Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: Your favourite musical instrument?
Mar 13, 2010, 19:28
Kid Calamity wrote:
Part Two
So, something like thirteen years elapsed. I'd moved to London got married got work, lost work and got a kid. It was through meeting new friends having relocated to Shropshire that I started drumming again. At first some cheap and nasty plastic headed bongos, so I could jam along to my mate who played the African djembe hand drum. A little later I bought a drum kit from an old mate in Derbyshire. He's a mate of ToneStone's and played in the Bland.

The kit was another five piece set up, but of a cheaper make. However, a friend who had helped him buy it had generously added a really good DW bass drum pedal and a couple of stands. On collecting the kit, I asked whether this mysterious mate might want his bits back at some point was reassured that he wouldn't. As he was in prison. "Well, what about when he gets out?" I asked. "He ain't coming out" My mate replied. It turns out that those nice bits of the kit belonged to a murderer who was found by police nursing his father's head, whilst out in the garden was his half-arsed and abandoned efforts to bury the headless corpse.

By 2004 I was back in a band. Albeit a local bunch of dads, but it was time to get some proper drums. I got an eBay bargain. Somehow the vendor had failed to use the words "drum" and "kit" in the item's description, so nobody else found it or bid. I got it for his silly starting price! It's an old Mapex drum kit, two toms, an old vintage 1970s Premier snare drum and a monstrous 24 inch diameter bass drum. To this I added some of the murderer's accessories, selling the old five piece to the former drummer of the Macc Lads, who lives nearby. Those cheap and nasty bongos are also on this current kit, acting as sort of rubbish, trashy timbales.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=249044474&albumID=926769&imageID=8850504#a=926769&i=8850504

Great story Kid! I reckon this almost calls for a "Photos of our music rooms" thread...I might have to dig the camera out this weekend.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index