Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Feb 16, 2010, 09:09
Re: Unsung Traffic?
Feb 16, 2010, 09:04
Dog 3000 wrote:
"On The Road" is even a little krauty . . . and in fact Rebop Kwaku Bah (sic) later joined Can!

I love the synchroniciites on this forum. I am not much of a fan of their early studio records but I was playing the "On The Road" album just yesterday morning.

They were much more focused than your average Jam Band work out. No one solos stupidly or stupidly long and the playing is more in the Hi / Stax / Muscle Shoals thread of things (hence the inclusion of the likes of Hood and Beckett in the band). One of the great album covers too. I remember seeing it in the racks of Virgin and getting that "must have this" feeling. The record that it reminds me of most in some ways is Man's "Be Good To Yourself". Has that great and rare combination of being a very stoned record that plays long but with lots of focus.

Per your other point - Traffic developed a bit of a bad rep because of Winwood being seen to be part of that Collins / Cocker / Palmer, roll your suit jacket sleeves past your elbows, scene in the 80s. And his career long proximity to Eric Clapton. And Jim Capaldi was never really considered cool. And no Punk Rockers put their hands up for them either. So the critics were never going to keep the flame alight.

There are three great bootlegs, all recorded in London, from 70, 73 and 74 that are all worth having and are very decent audio quality. The earlier material is the Winwood, Wood, Capaldi trio with Winwood playing bass pedals and some of it is the Big Band.

Unsung Forum Index