Teadrop Explodes - Wilder
Steve Hillage - L
Dr John - Gris Gris
Fripp & Eno - No Pussyfooting
Love - Love/Da Capo
Talk Talk - Spirit Of Eden
Miles Davis - Birth Of The Cool/In A Silent Way
The Eighteenth day Of May - self titled

Plus: a cornucopia of pyschedelic treaures ( thanks zphage & L man ).
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2608 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 24 January 2010 CE
Jan 24, 2010, 13:03
Welcome to Fitter's weekly "sad and stuck in the 70's" selection. This week's spins:

The Rezillos 'Can't Stand The Rezillos' - There was nothing punk about this lot: rather they were a damn fine rhythm & blues band in the early Feelgoods mould, with an added sense of party fun. Jo Callis could strum a riff as catchy as ebola. If this don't blow away those winter blues, man you're dead;

Traffic 'Traffic' - their second album from 1968 has some particularly fine melodies, such as the searingly lovely 'No Time To Live', one of Steve Winwood's finest achievements on record, and that's saying something;

10cc 'Sheet Music', 'The Original Soundtrack' and 'How Dare You!' - in their mid-70's pomp, the original line-up of 10cc made some awesome music, which I reckon has stood the test of time really well. Ever derided for being "too clever" (which is a bit like knocking Monroe for being too beautiful - yeah, and?) there's more originality and pure invention in a song like 'I'm Mandy Fly Me' than in a bucketload of hipper contemporaries' records. 'One Night In Paris', 'The Worst Band In The World', 'The Second Sitting For The Last Supper', 'I Wanna Rule The World' - unsung classics all in my book;

Curtis Mayfield 'Curtis' - groundbreaking debut solo effort from one of soul music's true greats, and another record that sounds as fresh and vibrant as the day it was minted an amazing 40 years ago. Love it, me.

Humble Pie "Natural Born Bugie - The Immediate Anthology' - terrific collection of the mighty Pie's early recordings, with Messrs Frampton and Marriott outsparring each other with aplomb. Altogether now..."Knick, knick...KNICKERS DOWN"!

I've also dug out some venerable old LPs such as Global Village Trucking Company's eponymous album (hippy pub rock, natch!), Kevin Coyne's wonderfully disturbed 'Marjory Razorblade' (anyone got the new remaster yet?) and The Monochrome Set's Canterburyesque 'Love Zombies' (Bid had to be a Richard Sinclair fan, methinks). These and Carlo Maria Giulini's superb live Bruckner 8th with the Berlin Philharmonic, newly issued on Testament, made for a satisfying week musically.

May your aural joys be similarly fulfilling, learned dudes.

Dave x
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Jan 24, 2010, 13:24
Fitter Stoke wrote:
The Monochrome Set's Canterburyesque 'Love Zombies' (Bid had to be a Richard Sinclair fan, methinks).

Ha! yes sir!

;-)
keith a
9572 posts

Jan 24, 2010, 17:28
Fitter Stoke wrote:

'I Wanna Rule The World'

One of the daftest, silliest, maddest records ever made!!

I rememeber hearing it on the radio in the mid-80's for the first time in years, and thinking "I'd forgotten just how mental this track is!!"
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Edited Jan 24, 2010, 18:46
Jan 24, 2010, 17:56
The detritus around the stereo indicates the following may have been played recently...

Oh, and like Fitter i've been on a bit of a 70's trip ( no change there then ! )

Kickin' off with a bit of jazz-fusion...

NARADA MICHAEL WALDEN - Garden Of Lovelight - One of my guiltiest pleasures, despite the cheesily earnest lyrics devoted to the most part to Sri Chimnoy there's some fine playing to be heard on this. Shame that the likes of Narada / Michael Henderson / Reggie Lucas achieved their greatest success with their disco, soul-lite, pop production work in the 80's. Not that i begrudge them their success, it's just that they'd have made rather a kickass trio IMO.

LENNY WHITE - Streamline - Great to hear Struttin' and 12 Bars From Mars again. Guess i like my fusion with the emphasis on the rock.

MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA - Birds Of Fire - Stellar stuff, no dodgy lyrics either !

MILES DAVIS - Agharta - See comment above.

Enough of the muso flash, let's move onto a self styled non-musician. So in preparation for Fridays Enofest on BBC4 this lot got a play...

DAVID BOWIE - Low - Despite the odd moment through the 'soul years' that i really liked ( the tracks Fame / Station To Station / Stay, all spring to mind ) that period really wasn't my bag, both then and now. Low / Heroes / Lodger are another matter entirely although it took me a little while to succumb to Low's charms as a spotty teenager, Ultimately though it became one of my favourites of his and one of those rare records that opened my eyes to new musical pastures, and for that I'll be forever grateful.

ENO - Another Green World - And yet another that helped change my perception of music.

FRIPP & ENO - Evening Star - See comment above.

TALKING HEADS - Fear Of Music - Remain In Light gets the plaudits for its innovative fusion of styles and its almighty grooves ( and rightly so ) but for me personally, the more song based stuff on here is every bit its equal.

BYRNE & ENO - My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts - The daddy of future music !

BUDD & ENO - Plateaux of Mirror - Bloomin' gorgeous.

Still stuck in the 70's...

TODD RUNDGREN - A Wizard / A True Star - Think he was touched by genius during the period between Something Anything and Todd with AWATS at the pinnacle. Side 1 of which would be a contender for the greatest psychedelic music ever thread in my book. Foolishly i didn't get a ticket for the upcoming performance of this so looking forward to hearing any reports from those lucky enough to attend.

