Your favourite musical instrument?

55 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Edited Mar 13, 2010, 17:56
Re: Your favourite musical instrument?
Mar 13, 2010, 11:25
I'm a drummer. I played in bands from 1976, graduating from my brother's secondhand homemade set to a very basic Premier Olympic four shell kit. With very limited funds I used to add things to it. It finally morphed into a huge collection of random secondhand percussive power. A pair of cheap rubbish Maxwin bass drums sat 'neath a row of toms, among which nestled the two original Olympic ones. And lots and lots of cymbals. No quality brands like Paiste or Zildjian. Just cheap trash. But lots. I mostly acquired these bits from Jones & Crossland, Drumworld, and Musical Exchanges in Birmingham between 1978 - 81.

To make the two black bass drums match the white toms I got some red, yellow and blue sheets of sticky back fablon and traced and cut circular spots. My kit became a psychedelic polkadot vision.

Then I got a proper kit. I was gigging and recording and needed something that didn't need lots of gaffa tape to eliminate rattles and buzzes that could be picked up in the studio. And something that fitted into less cases in the truck. I got a Premier APK kit. It was boring. I don't like the two toms mounted on the bass drum configuration really, it served a purpose, though. And the Wonder Stuff road crew could quickly get it soundchecked on the nights we were touring with them.

That band played it's final gig in Derby supporting the Parachute Men, in 1989.

Then, in 1990, having left the midlands for a new life... I sold that drum kit to an eleven year old girl in north London, who played in a thrash metal band. And that marked the day I stopped being a drummer.

EDIT: End of part one.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index