Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2609 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 20 June 2010 CE
Jun 20, 2010, 09:56
Check this out:

http://www.mikeoldfield.org/news/100427.htm

It sounds great, but whether it's a significant improvement on your CD I can't say. It certainly sounds better than the thin version I already had on 'Boxed'.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Jun 20, 2010, 10:01
Jun 20, 2010, 10:00
Thanks for the link. I'm wary of the new mixes you mentioned, but my older remaster is very warm and has good range and depth, although the overall volume level is rather low. I think I'll hang fire for a while.

First Hergest Ridge, and now you've got me digging Egg this afternoon!
:-)
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Jun 20, 2010, 10:13
You guys have been listening to some great stuff this week! I particularly dig Terryto and Seacat's selections. Makes me more annoyed I don't keep some kinda listening diary. I know I've given Mellow Candle a play at one point. I've also been hitting up tons of gorgeous, gorgeous Italian psyche-folk albums recently. Claudio Rocchi is my favourite discovery of late. He used to be in the Rock in Opposition band Stormy Six, but his music is nothing like that. Just heady psyche-folk music that seems to try to turn itself inside out just that bit harder than most anyone else in an effort to reach the stars. Best LP I've heard probably being Essenza from '73, but most of his early stuff is great. More LP's I've played recently that'd probably make a Copey book called Woprocksampler if it existed: Opus Avantra - Introspezzione, Pierrot Lunaire - Gudren, Franco Battiato - Fetus/Pollution/Sulle Corde di Ares, Luciano Cilio - Dialoghi Del Presente, Alan Sorrenti - Aria, The Great Complotto Pordenone (not totally cosmic like the others, but a really fun Italian post-punk comp).
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Jun 20, 2010, 10:25
Jun 20, 2010, 10:18
Sin Agog wrote:
I've also been hitting up tons of gorgeous, gorgeous Italian psyche-folk albums recently. Claudio Rocchi is my favourite discovery of late. He used to be in the Rock in Opposition band Stormy Six, but his music is nothing like that. Just heady psyche-folk music that seems to try to turn itself inside out just that bit harder than most anyone else in an effort to reach the stars. Best LP I've heard probably being Essenza from '73, but most of his early stuff is great. More LP's I've played recently that'd probably make a Copey book called Woprocksampler if it existed: Opus Avantra - Introspezzione, Pierrot Lunaire - Gudren, Franco Battiato - Fetus/Pollution/Sulle Corde di Ares, Luciano Cilio - Dialoghi Del Presente, Alan Sorrenti - Aria, The Great Complotto Pordenone (not totally cosmic like the others, but a really fun Italian post-punk comp).

Claudio Rocchi - he sounds right up my street. I'm definitely going to check him out. Thanks for the recommendation.

Your Cope book sugestion has nearly made me choke with laughter!
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jun 20, 2010, 10:42
Sin Agog wrote:
Makes me more annoyed I don't keep some kinda listening diary.

or maybe you can tidy up after yourself, the only reason I know what I've listened to is the big pile of CDs/LPs that need putting away
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1706 posts

Jun 20, 2010, 11:03
Moon Duo- Escape

U2- October

Van Morrison- Into The Music

Van Morrison- Common One

V/A- Mojo presents The Wall rebuilt, disc one

The Television Personalities- A Memory Is Better Than Nothing

Hawkwind- Quark, Strangeness and Charm

Bill Fay- S/T

AR Kane- 'i'

Munich Capella Antiqua- Gregorian Chants

Big Star- Radio City

And lots of 7" singles- including large amounts of vintage Cope and Teardrop Explodes- in preperation for my DJ-ing stint this afternoon!
1001realapes
1001realapes
2387 posts

Edited Jun 20, 2010, 12:23
Jun 20, 2010, 12:21
Five wrote:
1001realapes wrote:

Bob Dylan : Alternate Oh Mercy

... Really?

A custom cdr , a vast improvement ,
i also did one for Infidels

1 Political World
2 Where Teardrops Fall
3 Everything Is Broken (Alternate take from Tell Tale Signs)
4 Ring Them Bells (Might be alt from TTS)
5 Man In The Long Black Coat
6 Most Of The Time (alt from TTS)
7 Born In Time (TTS)
8 God Knows (TTS)
9 Dignity (TTS)
10 Series Of Dreams (TTS)
keith a
9572 posts

Jun 20, 2010, 19:32
This week I have been listening to...

Fatlatch Radio – podcast from a Merseyside based Wire fan.
I've played the first 6 shows this week and there’s lots of good stuff here - apart from Wire he’s played Teardrop Explodes, The Fall, The Move, Talking Heads, etc so this is a show almost designed to please me. He’s also played some good stuff I didn’t know.
Check it out at...
http://www.mixcloud.com/fatlatch/
or
http://fatlatchradio.mypodcast.com/

LP’s
NO REST – Christy & Emily
This is a real grower with Cave being the stand-out track for me with its big echoey drum, a distant bass and much shimmying guitar providing a haunting backdrop to their voices. If you like the idea of the Velvets covering Las Vegas Basement, Julian’s classic Peggy Suicide track, you will love this. It’s beautiful – one of the best things I've heard all year in fact.

SQUIRREL & G MAN – Happy Mondays
Hearing this now it seems to have much in common with post-punk stuff from 1979-80. As much as I like Thrills’n’Pills, just how imagine how revered these lot would be if they’d have called it a day after Bummed.

Also...
DO YOU WANT THE TRUTH OR SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL - Paloma Faith
AUTOMATIC – JAMC
HEUTE ABENDE (1991) – Kraftwerk
BRAVE THE ELEMENTS – Lost Idol
PISSING ON BONFIRES – Meursault
FIND A PLACE TO BE SAFE – Safe Collapse Under The Empire
THE SKY ABOVE THE ROOF - Solus 3

45’s
JEAN GENIE – David Bowie
DON’T SHILLY SHALLY – Edwyn Collins
STAINLESS STEEL PROVIDERS - Revolting Cocks
NO MORE HEROES – The Stranglers (having read the article about it in this month’s Uncut)
DON’T EVEN GO THERE EP - Tindersticks
HOT LOVE / GET IT ON – T.Rex
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Jun 20, 2010, 19:38
working my way through the early dylan catalogue
a true punk just watch no direction home for the power
flashbackcaruso
1054 posts

Edited Jun 20, 2010, 20:48
Jun 20, 2010, 20:47
Pink Floyd - More

Sergius Golowin - Lord Krishna Von Goloka

Genesis - A Trick Of The Tail (This was my first 'old' Genesis LP. In 1986 it seemed a welcome alternative to 'Invisible Touch', and it's still a favourite. As usual Tony Banks dominates the songwriting, and with good reason).

Elvis Presley - No.2 (A nice pink vinyl 10" replica of the yellow cover released in the UK on HMV).

The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street (My first listen to this. I've always been more into their late 60s stuff, and this hasn't changed things. I'm sure it'll sink in with subsequent plays).

Bobbie Gentry - The Delta Sweete (A beautifully detailed song-cycle from this most unsung of talents. Brilliance beyond the call of duty).

The Damned - Damned Damned Damned

Pet Shop Boys - Yes (When this came out last year it sounded like the best thing they'd done for more than a decade. Returning to it this week I'm pleased to report that this impression hasn't changed).

Simple Minds - Sons & Fascination/Sister Feelings Call (I prefer SFC to its 'parent album'. Any album that opens with 'Theme For Great Cities' is going to be a bit of a classic, and there are several more tracks to match it on the rest of the LP. Why did they have to spoil things by getting so pompous as the decade progressed?)
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index