Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 4 July 2010 CE
Jul 05, 2010, 00:32
thesweetcheat wrote:
Sin Agog wrote:
We've Got A Fuzzbox And We're Gonna Use It - Bostin' Steve Austin!

Quality! Some really good stuff on your list - is Th'Faith Healers' Peel Sessions worth getting? I remember they did a great version of "SOS" on one Peel Session.

I love that Fuzzbox album. Just a ridiculous amount of fun, like most music made by all-girl groups.

I think the Peel Session might be Th' Faith Healers' best work, but it is definitely spikier and noisier than anything else the band ever recorded. It just kinda smacks you in the face from the very first track. That first session with the Abba cover is probably my favourite, though. It'd be pretty cool hearing a whole Abba cover album made by noise rock groups (cue someone telling me such a thing exists...) There's an almost as unlikely cover of Without You on there as well.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Jul 05, 2010, 03:19
Whatya think of "Inherent Vice"?

Reminded me of his earlier "Vineland" crossed with "The Big Lebowski"!
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Jul 05, 2010, 03:24
Sun Ra - My Brother The Wind Vol. I & II, Disco 3000

Sun Araw - On Patrol

Lots of PARLIAMENT (I have the Funkadelic records mostly memorized, but still find forgotten gems on those Parliament records.)

Some cool LP's I bought recently (did I mention these last week?):

Wand - Born Bad
MV & EE - Drone Trailer
Meat Puppets - Sewn Together
Black Mountain - In The Future

The last two are almost absurdly well manufactured - great thick slabs of vinyl (pukespray orange for M'uppets) in big fat thick carboard gatefolds!

But damndamndamn!!! my turntable has to go into the shop. Nasty hum and one channel out.

LIVE: Already reported on BLACK MOUNTAIN this week. Les Sans Coulottes (sic) this week, LIARS next week!

TAPE IN THE CAR: best of Miles 1970-74 (about 6 of my fave tracks on a c90. "SPANISH KEY" baby!!!!)
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jul 05, 2010, 07:09
mingtp wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
Fuzztones – Lysergic Emnations

*applause*

takes a bow 'thankyew'

on crackly old vinyl too,somehow the thought of a fuzztone on cd is wrong ;-)
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jul 05, 2010, 07:20
You crusty old pop tart;-)

''workman-like rock that basically consists of a yobbish sounding Dylan fan hollering over some tired old Stones riffs.'' Is this a bad thing? Only to girly pop tarts swanning around in their bangles, beads n feathers. At the coalface of rock you'll find the real troopers digging deep into the true boogie seam, home of the yobbish Dylan fan & worse!

You know your problem Mr A, you're afraid to love your inner rock, and until you take a firm hard grasp on your hard dark core you'll be left in the corner dancing round your handbag whilst thre rest of us have fun in the big messy rockpit.
keith a
9573 posts

Jul 05, 2010, 09:13
I don't know Th' Faith Healers records, but I reviewed the Peel Sessions set as below if this is any help...

TH’ FAITH HEALERS – Peel Sessions (Ba Da Bing / BBC)

I’ve got to admit that Th’ Faith Healers pretty much passed me by in the early 90’s, and the only reason I can recall them at all is due to their carelessness with that letter ‘e’ in their name. It would appear, however, that they were well-liked by a certain John Peel as they recorded five sessions for his show, and that the great man was right to give them his backing because there’s some great stuff on this disc containing four of those five sessions (the first session was apparently released on Strange Fruit way back in 1992).

The opening session from early 1992 is the strongest by far for me, as Hippy Hole sounds like Dirty-era Sonic Youth with singer Roxanne Stephen indulging in some Kim Gordon-like wailing over a guitar sound that also brings to mind the word ‘dirty’. This Time, which follows, is even better and is probably the best track on the cd for me, with some great grinding guitar work c/o Tom Cullinan over a repetitive bass line and pounding drums - fans of late 80’s riff merchants Loop will love this track. The other two tracks from this session are Reptile Smile, which is an altogether poppier thing shining from a wall of feedback, and a cover of what is perhaps Abba’s greatest ever song, SOS. This was an excellent session and one I know I’m going to find myself coming back to time and time again.

That’s not to say that rest of the album isn’t worth hearing, however. Bulkhead is has a great Wire-like stop/start beat and I’m Ready is excellent even if it does basically consist solely of Roxanne screaming “I’m ready, I’m ready, owwww” over a two chord thrash. It’s like The Slits trying to be The Stooges, which is definitely a good thing in my book!

