Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Re: Your favourite musical instrument?
Mar 13, 2010, 19:25
Kid Calamity wrote:
Tell us more about that particular SG. Where did you get it? Has it been modified for your own personal preferred style?

Off ebay! It's a lovely beast actually, a cherry red Standard. The bloke who sold it was a guitar tech, and he set it up beautifully to my stated requirements, for no extra cost. It was flawless and shiny until Mrs Squid dropped a music stand on it...
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Mar 13, 2010, 19:28
Kid Calamity wrote:
Part Two
So, something like thirteen years elapsed. I'd moved to London got married got work, lost work and got a kid. It was through meeting new friends having relocated to Shropshire that I started drumming again. At first some cheap and nasty plastic headed bongos, so I could jam along to my mate who played the African djembe hand drum. A little later I bought a drum kit from an old mate in Derbyshire. He's a mate of ToneStone's and played in the Bland.

The kit was another five piece set up, but of a cheaper make. However, a friend who had helped him buy it had generously added a really good DW bass drum pedal and a couple of stands. On collecting the kit, I asked whether this mysterious mate might want his bits back at some point was reassured that he wouldn't. As he was in prison. "Well, what about when he gets out?" I asked. "He ain't coming out" My mate replied. It turns out that those nice bits of the kit belonged to a murderer who was found by police nursing his father's head, whilst out in the garden was his half-arsed and abandoned efforts to bury the headless corpse.

By 2004 I was back in a band. Albeit a local bunch of dads, but it was time to get some proper drums. I got an eBay bargain. Somehow the vendor had failed to use the words "drum" and "kit" in the item's description, so nobody else found it or bid. I got it for his silly starting price! It's an old Mapex drum kit, two toms, an old vintage 1970s Premier snare drum and a monstrous 24 inch diameter bass drum. To this I added some of the murderer's accessories, selling the old five piece to the former drummer of the Macc Lads, who lives nearby. Those cheap and nasty bongos are also on this current kit, acting as sort of rubbish, trashy timbales.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=249044474&albumID=926769&imageID=8850504#a=926769&i=8850504

Great story Kid! I reckon this almost calls for a "Photos of our music rooms" thread...I might have to dig the camera out this weekend.
Kosmischeboy
Kosmischeboy
664 posts

Edited Mar 13, 2010, 20:45
Mar 13, 2010, 20:39
Mine is my trusty SP808 sampler. It's served me well over the years, in fact the one i have now is the second one i've owned. I bought (the first one) pretty much as soon as it came out in the late nineties, with my student loan. Me and a few mates set up a band called "project blue book" playing some cool stuff influenced by krautrock/early drum and bass and dub, pretty ahead of its time. We used my 808 for the heart of that project. At some point on my way into the rehearsal studio with an armful of gear i got caught up on the wrought iron gate and managed to drop the SP808 down a flight of concrete steps! The case got beaten up in the fall and one of the knobs got broken off, thankfully it still worked though! Because it was so new i couldn't get it repaired straight away because roland europe didn't have the parts for it, so we had to soldier on with it in its broken state for a few months. When it finally came back from roland all spangly and repaired i started the kosmischeboy live band up using it again as the heart of the sound, slaving all my midi from it's clock etc.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3147801&l=d497a8bb66&id=601255384

Me leaning on 808 number 1 and Fozz (AKA Kosmischeboy's Live Drummer) in our rehearsal studio circa 99. Also explains why i never smile much... "Howerdism" was still an issue then....

Eventually real life interfered and i had to put a hold on music stuff as well as slim down what i had so i got rid of the 808 and a bunch of other stuff and got an all in one box that sampled and sequenced (Yamaha rs7000) which i didn't really use much, thanks to the aforementioned real life it mostly stayed in it's box.

A few years later i was in a music shop in sheffield after a work meeting when i saw a second hand SP808 and also an MC505, the other powerhouse of our project blue book day, i spoke to the guy in the shop and he reserved them for me. I popped back a few days later and PXd my RS7000 for the pair of roland things. I was mega chuffed to get an 808 again and that kick started my recent creative phase which ultimately led to me quitting retail and going back to Uni to do all the digital media stuff and music i've been doing recently. I've still got it and i still use it live, in fact i used it last night at the digital scarborough event along with the 505 (that's pretty much my live rig now, occasionally with my micron thrown in for keyboard wibbles). I have had other more recent roland samplers but none captured me the way the Sp808 did. Having said that i will at some point get another rs7000 if i find one cheap enough, it had great potential which i didn't really use because my mind wasn't in the right place at the time. So there ya go... flashing lights, knobs and sliders ... are all you need to impress me!

i also have a soft spot for the korg prophecy too, it had one of the most playable keyboards ever and made some great sounds, again it was got rid of during the slim down, thankfully my mate bought it so i know i can probably get it back at some point when i am financially blessed... well i can hope!

a chuntering on a tad too much kosmischeboy
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

