Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 10 January 2010 CE
Jan 10, 2010, 21:55
dodge one wrote:
This thing with people jumping in and letting you KNOW how much they think YOUR tastes and choices suck....

Know what you mean, but on the other hand, it is quite nice when people either agree with your choices, or get reminded of things they like and go dig 'em out for the first time in a while. That's why I enjoy it - tiz good to be pointed in the direction of good stuff I haven't heard etc.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Jan 10, 2010, 21:58
Squid Tempest wrote:
it is quite nice when people either agree with your choices, or get reminded of things they like and go dig 'em out for the first time in a while. That's why I enjoy it - tiz good to be pointed in the direction of good stuff I haven't heard etc.

Couldn't agree more Squid.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jan 10, 2010, 21:59
thesweetcheat wrote:

Quality stuff here ME. Obviously I applaud the conversion from your first thoughts on the Durutti box (which is a real bargain), you may be right about the appeal to our metal-lovin' friends though. Not seeing a Durutti sludge-metal album appearing any time soon.

Agree completely about the Ubu-quality-tail-off too.

probably got the snow to thank for the Durutti conversion, I wanted something gentle to listen too whilst driving through early morning blizzards, and after a while I realised there is a lot more going on than I initially thought.
keith a
9573 posts

Jan 10, 2010, 22:00
IanB wrote:
Of course it was patronising and deliberately so (see below). Stop telling people their taste is crap and then putting a smiley after the barb. It's a bit weak and certainly not meant affectionately given you are someone with such strong opinions about other people's alleged lapses of judgement. State an opinion. Fine. Why go out of your way to personalise it?

I wasn't being serious. That's what a ; ) means. I didn't think I would have to spell that out. I mistakenly thought we had put our difference behind us and were able to communicate on an affable level.

My mistake clearly. Funny that it's OK for you to insinuate Kid's taste is crap though.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Jan 10, 2010, 22:02
machineryelf wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

Quality stuff here ME. Obviously I applaud the conversion from your first thoughts on the Durutti box (which is a real bargain), you may be right about the appeal to our metal-lovin' friends though. Not seeing a Durutti sludge-metal album appearing any time soon.

Agree completely about the Ubu-quality-tail-off too.

probably got the snow to thank for the Durutti conversion, I wanted something gentle to listen too whilst driving through early morning blizzards, and after a while I realised there is a lot more going on than I initially thought.

If you like that you could try the new album "A Paean To Wilson" (all instrumental, if you can't cope with Vini's singing), which is a blinder.
keith a
9573 posts

Jan 10, 2010, 22:03
IanB wrote:
Your post however got pretty much the response it deserved.

In your opinion. I thought it was nasty, patronising and mean-sprited to a comment that was made in jest.

IanB wrote:

Goose. Gander.

Exactly.
keith a
9573 posts

Jan 10, 2010, 22:08
thesweetcheat wrote:

Now that we have the wonders of the internet, perhaps I should try to find out who it is.

Or get someone with that 'app' on their i-phone that somehow, magically identifies pretty much any track.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Jan 10, 2010, 22:09
keith a wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

Now that we have the wonders of the internet, perhaps I should try to find out who it is.

Or get someone with that 'app' on their i-phone that somehow, magically identifies pretty much any track.

They have an app that can play an LP? Now I'm impressed!

:-)
keith a
9573 posts

Edited Jan 10, 2010, 22:11
Jan 10, 2010, 22:10
I've not heard Manafon, but I'm interested after this slating!

http://www.evilsponge.org/albums/SylvianDavid__Manafon.htm
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1707 posts

Jan 10, 2010, 22:25
Mudhoney- Since We've Become Translucent
Mudhoney- Under A Billion Suns.

Bought these two in the New Year Sale in my local record shop for £1.99. I must admit I've not kept up with Mudhoney since the days of Touch Me I'm Sick, but was a bit of a fan back then and saw them play some great shows. I remembered reading that Since We've Become Translucent (2002) and its 2006 follow-up were returns to form- back on Sub Pop too- so I investigated. Pretty good stuff. They've moved on- less grungey, more soulful and psychedelic. Horn sections fairly prominent, but still rocking hard. Yes, worthwhile purchases I would say.

Elvis Costello- When I Was Cruel. One pound charity shop find. I have all of Elvis's albums up to 1989's 'Spike' on vinyl, and this 2002 release was one of his periodic returns to Attractions-style pop songwriting with a bitter, sardonic edge, though use of loops and samples make it more contemporary. Again, a worthy addition to his canon.

Stanley Brinks and the Wave Pictures- S/T. Forthcoming album from the guy out of Herman Dune. Very enjoyable lo-fi beat pop in a Modern Lovers mould.

The Datsuns- Outta Sight / Outta Mind. Again, in the sales. Fairly innessential stuff, but, y'know, capable hard rock. Misses the cute girly bvs of the debut and doesn't really add anything.

The Mooney Suzuki- Electric Sweat. Sales again. The retro-garage sound of 2002 revisited...

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs- Fever To Tell. Charity shop. Should've bought this sooner. A fine indie pop record.

The Klaxons- Myths of the Near Future. Ditto this. Apparently the follow-up got turned doen by their label for being too experimental. Prog rock meets dubstep, say the band. Progstep? Would love to hear it.

French for Cartridge- Liquorice. Excellent new skewed pop gem.

Scout Niblett- The Calcination of Scout Niblett. Scout does her usual lo-fi, stripped down PJ Harvey type thing, but it's excellent as ever.

Kraftwerk- 2. I'm enjoying this very much at the moment.

Crosby, Stills and Nash- CSN. This is growing on me very much. Steely Dan-esque in the production, but still stripped back in the playing. A warm comfort blanket LP.

Arch Garrison- King of the Down. Very fine solo album by Craig Fortnam of North Sea Radio Orchestra. Out of tune estuary accent vocals and pastoral acoustic guitar musings.

Darren Hayman- Great British Holidays. Includes covers of Lindsey Buckingham, Connie Francis and Chas n' Dave.

Electrafixion- Burned. More spirit than recent Bunnymen for sure, though sounding a bit dated now.

The Action- 16 Slices of... Classic north London Mod pop and blue-eyed soul.

The Human League- Reproduction. For all his flaws (or because of them) I think Phil Oakey may be one of my favourite singers. Strange but true.
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index