Indeed, I much prefer Th’ Faith Healers in these wilder moments, being less keen on the more fey tracks like Serge. Still these are few and far between, with another noisefest like Ooh La La coming along before they could ever become too Belle & Sebastian. The latter track, taken from final session, is one of the three songs they wrote together before they split, and New Number Two in particular makes you wonder if they were a little hasty in calling it a day. The session ended somewhat appropriately with an almost tongue-in-cheek run through Without You, which Peel apparently described as one of the best cover versions he’d ever heard. Whilst I wouldn’t go that far - it’s something of a shambolic rendition of the old Nillson classic to be honest - it’s enjoyable all the same, and at least it’s better than Maria Carey’s murderous effort!

But enough of that wailing diva who allegedly ‘doesn’t do stairs’ - what would Peel’s response to these sessions being released be, muses Roxanne on the sleeve notes. Well Roxanne, I’ve got a sneaky feeling he’d have enjoyed hearing them again. There’s plenty to enjoy… ****
keith a
9573 posts

Edited Jul 05, 2010, 09:28
Jul 05, 2010, 09:28
machineryelf wrote:

''workman-like rock that basically consists of a yobbish sounding Dylan fan hollering over some tired old Stones riffs.'' Is this a bad thing? Only to girly pop tarts swanning around in their bangles, beads n feathers. At the coalface of rock you'll find the real troopers digging deep into the true boogie seam, home of the yobbish Dylan fan & worse!

You know your problem Mr A, you're afraid to love your inner rock, and until you take a firm hard grasp on your hard dark core you'll be left in the corner dancing round your handbag whilst thre rest of us have fun in the big messy rockpit.

I've tried, honestly, Mr Machinery. And it's not that I hate those MTH LP tracks, just that - sadly - I find them very...ordinary.

And I was about to say you're probably right and that I lost my inner rock a long time ago but then I play something like Raw Power and I know something is still there!

And going off at a slight 'rock' tangent...the relentless, throbbing Feed The Greed off the latest Faust album. Have you heard it? An awesome track!
I'd happily dance round my handbag to this one!
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Jul 05, 2010, 10:01
Marc Bolan - The Words & Music Of...
Genesis - Seconds Out
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
Beulah - When Your Heartstrings Break
Wishbone Ash - Argus
Madness - One Step Beyond
Mike & Lal Waterson - Bright Phoebus
Deep Purple - In Rock
Wizzard - Eddie & The Falcons
The Beach Boys - Surfin' Safari
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jul 05, 2010, 10:21
keith a wrote:
machineryelf wrote:

I've tried, honestly, Mr Machinery. And it's not that I hate those MTH LP tracks, just that - sadly - I find them very...ordinary.

And I was about to say you're probably right and that I lost my inner rock a long time ago but then I play something like Raw Power and I know something is still there!

And going off at a slight 'rock' tangent...the relentless, throbbing Feed The Greed off the latest Faust album. Have you heard it? An awesome track!
I'd happily dance round my handbag to this one!

Must catch up with my Faust, still to hear Cest Complicated [sic?] never mind the latest, I'll add them to the list, so to answer your question ref Feed The greed, no I've not heard it, the various incarnations of Faust leave me bemused,it seems trhat 2 half fausts =2 good fausts which is a surprise , but the write ups seem to be good for both and You do seem to have reasonably good taste ;-) [your failure to rock tendencies we'll ignore for the time being] so I might just give it a punt

As for Mott, Born Late 58, Pearl n Roy what's not to love, please tell me you don't find 'Waterlow' or 'I Wish I Was Your Mother' ordinary. I'll let you off 'Ready For love' & 'El Camino Real' because although I think they're wonderful I can see why you could pick fault, but everyone loves 'Waterlow' don't they?

I'll leave the final word to the master, much as I can't be arsed with most of his Bobnesses output his existance is justified purely to allow this LP to exist, a finer example of yobbish Dylan fandom would hard to find

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/albumofthemonth/225
keith a
9573 posts

Edited Jul 05, 2010, 12:28
Jul 05, 2010, 12:25
Well I wouldn't say that the Faust track I mentioned is typical of the album by any means so don't buy it expecting two cd's worth of throbbingness, which is admittedly a long way from Mott The Hoople, so I'm not sure why I'm going on about it - other than cos it makes me bob up and down in my seat!

As for the two Fausts...well Mr Tones and I went to see the other version recently. I reviewed it here if you wanna quick look...

http://www.evilsponge.org/concert/Faust__13May10.htm

Just off to listen to Waterlow. Will report back later!
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index