Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 24 January 2010 CE

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
earthlingfred93
1115 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 24 January 2010 CE
Jan 24, 2010, 20:59
Opel...Syd Barrett
Fegmania / gotta let this hen out / I often dream of trains and Black snake diamond role...Robyn Hitchcock
Piper...Pink floyd
Caravan / For girls that grow plump....caravan
Sarabande / Re-animator...paul Roland
Encore....tangerine dream
Monster movie...Can
The remains...S/T
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Jan 24, 2010, 22:20
Michael Nyman - "A Walk Through H"; "Mozart"; The Draughtsman's Contract
Blurt -Blurt + Singles. New LTM compilation of first studio LP and early A+B sides.
A Certain Ratio - Greetings Four 12"

Cathal Coughlan -Black River Falls - been playing this to the exclusion of much else this week, hence the short-ish list. Not sure why I didn't give this much of a chance at the time (2000), it's brilliant and contains at least three Coughlan classics in "Officer Material", "Black River Falls" and "N.C.".

V/A -Discoteque Volume 1: Hacienda double CD

Beak -Recordings
Black Sheep -The Unruly Imagination
The Fall - "Slippy Floor" CD single
John Foxx & Robin Guthrie -Mirrorball
Franz Ferdinand -Tonight: Franz Ferdinand
Tim Friese-Greene -10 Sketches For Piano Trio
Gold Panda -Before EP CD-R
Robin Guthrie -Angel Falls EP
PJ Harvey & John Parrish -A Man A Woman Walked By
Ike Yard -Ost
Section 25 -Nature + Degree
The Slits - Trapped Animal
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Jan 24, 2010, 23:26
Have you heard about Peter Hook's new Fac251 venue opening on the 5th Feb? There's a video diary of the building work here..
http://video.aol.co.uk/video-detail/fac251-video-diary-episode-1/4076155979

8)
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Jan 25, 2010, 00:27
Quite.

Wonderful, Isn't it?
keith a
9573 posts

Jan 25, 2010, 08:37
Fitter Stoke wrote:
Quite.

Wonderful, Isn't it?

Well I think so!
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1709 posts

Jan 25, 2010, 13:13
White Hills- S/T.

A real cracker from t' hills. The rocky bits rock harder and the drifty bits drift softer. Crikey, I'm meant to be writing a review of this this week n'all. Paul Morley, watch out!

The Sticks- S/T.

Long-awaited debut from Brighton avant-garage trio. Three parts Monks to one part Fall. A touch of Dandelion Adventure, or that may just be me. Released as a ten-track double seven-inch single; the CD version has ten bonus tracks.

Extra Life- Made Flesh.

Crazy modernist prog avant-garde... craziness. King Crimson Gregorian Chant John Zorn-ness. Honest.

Einstellung- Wings of Desire.

Krautrock brilliance from Brum. Neu/Loop/MBV/Sonic Youth/Hawkwind monstrosity.

Various Artists- An Taobh Tuathail Volume 3

These New Puritans- Beat Pyramid

Mirrors- Hands in my Pockets

Morgen- S/T

David Bowie- Low

Nick Drake- Pink Moon

Kris Kristofferson- Songs of Kristofferson.
keith a
9573 posts

Jan 25, 2010, 15:51
LP’s

STRANGE DAYS – The Doors
It’s easy to take The Doors for granted, and post-movie they have become something of whipping boys. Jim was a cock, his poetry was shit, etc, etc. Maybe – and Ray Manzarek certainly comes across as a somewhat laughable figure in his Light My Fire autobiography – but...listening to this album is still an absolute treat. Great songs – I particularly enjoyed the more ballady numbers like You’re Lost Little Girl and Moonlight Drive this week – played with such great understanding by these musicians. I’m not big on guitar solo’s, but Kreigers guitar work here is awesome. And When The Music Takes Over, which I wrongly considered a poor relation to The End the first time I heard it in my Sixth Form days, is a staggering piece of music. That intro, with RM’s keyboards leading into Densmore drum roll and Jim’s scream, still sounds awesome.

THE BACK ROOM – Editors
I liked this Interpol-lite debut album at the time, but hadn’t liked anything else by them till I heard the Cagedbaby Remix of the new single, You don’t Know Love, and positively disliked some tracks. This , however, is fab. Available to download here...
http://www.zshare.net/audio/7004654673a6c68e/

9.30 CLUB 2007 – The Stooges
Pretty good live recording. Interesting running order, though. They play all the classics from the first two albums first and then start playing newer stuff 2/3 of the way in.

