IanB
6761 posts

Edited Feb 16, 2010, 16:04
Re: Unsung Traffic?
Feb 16, 2010, 15:42
Squid Tempest wrote:
IanB wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
All this reminded me that I met Jim Capaldi briefly back in the 70s when he did a gig at our college. I just did a quick net search, but I can't work out what band he was playing with at the time - a "solo" show with other musicians is all I remember. He was really good.

*whilst looking at the Wiki, I notice that his first name was actually Nicola. Bet that went down well at school...

Brilliant. He had a bit of a Rock n Roll Rasputin look about him so maybe it was Nikolai?

I bought one of his solo records because I loved On The Road and he had all the members of Traffic AND Koss guesting on it. It was crap though. IIRC it's a sort of Dave Crosby lite record though I haven't heard it in 34 years. Dave Mason was probably much better at that kind of thing.

I wish I could remember more about the gig, but it is lost in the mists of time. I only remember enjoying it, and having a brief "hello, great gig" moment with Mr Capaldi afterwards. I'd like to know who was on stage with him. It would have been about 1977 I guess.

If I had guess I would bet on at least three of Mel Collins, Tim Hinkley, Charlie Whitney, Neil Hubbard and Alan Spenner being in the band. They seemed to turn up everywhere in those days! I think there was an extended OGWT performance around that time or onw of those In Concert things from Golders Green with no audience in the stalls. You are right about the Mists though!

Unsung Forum Index