HERE & NOW BAND - Rivington Pike 1 and 2 - Some great improvised spacerock to be found here despite the sonic limitations of the original cassette tape source material (it's still a remarkably good salvage job, mind). It's difficult for me to be objective about this as they were such an important part of my teenage years. Any newcomers to Gong or Hillage should probably check 'em out though.

GONG - You - 'Nuff said already !

And onwards into the 80's...

CABARET VOLTAIRE - 2 x45 - Thanks to Jim Tones for the prompt on this, really enjoyed hearing this again, especially Protection which kinda put me in mind of Klaus Dinger jamming with Nik Turner when i played it yesterday.

GARY CLAIL'S TACKHEAD SOUND SYSTEM - Tackhead Tape Time - If you only get one record by Clail or Tackhead then get this, it's fuckin' immense !

BARRINGTON LEVI - Under Mi Sensi 12" - Biddley- biddley-woah-a-woah. Don't like much reggae beyond about 1980 but i do rate this.

LEE SCRATCH PERRY - Time Boom X De Devil - Once again, see above.

ALAN VEGA - Saturn Strip - Many thanks to the Indoor Miner for this. Feel like a complete nob for letting this pass me by back in the day as Vega's such an original talent. Must have thought things would go downhill after Suicide split, i guess.

Get a move on Bubbs, into the 90's ( but only just ) ...

SPACEMEN 3 - Recurring - Don't care that this is essentially two solo mini LP's, it's still a fab disc. Jason's side just getting the, er, nod over Sonic's.

AFRICAN HEADCHARGE - Songs Of Praise - Uplifting stuff, almost transcendent at times. Probably the latest reggae record i own ( 1990 ) but have heard they've got a new one out in a similar vein so must check that out.

SPIRITUALIZED ELECTRIC MAINLINE - Pure Phase + Associated EP's - The warm, fucked up, fuzzy mix on this ( two seperate mono mixes ? ) suits the lyrical and musical content perfectly. I can't think of another track that captures a certain kinda drug experience better than Let It Flow either.

Finally, the Noughties...

M83 - Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts

FOURTET - Pause

BOREDOMS - Vision Creation Newsun

AN ASSORTMENT OF WIRE - Compiled by that lovely Indoor Miner fella to fill a few holes in my collection. The Late Junction radio session with Colin Newman and Tortoise is a belter considering they only had a day in the studio to get it together.

MGMT - Orracular Spectacular - Modern pop music doesn't get any better.

Oh, and a couple of comps on Finders Keepers too, namely - A CELESTIAL MASS and THE BYG DEAL.

Happy listening Heads,

Mark x
a23
a23
1004 posts

Jan 24, 2010, 19:00
Was sorting thru some old LPs to put them up on Discogs marketplace, so had the odd listenright thru to:

Barracudas - i wish it was 1965 again

Haemorrhoids - uranus

johnny thunders - in cold blood

pandoras- stop pretending

fleshtones -

hanoi rocks - oriental beat

gun club - birth/death/ghost

taxi boys - s/t

vice squad - shot away

wrathchild (!) - stakk attakk

threshold houseboys choir - amulet edition

plus some other stuff:

magazine - secondhand daylight

Coil - ape of naples / ambulance died in his arms / live 4 / black antlers

bowie - aladdin sane

the heads - tilburg - this is really good

gunter schickert - samtvogel

eternal tapestry - mystic induction / invisible landscape

nick drake - pink moon

230 divisadero - vision of lost unity

arthur brown - crazy world of

sunn 0))) - monoliths & dimensions
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Jan 24, 2010, 19:29
Dom/Edge of Time
IQ/Tales from the Lush Attic
Radio Massacre International/Time & Motion
Causa Sui/Summer Sessions Vol. 1-3
Clark-Hutchinson/Blues
Julian Cope/Black Sheep
Third Ear Band/Alchemy
Atomic Rooster/In Hearing Of
Flying Saucer Attack/ST
Jack Dangers/Forbidden Planet Explored
Dragontears/2000 Micrograms from Home
Les Mogols/Danses et Rythmes de la Turquie
Astra/The Weirding
Deuter/Aum
Black Widow/Sacrifice
Circle/Tyrant and also Forest
Heldon/Allez Teia
Richard Pinhas/Rhizosphere
Hawkwind/Warrior on the Edge of Time

...ending each day with Tangerine Dream/Encore to sleep...
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Jan 24, 2010, 20:08
miles davis - get up with it on heavy rotation and bloomin marvellous
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited Jan 24, 2010, 20:58
Jan 24, 2010, 20:24
Magazine - Real Life + Thereafter - DVD live in Manchester Feb 09 (wire-sound). Excellent document of the whole gig from last year - brilliantly filmed. Noko was certainly the best man for the job.
http://www.wire-sound.com/shop/magazine/magazine--real-life--thereafter-dvd/

TG - Gristleism Box - nicely put together TG take on FM3's buddha box concept - particularly enjoy altering the pitch control on the Maggot Death loop.
http://tg.greedbag.com/buy/gristleism-the-badged-limited-ed/

Kevin Drumm - Imperial Horizon

Telex - Looking for Saint Tropez.

Eno/ Hassell - Fourth World Vol 1 - really enjoyed the BBC4 Eno documentary.

Various KPM library albums. Loads of great Keith Mansfield albums...
http://thelibraryhunt.blogspot.com/search/label/KPM

Have a good week.

8)
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index