Unsung Forum »
Your favourite musical instrument?

55 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Doody
33 posts

Re: Your favourite musical instrument?
Mar 13, 2010, 01:27
I've had only one bass since 2002, an early Nineties Rickenbacker 4003 with black hardware and in that hideous yellow maple finish that a lot of old Ricks used to come with. My sister bought it for me, and it was beaten to hell when I got it. Over the past several years I've replaced both pickups (the neck one is now a Gibson-type humbucker à la Barry Adamson), the nut (twice), the truss rod cover, and the bridge and tailpiece assembly. The other day, I had the neck clamped and straightened, because it had looked like a banana since from the first day I had it. It's the most playable it's ever been, but it's still a pretty big piece of junk at this point.

On Monday, I pick up a brand new 4003 from my local dealer. It will be the first brand-new instrument I've ever owned. Still, I'm keeping my old bass. For one, my sister would kill me if I sold it. Also, I'm more comfortable touring with it than with a brand-new instrument. But mostly, I would feel weird if I didn't have it anymore. It's my first bass, and I've used it for so long and on so many recordings that I would miss it.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index