Mar 13, 2010, 21:06
I love them all! Or at least most of them, if I didn't I'd sell 'em. I love my first ever guitar, a battered Kay acoustic with a steel string head and a nylon string bridge which is slowly pulling away from the body. It would be totally broken except my dad and I bolted a big sheet of aluminium inside to spread the weight many years ago. It's filthy, got a hole drilled in the bottom where I once tried to electrify it, has the same 'This Machine Kills Facists' label sellotaped to the front that I made in 1999 (although not the same sellotape), sounds like shit and I love it.
I also love my Wesley Acrylic Electric guitar ( http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j4/Spaceshipmark/ZW3W4096.jpg ) that I bought for travelling purposes and has become THE spaceship guitar. It's awkward and badly balanced but its small enough to be out of the way when I'm not using it during a performance and it looks great under UV.
I also love my Yamaha CS01 synth ( http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j4/Spaceshipmark/ZW3W4220.jpg ) which I got for £70 off eBay and makes almost enough analoguey noises for my purposes and has strap buttons, just in case.
Finally I love this that my Dad built the insides of and I boxed up. It makes wierd noises and super analogue, shame it doesn't have any valves in it really... http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j4/Spaceshipmark/Early2009098.jpg

(oh and I will love my Brunswick Concert ukulele when I finally get the cash together to buy it...)
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Edited Mar 13, 2010, 22:17
Mar 13, 2010, 22:16
Ullapool is on the North Western coast of Scotland. The ferry from here takes to you Stornaway. Quite a few bands come over when warming up for bigger tours. Loopallu is a brilliant late summer festival held in the town!
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Mar 13, 2010, 23:14
Squid Tempest wrote:
redfish365 wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
redfish365 wrote:
I've got a few synths around and my favorite has to be my Moog Voyager. From some real nice presets one can twiddle and twist them into never before heard sounds of the ether. Or you can take a simple single oscillator tone and turn it into the tastiest sounds this side of Pluto.

You have a Voyager? Me jealous! I've recently got into the wonderful world of analogue synthesis via a Little Phatty, which I've grown to love dearly, but I'd love a Voyager.

I looked at the Little Phatty and its a nice machine but the Voyager is altogether another monster. It cost more obviously but tis worth it. Still I wish it had an onboard sequencer or at least an arpeggiator.

The arpeggiator on the LP is a welcome touch. And combined with the moogerfooger CP251 connected via CV it all gets a bit modular, which is nice. I've just recently got a Doepfer MAQ 16/3 sequencer which has made me come over all Tangerine Dream for the last few weeks.

Nice rig man! Can you plug the LP directly into the Doepfer or do you need something between them. Pretty sure the Doepfer works with either MIDI or CV and was wondering if it is possible to run without a laptop.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Mar 14, 2010, 00:29
That CS01 looks nice. Of course my main axe is the ARP Odyssey mark 3 I got for only $500 dollars. It's always been a conversation piece at every gig I've done with it. It's never let me down...
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Mar 14, 2010, 01:12
redfish365 wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
redfish365 wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
redfish365 wrote:
I've got a few synths around and my favorite has to be my Moog Voyager. From some real nice presets one can twiddle and twist them into never before heard sounds of the ether. Or you can take a simple single oscillator tone and turn it into the tastiest sounds this side of Pluto.

You have a Voyager? Me jealous! I've recently got into the wonderful world of analogue synthesis via a Little Phatty, which I've grown to love dearly, but I'd love a Voyager.

I looked at the Little Phatty and its a nice machine but the Voyager is altogether another monster. It cost more obviously but tis worth it. Still I wish it had an onboard sequencer or at least an arpeggiator.

The arpeggiator on the LP is a welcome touch. And combined with the moogerfooger CP251 connected via CV it all gets a bit modular, which is nice. I've just recently got a Doepfer MAQ 16/3 sequencer which has made me come over all Tangerine Dream for the last few weeks.

Nice rig man! Can you plug the LP directly into the Doepfer or do you need something between them. Pretty sure the Doepfer works with either MIDI or CV and was wondering if it is possible to run without a laptop.

The Doepfer is MIDI or CV, although if you run the LP via CV there are tuning issues related to the voltage output by the Doepfer. You can compensate for that by tuning the LP, but it is simpler on the whole to run it all via MIDI. I've yet to start playing around with feeding the CV out from the Doepfer into the LFO or the S&H on the CP-251 to drive the Little Phatty - hours of fun!
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Mar 14, 2010, 11:11
Mar 14, 2010, 10:59
I think I passed through it on the way to the Scorig which is something like 10 miles west of it. A festival held on an island, though the one I was at in '90 may have been the last one. Seem to remember that I thought the town seemed minute.

The ferry thing would explain why people passed through it though.
Is there much more there though, or is its small size part of the attraction for warm up gigs?

Stevo

p.s. just seen the place does indeed seem to be pretty small, but its 2 attractions are the ferry and music. Plus of course the rather epic scenery around there.
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Mar 14, 2010, 11:50
Yeah! Good idea. Much like how the Review section of Saturday's Guardian used to have a regular 'writers' rooms' feature, showing the desk and chair in a messy, but fascinating room full of reference material; books, photos and souvenirs etc. I think I've got some film of ours uploaded, somewhere...
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index