Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 10 January 2010 CE
Jan 10, 2010, 22:25
Bloody hell! It's a bit harsh.

I must admit I was surprised the album made the Wire Top 10 when the review there had been a bit of a slagging too. Personally, I think it's pretty good. Sylvian's voice is great and the lyrics are typically oblique and reward repeat listens. The music is fairly non-intrusive and doesn't especially do much for me, I must say. I first listened to it on holiday in Cornwall in the evening with the window open, and the sound of waves lapping and seagulls crying pretty much replaced the music itself (not in a bad way, actually) leaving me with just the vocals.

I have to say I like Blemish, so don't really subscribe to some of the reviewer's other points anyway. Not sure why he feels Sylvian can't use a Welsh album title even though he's not Welsh, seems a bit unecessarily pedantic and petulant. Personally though I prefer Nine Horses' Snow Borne Sorrow to either of the last two proper Sylvian albums.
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1706 posts

Jan 10, 2010, 22:40
thesweetcheat wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
The Fall - Early Fall 77-79
An old vinyl comp on Step Forward. Fantastic collection which sounds brill on my nice turntable.

I bought a copy of this LP from a second hand place in Hereford many years ago when I was at school. I had got "In Palace Of Swords" by then so expected more of the same. I was very surprised to hear an LP of country and western. I still don't know who is on this LP, but it sure isn't MES! As a further aside, I bought a copy of Live '77 (now deleted I think) a few years aso and it actually does play Early Fall 77-79 instead and I have since heard two further copies the same. Still never heard Live '77!

Eh? You must have a different album to me. This is deffo MES in fine form. Psykick Dancehall, Firey Jack, Dice Man, Bingo Masters Breakout, Rowche Rumble - classics all.

I do, mine is a misspress of something else (C+W) and I still don't know what it actually is - it's pretty terrible from what I remember. I have the Early album on CD (twice if you include the Live '77 one!). It is a classic.

I used to have a copy of that Harvest double LP of 'The Madcap Laughs' and 'Barrett.' Fine till you put on side 2 of Barrett, when suddenly it turned into some fairly nondescript US hip-hop! I took it back to the shop, saying either this is a mispress, or I've discovered the REAL reason Syd was kicked out of the Floyd. His new rap direction was just too much for Waters, Mason and Wright to stand...
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jan 10, 2010, 22:45
thesweetcheat wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
it is quite nice when people either agree with your choices, or get reminded of things they like and go dig 'em out for the first time in a while. That's why I enjoy it - tiz good to be pointed in the direction of good stuff I haven't heard etc.

Couldn't agree more Squid.

I've come across more new and different stuff through this thread over the years than pretty much any other source I can think of.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jan 10, 2010, 22:46
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
The Fall - Early Fall 77-79
An old vinyl comp on Step Forward. Fantastic collection which sounds brill on my nice turntable.

I bought a copy of this LP from a second hand place in Hereford many years ago when I was at school. I had got "In Palace Of Swords" by then so expected more of the same. I was very surprised to hear an LP of country and western. I still don't know who is on this LP, but it sure isn't MES! As a further aside, I bought a copy of Live '77 (now deleted I think) a few years aso and it actually does play Early Fall 77-79 instead and I have since heard two further copies the same. Still never heard Live '77!

Eh? You must have a different album to me. This is deffo MES in fine form. Psykick Dancehall, Firey Jack, Dice Man, Bingo Masters Breakout, Rowche Rumble - classics all.

I do, mine is a misspress of something else (C+W) and I still don't know what it actually is - it's pretty terrible from what I remember. I have the Early album on CD (twice if you include the Live '77 one!). It is a classic.

I used to have a copy of that Harvest double LP of 'The Madcap Laughs' and 'Barrett.' Fine till you put on side 2 of Barrett, when suddenly it turned into some fairly nondescript US hip-hop! I took it back to the shop, saying either this is a mispress, or I've discovered the REAL reason Syd was kicked out of the Floyd. His new rap direction was just too much for Waters, Mason and Wright to stand...

Hehe!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jan 10, 2010, 22:49
thesweetcheat wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

Quality stuff here ME. Obviously I applaud the conversion from your first thoughts on the Durutti box (which is a real bargain), you may be right about the appeal to our metal-lovin' friends though. Not seeing a Durutti sludge-metal album appearing any time soon.

Agree completely about the Ubu-quality-tail-off too.

probably got the snow to thank for the Durutti conversion, I wanted something gentle to listen too whilst driving through early morning blizzards, and after a while I realised there is a lot more going on than I initially thought.

If you like that you could try the new album "A Paean To Wilson" (all instrumental, if you can't cope with Vini's singing), which is a blinder.

I've just looked up the Durrutti Column box - is it good then? Coz if so, what a bargain. Might have to get hold of one.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Jan 10, 2010, 22:59
Squid Tempest wrote:
I've just looked up the Durrutti Column box - is it good then? Coz if so, what a bargain. Might have to get hold of one.

I'm not really able to answer this impartially, as they're my favourite existing band and I tend to be enthusiastic about all their stuff. But you can't go wrong for the price. They currently release records on two different labels (Kooky and Artful) and this box includes the 5 albums they've done for Artful since 2001. "Keep Breathing" in particular is a great album. And if you like these albums there's about another 15, plus half a dozen compilations of non-album material.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jan 10, 2010, 23:10
Squid Tempest wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

Quality stuff here ME. Obviously I applaud the conversion from your first thoughts on the Durutti box (which is a real bargain), you may be right about the appeal to our metal-lovin' friends though. Not seeing a Durutti sludge-metal album appearing any time soon.

Agree completely about the Ubu-quality-tail-off too.

probably got the snow to thank for the Durutti conversion, I wanted something gentle to listen too whilst driving through early morning blizzards, and after a while I realised there is a lot more going on than I initially thought.

If you like that you could try the new album "A Paean To Wilson" (all instrumental, if you can't cope with Vini's singing), which is a blinder.

At that price you can't fail, only thing I'd heard was the first Morrisey cd and i loved Late Night Maudlin Street, certainly recommend Someone Else's Party & Keep Breathing from the Box, it's not going to rip your face off or impress you with flash technique, but it sounds lovely and it has layers you can keep peeling back, constantly you hear little things , notes, trills,swishes that keep it interesting
The vocals are nothing special, but they don't grate either, and they have some depth
It's never going to top any of my lists but I suspect that I'll give it a lot of listening, if only because it's easy without being bland and it sounds like nothing & nobody else whilst remaining inside a easily referenced frame
Will be nice if we have a summer this year
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jan 10, 2010, 23:18
Thanks folks - sounds interesting. I know some of the (very) early stuff, but that's it, so it'd be interesting to hear the more recent releases.
keith a
9572 posts

Jan 10, 2010, 23:19
You just hold your iphone against the speakers and it recognises the track. I haven't got an iphone meself, but I've seen it done. It's marvellous, I tell ya!!
keith a
9572 posts

Jan 10, 2010, 23:21
By coincidence I've just played that! Yeah, a cracking album.
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index