to me. And you can always just concentrate on Pynchon's wordplay if those things start to get a bit grating.

Also, shallow as it may be, hearing bands like Pearls Before Swine name-dropped gives me a bit of a cheap thrill.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Jul 05, 2010, 17:05
Check out Bert Jansch's 'Avocet'. It's such a wonderful album. Purely instrumental, and I reckon a gifted artist/photographer like yourself would seriously dig. It's pictures of landscapes and wildlife in sound. Beautiful.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jul 05, 2010, 17:13
The Sea Cat wrote:
Check out Bert Jansch's 'Avocet'. It's such a wonderful album. Purely instrumental, and I reckon a gifted artist/photographer like yourself would seriously dig. It's pictures of landscapes and wildlife in sound. Beautiful.

Thanks for the reccomendation. Sounds top. All I've got of BJ's solo stuff is a really good compilation that I got a few years ago. Seems to be quite comprehensve, but I do fancy an instrumental album of his tip top twanging and pluckery. Ta.
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index