Also...
BRYTER LAYTER – Nick Drake
LANDING – Githead
PRIMARY COLOURS – The Horrors
LIVE & INTERMITTENT – Magazine

45’s
OUT OF THE FLESH – Chakk
A quick check confirms that this was my favourite single of 1984!

NOTHING BROKE EP – Meursault
Kinda folky act from Scotland (I think). My wife said the fab opening track reminded her of Sigue Ros, however, and I can see what she means.

RUSSIAN ROULETTE – Rihanna
There I was, taken hostage by the rest of the family, and forced to endure one of the closing episodes of the last series of X Factor...I was doing my best not to grumble, and moan about how shite the last few remaining contestants were and try to enjoy it for what it was – a living soap opera based around a talent contest, rather than doing my usual and sitting there like some old cantankerous git in the corner, endlessly quoting Neil Tennant about how this ‘revenge of the stage school brat’ had taken pop music back to its pre-Beatles days when puppets sang carefully selected songs. And then the special guest Rihanna came on. Sure she’s got years of experience compared to these bland wannabe’s, but immediately you were struck by the fact that she was the real deal. A proper pop star. Not everyone thought it was a great performance – there were murmurs that she was slightly out of tune, but to me this was a victory for feeling over technique. It probably won’t be many people’s cup of tea here, but it’s my favourite mainstream pop single in ages.

WAR SUCKS – Spectrum
I missed out on this last year, but early listens are promising indeed. Contains covers of Red Crayola and Lurie Anderson tracks apparently though TBH I don’t know either of them. This is what the blurb says...
Between the four tracks it covers the whole gamut of SPECTRUM's unique & influential take on Pop, Psychedelia, Rock & Experimental formats. Known for pushing the boundaries with experimental music whilst also writing pop-styled classics such as How You Satisfy Me and highly charged songs like Revolution, the EP draws together the best of SPECTRUM's material hinting at the variety of songs that will feature on the album due for release later in the year.

Also...
LOVE IS A WAVE – Crystal Stilts
THE MESSAGE – Grandmaster Flash
REBEL YELL – Billy Idol
SEE THA' LIGHT – Alan Vega / ARE Weapons
LIQUID MERCURY – Wild Swans

1983 PEEL SESSION – The Fall
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Jan 25, 2010, 16:20
Er, can certainly relate to your X Factor experiences !

As for Chakk's Out Of The Flesh, i must give that a spin again. Ooo, still stickered at £2.79 too.
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

Jan 25, 2010, 16:26
I've been pounding the Beefheart since Friday so the list begins with...

Capt Beefheart - Safe As Milk
Strictly Personal
Mirror Man
Lick My Decals Off, Baby

La Roux - La Roux - surprisingly a very good album. Loved the singles Bulletproof, In For The Kill and I'm Not Your Toy but the rest of it stands up just as well.

Lady Gaga - The Fame Monster - haha, yeah, I know, but Bad Romance is a superb song. Plus my 2 year old loves it, and my wife sings along to it in the car. Unlike La Roux, it's all about the singles on this one for me. The rest pales in comparison.

The Kills - Keep On Your Mean Side - not played this one for years. Still sounds nice and sleazy.

Wooden Shjips - Dos additional 'record store day' mix cd - came with the initial quantities of Dos. Damn fine mix.

Vampire Weekend - S/T debut - I like this one. Only just got round to buying it with a Xmas voucher courtesy of HMV's 2 for a tenner deal.

Country Joe & The Fish - Electric Music For Your Mind & Body - I dig this one out every so often and it takes me right back to when I first discovered West Coast psychedelia, rinsed my brainbox with some blotters, smoked silly amounts of the good stuff and generally swung around town like a teenage bum.....which did get frowned upon in my part of Essex. Marvellous album.
a23
a23
1004 posts

Jan 25, 2010, 17:24
Lonesome Cowboy Bill wrote:

Lady Gaga - The Fame Monster - haha, yeah, I know, but Bad Romance is a superb song. Plus my 2 year old loves it, and my wife sings along to it in the car. Unlike La Roux, it's all about the singles on this one for me. The rest pales in comparison.

i've got this sitting in my basket at amazon - can't quite bring myself to purchase it - but i really like the singles & the vids she does and have a bit of respect for her...
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index