Your favourite musical instrument?

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: Your favourite musical instrument?
Mar 13, 2010, 05:21
I never like picking favorites, so I must add, besides the voice, a few instruments that evoke some kind of sonic homecoming for my ears.

The Oud... Very expressive, moody, rambling and mysterious.

The Banjo... naturally!

Grand Pianos with the damper off. Especially the low end of the keyboard.

Instruments that feature a lot of note bending-
Slide guitar, steel laptop guitar, cellos, dobros, tuned saws, fiddle...
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Mar 13, 2010, 08:09
Squid Tempest wrote:
redfish365 wrote:
I've got a few synths around and my favorite has to be my Moog Voyager. From some real nice presets one can twiddle and twist them into never before heard sounds of the ether. Or you can take a simple single oscillator tone and turn it into the tastiest sounds this side of Pluto.

You have a Voyager? Me jealous! I've recently got into the wonderful world of analogue synthesis via a Little Phatty, which I've grown to love dearly, but I'd love a Voyager.

I looked at the Little Phatty and its a nice machine but the Voyager is altogether another monster. It cost more obviously but tis worth it. Still I wish it had an onboard sequencer or at least an arpeggiator.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Mar 13, 2010, 09:14
always tended to be trumpet or violin that'd stand out from the rest of the music for me.
& drums tend to connect with me somehow. Especially hearing them on the street, if played well anyway.

Stevo
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Mar 13, 2010, 09:22
Mar 13, 2010, 09:21
Is that Ullapool the town, which I thought was minute/too obscure so unlikely to attract touring bands, or possibly the scoirig the music festival?

Or are the Mekons deliberately touring out of the way places?
Stevo
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Edited Mar 13, 2010, 11:08
Mar 13, 2010, 11:07
Ah, this is the sort of contribution to the thread I was hoping to find! Somebody who has some cherished, but battered old thing that they've invested time and a few bob on honing to their own personal preferences and requirements.

I hope you enjoy the new model as much as the old fella.

The bassist of my first ever band got his first Fender Precision back in '77, or thereabouts, but a few years down the line put it in part-ex against some Ibanez fretless job. Before long he'd got another Precision. However, it just wasn't like that first one.

I met him again, around a year ago. He's now a pro muzo with several Precisions. All sorts of different years and conditions. And he confessed that not a single one of them was a close replacement to that first one, still!

I've therefore told Chris my bassist to try to hold on to his cherished Jazz bass. Afterall on getting it new, he took it to our local luthor for a few tweaks to get its frets down and action up etc. He's currently running a Yamaha fretless and a Cort five string. But the Fender Jazz always comes to the gigs.
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Mar 13, 2010, 11:11
Tell us more about that particular SG. Where did you get it? Has it been modified for your own personal preferred style?
caldervalium
caldervalium
516 posts

Mar 13, 2010, 11:22
handofdave wrote:
I never like picking favorites, so I must add, besides the voice, a few instruments that evoke some kind of sonic homecoming for my ears.

The Oud... Very expressive, moody, rambling and mysterious.

The Banjo... naturally!

Grand Pianos with the damper off. Especially the low end of the keyboard.

Instruments that feature a lot of note bending-
Slide guitar, steel laptop guitar, cellos, dobros, tuned saws, fiddle...

Ah grand, another 'oud fan. I have an electric one, which sounds lovely/weird through my wah-wah pedal and echo unit.
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Edited Mar 13, 2010, 17:56
Mar 13, 2010, 11:25
I'm a drummer. I played in bands from 1976, graduating from my brother's secondhand homemade set to a very basic Premier Olympic four shell kit. With very limited funds I used to add things to it. It finally morphed into a huge collection of random secondhand percussive power. A pair of cheap rubbish Maxwin bass drums sat 'neath a row of toms, among which nestled the two original Olympic ones. And lots and lots of cymbals. No quality brands like Paiste or Zildjian. Just cheap trash. But lots. I mostly acquired these bits from Jones & Crossland, Drumworld, and Musical Exchanges in Birmingham between 1978 - 81.

To make the two black bass drums match the white toms I got some red, yellow and blue sheets of sticky back fablon and traced and cut circular spots. My kit became a psychedelic polkadot vision.

Then I got a proper kit. I was gigging and recording and needed something that didn't need lots of gaffa tape to eliminate rattles and buzzes that could be picked up in the studio. And something that fitted into less cases in the truck. I got a Premier APK kit. It was boring. I don't like the two toms mounted on the bass drum configuration really, it served a purpose, though. And the Wonder Stuff road crew could quickly get it soundchecked on the nights we were touring with them.

That band played it's final gig in Derby supporting the Parachute Men, in 1989.

Then, in 1990, having left the midlands for a new life... I sold that drum kit to an eleven year old girl in north London, who played in a thrash metal band. And that marked the day I stopped being a drummer.

EDIT: End of part one.
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Edited Mar 13, 2010, 18:00
Mar 13, 2010, 17:53
Part Two
So, something like thirteen years elapsed. I'd moved to London got married got work, lost work and got a kid. It was through meeting new friends having relocated to Shropshire that I started drumming again. At first some cheap and nasty plastic headed bongos, so I could jam along to my mate who played the African djembe hand drum. A little later I bought a drum kit from an old mate in Derbyshire. He's a mate of ToneStone's and played in the Bland.

The kit was another five piece set up, but of a cheaper make. However, a friend who had helped him buy it had generously added a really good DW bass drum pedal and a couple of stands. On collecting the kit, I asked whether this mysterious mate might want his bits back at some point was reassured that he wouldn't. As he was in prison. "Well, what about when he gets out?" I asked. "He ain't coming out" My mate replied. It turns out that those nice bits of the kit belonged to a murderer who was found by police nursing his father's head, whilst out in the garden was his half-arsed and abandoned efforts to bury the headless corpse.

By 2004 I was back in a band. Albeit a local bunch of dads, but it was time to get some proper drums. I got an eBay bargain. Somehow the vendor had failed to use the words "drum" and "kit" in the item's description, so nobody else found it or bid. I got it for his silly starting price! It's an old Mapex drum kit, two toms, an old vintage 1970s Premier snare drum and a monstrous 24 inch diameter bass drum. To this I added some of the murderer's accessories, selling the old five piece to the former drummer of the Macc Lads, who lives nearby. Those cheap and nasty bongos are also on this current kit, acting as sort of rubbish, trashy timbales.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=249044474&albumID=926769&imageID=8850504#a=926769&i=8850504
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Mar 13, 2010, 19:23
redfish365 wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
redfish365 wrote:
I've got a few synths around and my favorite has to be my Moog Voyager. From some real nice presets one can twiddle and twist them into never before heard sounds of the ether. Or you can take a simple single oscillator tone and turn it into the tastiest sounds this side of Pluto.

You have a Voyager? Me jealous! I've recently got into the wonderful world of analogue synthesis via a Little Phatty, which I've grown to love dearly, but I'd love a Voyager.

I looked at the Little Phatty and its a nice machine but the Voyager is altogether another monster. It cost more obviously but tis worth it. Still I wish it had an onboard sequencer or at least an arpeggiator.

The arpeggiator on the LP is a welcome touch. And combined with the moogerfooger CP251 connected via CV it all gets a bit modular, which is nice. I've just recently got a Doepfer MAQ 16/3 sequencer which has made me come over all Tangerine Dream for the last few weeks.
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index